Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

bad buy on a truck

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2004, 09:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry bad buy on a truck

ok i paied too much for this and it is all going down hill. it is an 82 22r 5speed 6" lift has 33" thornbirds. it was suposto be a turn key thing after a timming adjustment but the camshaft bolt holding the timming chain gear on was broken and it has now a bad timing chain, crankshaft gear, keyway stub on camshaft is sheared off. and it is all starting to make me mad :wtf: :cry: i realy need to make it run so that i can start my dual cases and welded difs.
oh and on top of all his the house that i am renting si selling so now i need to find a new place to live.
Old 04-19-2004, 10:44 PM
Contributing Member

That sucks. Use this as an excuse to put in an RV cam since you will have it mostly torn apart anyways. You might as well.

Good Luck

Old 04-20-2004, 10:15 PM

Unhappy update on cam

so today i put a new keyway stub in and got the crank shaft turned top dead center but the cam will not turn. i made shure that it was not interfing with the pistons but it will not move. i set things so that they were all inline so that i could put the timming chain on and use the crankshaft to turn the cam and it was really hard and when it finaly spun it sheared the keyway pin off again :wtf: :cry: the timming gear spun on the camshaft. so my question is what would make the cam not spin. granted i bought the truck and it was not running at that time. please let me know. any good places to buy a complet head. i was thinking about LCengineernings street performer or stage two but they r a litle pricy. thanks a lot Neil Smith http://www.lcengineering.com/home.htm

Last edited by neil_P_smith; 04-20-2004 at 10:18 PM.
Old 04-22-2004, 07:15 PM

please help me know what will stop cam from turning

btt please help me know what will stop cam from turning
Old 04-22-2004, 07:22 PM

I want to guess that if the engine sucked a valve that it would be able to freeze up the cam. Anyone have any opinions on this?
Old 04-25-2004, 07:01 PM

ok got it runnin

hay thanks all the fool that i bought it from over torqued the cam bearing bolts and the cam is full of scraches so the bearing is not smooth at all and it was all locked up. i just losened it up a bit and put every thing back together as i dont realy care about this motor as i am getting a new one from the guy that sold it to me. as of now it is stuck in a big mud hole on a friends yard and we cant get it out already tore the motor mounts and a friends bumper off. any one around friday harbor that has a winch or lockers.
Old 04-25-2004, 07:10 PM
Banned

Sounds like butnut (Seller) went tearing around in things he shouldn't have.
The cam sould be torqued to like 14 ft. lbs. How bad are the cam bearings on the head? You may be able to salvage the head, but if you lost the chain when it was running... well it's an interferance engine and "cruncho" to a valve or two. Not to mention what damge the pistons and cylinder wall may have incurred Did the engine just totally sieze up on you? Might want to start tearing apart the top end of it and have a look see.
Old 04-25-2004, 07:25 PM
Contributing Member

Don't feel too bad about your purchase. I bought a '83 from a guy who was less than forthcoming about the total amout of rust. He did say that the frame was a little rusty. That was an understatement. I can see the front axle from the passenger side through the floor.

The bright side is that I am parting it out. That includes the engine. If you are interested in any parts on the engine (like the head), let me know. I also have a recently rebuilt carburetor. It's a 22R with 128,000 original miles. I'm also parting out the t-case and everything else. I ear-marked the tranny for someone else here on the board. If he doesn't want it and you or anyone else is interested, let me know.

E-mail or PM me if you might be interested in the head. have_blue@earthlink.net
Old 04-25-2004, 09:04 PM

what do u want for the carb

Originally Posted by HaveBlue
The bright side is that I am parting it out. If you are interested in any parts I also have a recently rebuilt carburetor. It's a 22R with 128,000 original miles. let me know.

E-mail or PM me if you might be interested in the head. have_blue@earthlink.net
what dou u want for the carb shiped to Friday Harbor WA 98250 thanks
Old 04-25-2004, 09:16 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by neil_P_smith
I will get a shipping quote tomorrow during lunch. Do you need the manifold, too, or just the carb?
Old 04-25-2004, 09:26 PM
Contributing Member

hay thanks all the fool that i bought it from over torqued the cam bearing bolts and the cam is full of scraches so the bearing is not smooth at all and it was all locked up. i just losened it up a bit and put every thing back together as i dont realy care about this motor as i am getting a new one from the guy that sold it to me. as of now it is stuck in a big mud hole on a friends yard and we cant get it out already tore the motor mounts and a friends bumper off. any one around friday harbor that has a winch or lockers.

Sorry, I thought that was kinda humorous because your truck wasn't even running...then you post that it's stuck in a mud hole. How'd it run after you got it started?

Anyways, I'd salvage the motor if I could that way you can make a little money off it. You could even do a cheap rebuild and then sell it.

Old 04-26-2004, 06:12 AM
Contributing Member

Just sent you a PM.
Old 04-26-2004, 06:17 PM

runs ok

Originally Posted by AgRunner06

Sorry, I thought that was kinda humorous because your truck wasn't even running...then you post that it's stuck in a mud hole. How'd it run after you got it started?

Anyways, I'd salvage the motor if I could that way you can make a little money off it. You could even do a cheap rebuild and then sell it.

ya fix it to brake it again the cam was too tight and was not spinning but it all works good now, the cam and cam bearing are mesed up and it needs a carb rebulid but it gets it to messes just fine.
i got pulled out today buy a unimog that is on the island and it even got stuck with lockers but every thing is good now.