Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Backup lights not working, Bulbs, and wiring looks ok however...

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2007, 09:39 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Backup lights not working, Bulbs, and wiring looks ok however...

I went to go re park my truck tonight. (2002 5spd taco) I start her up and shift into reverse, only to discover that my back-up lights aren't working.

I check the bulbs; they're both fine.

I check the wiring at the lens assembies; they're both fine.

Took a peek at the breaker box; everything looks good, but I can't tell if the "tail" fuse is bad. It's a box type, and has no indicator.

My turn signals, and my brakelights work...

So I'm wondering if there is a sensor that detects when the truck is shifted into reverse that could have gone bad or if there is another fuse that has failed?

Should I be looking at getting plugged into a code reader here?
Old 08-20-2007, 07:13 AM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
There's a switch on the transmission that detects reverse gear and sends power to the lights. It should have 2 wires, not sure what colour but on a 2002 4Runner they are black/yellow and white/blue. On the Runner the reverse lights run off the guage fuse.
Old 08-20-2007, 08:25 AM

haven't had a chance to crawl underneath yet, but I'll do that this evening... Checked the guage fuse; that fuse is fine.

Anyone else? Ideas? suggestion?

I realized that the so-called 'box' fuse in my first post is probably a relay for the 'tail'. would this be correct?

How prone are these relays to failure?
Old 08-20-2007, 12:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
For what it cost you for that relay or fuse why not git a new one and try it? If that's not the problem you can always save it as you may need it on down the road anyway.
Old 08-20-2007, 02:20 PM
Contributing Member

The TAIl relay controls the taillights, and front sidelights, if they're working then the relay is fine.
Old 08-20-2007, 06:00 PM

yeah, that is what I thought about the relay too... I couldn't find anything amiss as far a tranny wires.

Anyone have any other ideas of what to try, look for?
Old 08-22-2007, 11:55 AM

Originally Posted by LuminoZ
yeah, that is what I thought about the relay too... I couldn't find anything amiss as far a tranny wires.

Anyone have any other ideas of what to try, look for?
It's probably the reverse light switch itself. The reverse lights are a pretty simple system. On my 2000 taco (4WD, manual) it's on the passenger side sticking out of the side of the tranny.

At autozone, the switch is about 25 dollars. You'll need a big open-end wrench or an adjustable crescent wrench to change it. Once you find it, it will probably take about 10 minutes to do.

And now, I have my own problem. I did this exact swap just last night on my 2000 taco. The new switch is made by Wells and was bought at Autozone, not the dealer. After the swap, my reverse lights *STILL* don't work.

I've tested the new switch. It works. I've tested the old switch. It does not. I've tested the wiring from the switch connector back by jumping the contacts, and the reverse lights turn on just fine.

My theory is that the "lever" inside the transmission isn't pushing the switch down far enough. This might be due to abnormal wear in the transmission, or from a switch that requires more travel before it activates.

Any ideas? Should I go to the dealer and buy a switch from them, or do you think the tranny needs looked at?
Old 08-22-2007, 11:58 AM

dang.. subscribe.
Old 08-22-2007, 12:21 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by chromatest
It's probably the reverse light switch itself. The reverse lights are a pretty simple system. On my 2000 taco (4WD, manual) it's on the passenger side sticking out of the side of the tranny.

At autozone, the switch is about 25 dollars. You'll need a big open-end wrench or an adjustable crescent wrench to change it. Once you find it, it will probably take about 10 minutes to do.

And now, I have my own problem. I did this exact swap just last night on my 2000 taco. The new switch is made by Wells and was bought at Autozone, not the dealer. After the swap, my reverse lights *STILL* don't work.

I've tested the new switch. It works. I've tested the old switch. It does not. I've tested the wiring from the switch connector back by jumping the contacts, and the reverse lights turn on just fine.

My theory is that the "lever" inside the transmission isn't pushing the switch down far enough. This might be due to abnormal wear in the transmission, or from a switch that requires more travel before it activates.

Any ideas? Should I go to the dealer and buy a switch from them, or do you think the tranny needs looked at?
I would try the factory switch first, seems the simplest way to go. Maybe the aftermarket one is too short, or made for another trans.
Old 08-22-2007, 12:56 PM

Originally Posted by eric-the-red
I would try the factory switch first, seems the simplest way to go. Maybe the aftermarket one is too short, or made for another trans.
Oh, I did compare the switches physically. They are the same length and width and have the same depth into the tranny (from threads to top of ball). The variable that I can't check with a dead factory switch is how far down that ball needs to be pressed before it activates.

I'll try to stop by the dealer today and pick up a factory switch. I'll compare the switch throw before I mount it.
Old 08-23-2007, 11:31 AM

I have had the same problem with my 96 4Runner automatic. I changed the PNP switch which I bought from the dealer and still no reverse lights..... I gave up cause my truck passed inspection without them. Along with my reverse lights not working, my cruise control don't work also. I can't figure it out!!!
Old 08-23-2007, 06:51 PM

Originally Posted by chromatest
I'll try to stop by the dealer today and pick up a factory switch. I'll compare the switch throw before I mount it.
I picked up the factory switch and it turns on *much* faster. While the Wells switch from Autozone required the ball to be pushed all the way in before it turned on, the factory switch turns on almost immediately.

I put the factory switch in, and the reverse lights work as they are supposed to.

I already lost the receipt for the Autozone switch. I think it was about 25 dollars. The Factory switch from the Toyota dealer was $33. Clearly worth the extra couple bucks.

Last edited by chromatest; 08-23-2007 at 07:00 PM.