Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Back tires break loose on wet roads?

Old 09-27-2005, 02:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Back tires break loose on wet roads?

Ok I've got a 94 Pickup Xtra Cab 2WD. I was driving straight down the center lane. On a 6 lane highway by my house. The roads were wet but there were no big puddles. And the back tires just break loose. The back tires were not the greatest. But they weren't completely bald either. I was doing about 55-60 mph when this happened. The truck jacknifed to the left. It started to go head-on into on coming traffic. I turn the wheel hard back to the right. The truck now goes into a slide and off the side of the road. Till I hit a light pole and smash the truck up pretty good. I think I was out of it for a few minutes. Cause I don't remember hitting the light pole. I just remember people being around the truck and the police arriving.

The trucks in the shop being fixed now. The drivers side and the bed were pretty wiped out. Some frame damage also. But all the frame damage was behind the rear axle. So it looks like they got it straighten out really well. I'm hoping to get her out in the next few days. Although the paint and body work has cost me dearly.

I talked to another guy that was at the shop today. He says he's had 3 Toyota Pickups. And that he's had problems with the back tires breaking loose with all 3 trucks that he's owned. Although he's never had one break loose and jacknife to one side like mine did. He told me even with new tires. That because of the light weight in the rear. These trucks are very prone to the rear wheels breaking loose in the wet. Even just driving straight down the road.

I like to know how many others on here. Have seen this problem. And is there anything that can be done to help get more traction in the wet. When the truck comes out of the shop. I'm thinking of putting some 205/75/14 Brigstone Taranza's LS-T. Which are suppose to be really high rated wet traction tires. Any thoughts on the subject would be appreciated.
Old 09-27-2005, 03:12 AM

Sorry mate I have no good input for your vehicle, but thats a pretty scary story glad to hear you're OK.
Old 09-27-2005, 03:42 AM

Yea I'm ok. I got a little cut on my head. And my left leg was banged up. But all in all I came out ok. But it does worry me that this can happen anytime on a wet road. This is my 1st Toyota Pickup that I've owned. I drive a 85 Celica GT-S. Which sticks like glue. Even in heavy rain.I really interested in hearing if any others. Have had experinces with the rear tires breaking loose on these Toyota trucks.

Last edited by dynamic73; 09-27-2005 at 03:45 AM.
Old 09-27-2005, 04:22 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I had an 85 pickup and I never had any problem. It was always well planted, I did put 235/75/15 on it.

Matt
Old 09-27-2005, 05:34 AM

I have a 98 Tacoma and never had that problem, how hard were you on the gas when the rear end started to slide? I had that happen but I was passing someone on an icy road in a snowstorm in 2wd (like a complete jackass). To reduce your issues with that you need to add weight to the back of the truck, go to a local lumber yard or hardware store even, they have large 70 lb bags of "tube sand", it is a good mesh bag that won't rip and it is just for throwing in the back of your truck to add some weight. I usually do that in the winter.

Old 09-27-2005, 06:15 AM
Contributing Member

This sounds like a story of driver error. All pickup trucks are light in the rear and will "float" if you are on the gas too hard for the conditions, especially in wet conditions with marginal tires.

To address the "problem";

1. Get off the gas and be aware of the tendancy of all pickups to behave this way.
2. Replace the tires with more wet pavement friendly tires.
3. Get whatever tires you have siped.
4. Increase the weight in the rear with sand or a canopy.
Old 09-27-2005, 07:59 AM

Location: Far western Kentucky (transplanted from central PA)
WATRD's suggestions are good, especially regarding the added weight in the rear. I'd also check your tire pressure and reduce it if it's above the placard value (although I personally prefer to run higher...). You may want to look into tires manufactured with silica like a lot of the Bridgestones and Firestones. I found the REVO's and my current Destination LE's to be excellent wet road tires.
Old 09-27-2005, 08:17 AM

Location: 100 miles offshore as much as possible, & Springfield Oregon USA
Glat to hear you're okay!
Agree with WATRD. There are nearly 80 million light trucks on the road, and they aren't just routinely going out of control when it rains. Tire choice and driver skill sound like the issues you should review. Maybe add some sandbags, just a little weight can help a lot.
Old 09-27-2005, 11:39 AM

Well I can tell you it wasn't driver error. Because I was not on the gas. I was driving at a constant speed. And I was going straight down the road. If I had been driving crazy or hazorously. I would admit it. Because I don't know of anything I did wrong. I'm trying to find out if anyone has experinced this. Like I said before. I talked to a guy yesterday. Who said he's had his truck break loose more than once. When the roads are wet. And he said it was when he was also going straight down the road. Although he never lost control. One thing I can add. Is that I had just infated the tires to 36 psi. Which might have contributed to the back tires breaking loose.

I understand some of you thinking it was driver error. If I read this post I would probly think the same. I'm still interested in any others views on this situation.
Old 09-27-2005, 11:49 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Ive had mine do that a couple of times. both on very slick surface. I caught it before anything serious happened.
Old 09-27-2005, 12:20 PM
Tomsriv

36psi, thats the problem. The door sitckers on trucks often say Front 28, rear 35. That is the pressure you use for a fully loaded truck. Its a liability issue. If they said 28psi and you carried a half ton load you might blow a tire. If you have no weight in the rear reduce it to 25-28psi so you get more tread on the ground.
Old 09-27-2005, 12:38 PM
Contributing Member

I think you are missing the point. 36 PSI, with tires that "aren't the greatest", on wet pavement at what was likely excessive speed for the conditions with the vehicle you were driving all add up to driver error. I am sorry you don't like the answer, but that doesn't make it incorrect.

Your posts make it sound like somehow you think this is a design flaw with the rig or something similar and that just isn't the case. Every indication you have given is that you were going too fast for that vehicle in those conditions, not that the vehicle somehow failed.

I can easily break the back end of my rig loose on wet pavement when I want to. But, I am aware of it's limitations and slow down when the conditions merit. Unless you suffered a blow out or other catastrophic failure that was competely unexpected, the problem could have been avoided and thus is "driver error".
Old 09-27-2005, 01:00 PM

Location: 100 miles offshore as much as possible, & Springfield Oregon USA
Wasn't trying to dis you Dynamic, just offering my viewpoint, since you DID ask...

Handling issues in the slick, as on ice - sure. First rain after a long dry spell and the roads get mighty greasy too. I've also had some odd things happen on grooved surfaces (I hate those) but even bad roads never affected any of my pickups, and the torrential rains we get don't upset either of my trucks at all unless I have tires prone to hydroplaning (like BFG KOs!) Not in a straight line anyways. I've always owned at least one pickup - for over 25 years now.

Perhaps you caught an odd bit of pavement pattern, maybe hydroplaned a bit at the same time. In other words, chit hoppens mon! I do suggest looking critically at the tires (maybe its time for new ones) and dump a few pounds in the bed, at least when its rainy out.

Last edited by Flamedx4; 09-27-2005 at 01:03 PM.
Old 09-27-2005, 01:01 PM

I had the tires at 35 PSI on my 4runner and ended up wearing out the middle of the tire before the edges, 35 is too high for an empty truck.

Matt
Old 09-27-2005, 01:59 PM
Contributing Member

man...my 93 v6 i have to work to break the back loose around a turn...starting out i have problems but nothing to the tune of 50-60mph...with my dads GMC v8 if i stop on it they will walk out ot the side a little...sorry about you misfortune dude...
Old 09-27-2005, 02:14 PM

Glad to hear you're OK, Personaly, my truck feels planted pretty well, But...

Ya know that's funny, cause I've heard from a few friends Mothers and Wives (ok 4) who drive Gen2 and 3 4Runners that they've had some really scarry ลลลล (read: Rear End getting squirly - the trucks not their's - and wanting to swap ends on them) happen to them coming into Portland on I-84 Westbound (If you're familiar with the NW then you know how the winds can be)... I think maybe with all the ground clearence and the stock skinny/lighter tires that crosswinds and underbody buffeting may affect Toyota's more than alot of other rigs... I mean looking at them compared to anything but a fullsize, there's alot of daylight under there... they make Cherokee's and Wrangler's look like Lowriders...

Dave
Old 09-27-2005, 03:10 PM

Originally Posted by WATRD
This sounds like a story of driver error. All pickup trucks are light in the rear and will "float" if you are on the gas too hard for the conditions, especially in wet conditions with marginal tires.

To address the "problem";

1. Get off the gas and be aware of the tendancy of all pickups to behave this way.
2. Replace the tires with more wet pavement friendly tires.
3. Get whatever tires you have siped.
4. Increase the weight in the rear with sand or a canopy.
Sipeing the tires is the best thing i have done! My truck has a shell so i dont worry about the weight too much but i had that done to my tires and it STICKS on the road like the cougar (even though i dont drive it in the rain)
Old 09-27-2005, 03:59 PM

Forgive my ignorance...but what is "siped"?
Old 09-27-2005, 04:05 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Yota4runner
Forgive my ignorance...but what is "siped"?
An excellent and timely question...

Roger has a good description; http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/CheapTri...reSiping.shtml

As does 4x4wire; http://www.4x4wire.com/toyota/tech/sipe/

But Discount Tire's article is probably the most to the point and well illustrated; http://www.discounttire.com/dtcs/tireSiping.dos
Old 09-27-2005, 04:48 PM
Contributing Member

I don't know too much about the pick ups so this may be a long shot... but check your rear trac bar? I had a similar situation with a customer vehicle, except it was an SUV. Someone had taken their rear track bar and the vehicle kept wanting to "track" to the side and during a rainy day the customer lost control of her vehicle. It took our shop foreman forever to figure it out. Like I said, it's a long shot, but maybe something to check out.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Back tires break loose on wet roads?