Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

back into 4runner territory!

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2010, 07:01 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
back into 4runner territory!

Sooo it's been less than 3 years and I've gone through 2 cars before going back to another 3rd gen 4runner. I replaced my first one with an 07 Acura TSX...except I kept on wanting to drive a manual so I ended up getting an old Maxima and learned how to drive stick. Ended up driving that car more than the Acura so I gave it back to my parents and got an 04 Honda S2000. That was find for in city driving but now that I'm moving out of town away from my parents and access to their Highlander (feels kind of feminine, no offense since my dad is the one that drives it). I used this excuse to pick up another 3rd gen but I had to sacrifice my S2000 in the process (I'll get another one later on after a few years of working since I just graduated).

Here is the thread to more pictures.

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f79/...yl-5mt-214601/

Anyway it is again another 2wd but this time the base model with the 4 cylinder engine and a 5 speed transmission. So I picked it up with 115K on the clock back in the beginning of April and now I have 120k on the clock. Engine is pretty good for a 4 cylinder. I intentionally picked the 4 cylinder because I know I want to potentially boost it down the road. The interior is actually in better condition than my original car...not to say that painting it black wasn't a nice refresher. I may or may not do that since my interior is already gray. Everything is in tip top shape except for surface rust on the body frame. The paint is in super good condition and the detail job when I picked up the rig made it feel almost like it was brand new. Unfortunately when I was washing off the snow after 200 miles out of Breckenridge, the brush at the carwash scratched up the paint some There is also some bending at the front doors on the upper portion and some scratches on the paint due to a snow board rack being there before.

The tires are pretty beefy 31x10.5 R15 except I never heard of the company before...All Country tires? They feel slippery but I am coming from grippy Falken sport tires on my S2000. Anyway as for mods, if I don't turbo I'll pick up some headers since I did read about the OEM ones on these 3rzs tend to crack over time. First thing I did do was order up the Weathertech floor liners and brought them with me when I picked up the car in anticipation of snow (great idea too). I replaced my broken power antenna with a 4runner whip antenna without the taco whip mast (I received a silver aluminum mast in my kit from the stealership). I changed the oil to Mobil 1 5w30 Truck/SUV with a Purolator gold filter for the first oil change. The other day I just replaced the transmission fluid with some redline MT-90. I'll be changing the rear diff fluid with some redline gear oil. But for now I do enjoy the rig for my road trips (hence the big jump in mileage) but I think the tires may be the immediate next thing to take care of since it is noisier than my last 4runner. Just wanted to make a post that was long over due. Hopefully I can contribute now that I'm back.

Oh here is a family shot of the rest of the fleet. I did just pick up the 93 accord to be my daily driver. I am getting about 21-22 mpg on the 4runner though so it's not that bad.
Old 06-22-2010, 07:23 AM
Donny, you're out of your element
Staff

Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts
Welcome back Tuan!