Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Axle still leaking

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2009, 03:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Axle still leaking

Hey, what's up? So I had my axles compltely rebuilt a year ago, and they started leaking again. So I followed the guide on 4runners.org and changed the inner axle seals. I noticed today that there is still fluid leaking into the rear drum.

I'm not really sure where to go from here, the mechanic that I originally took it to didnt want to help me, and I thought that maybe since the breather was pretty clogged up that changing the breather and the inner seals might do the trick but it didnt.

The bearings are still good, the tire has no play when jacked up and the breather is now brand new. I'm at the point where I was going to buy a new axle shaft, and have all new bearings and seals pressed onto it, any thoughts on the issue?
Old 03-14-2009, 04:56 PM

I assume you have ABS on the rig?

Marlin has heavy duty axle seals for the Hilux, Taco and Runner non ABS rear axle.

I would pull out the axles and backing plates again and coat the bearing retainer (where the seal rides on) with grease push back into axle, turn the hub around a few times.... pull back out and see where the seal is actually riding.
It is quite easy to push seal in to far or not far enough.
Old 03-14-2009, 06:05 PM
Donny, you're out of your element
Staff

Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts
Has the vehicle ever been wrecked? Are you SUUURE?
Old 03-15-2009, 06:54 AM

Originally Posted by raydouble
I assume you have ABS on the rig?

Marlin has heavy duty axle seals for the Hilux, Taco and Runner non ABS rear axle.

I would pull out the axles and backing plates again and coat the bearing retainer (where the seal rides on) with grease push back into axle, turn the hub around a few times.... pull back out and see where the seal is actually riding.
It is quite easy to push seal in to far or not far enough.
Hmm, when I installed the seal it looks to be about even with the tapered part where it sits in, it takes a while to pull everything apart and I don't think I installed wrong, I used the seal driver kit to set it, and have done seals (not on a Toyota) before. Is there a reference point as to where the seal should sit?

Originally Posted by DeathCougar
Has the vehicle ever been wrecked? Are you SUUURE?
The original seals lasted 7 years, it has only been since they were changed a year ago that I have been having this problem, I've owned the truck since it had 24k, and have not wrecked it.
Old 03-15-2009, 12:44 PM

Originally Posted by JHupp
The original seals lasted 7 years, it has only been since they were changed a year ago that I have been having this problem.
Did you install OEM seals?

I think you probably just have them pushed in a little to far. I look through the FSM and didn't see a procedure or reference point as to where exactly they sit in the tube.
Old 03-15-2009, 01:50 PM

Did you install OEM seals?

I think you probably just have them pushed in a little to far. I look through the FSM and didn't see a procedure or reference point as to where exactly they sit in the tube.
OEm seals were installed by the mech the first time and they leaked, s0o I installed the NAPA ones. I would still think they should last for more then a day though.

I really don;t think there is an issue as far as the placement of the seal goes. I didn't have to apply excessive force to get it in, and I have done seals on other axles before and havent had an issue. It is seated past the tapered part of the housing, and doesnt appear to have been forced in.
Old 03-15-2009, 01:59 PM

The marlin seals have the little ring on the outside of the metal portion of the seal, this ensures that the seal is indeed in the correct location.
Old 03-15-2009, 03:50 PM

Originally Posted by 904_runner
The marlin seals have the little ring on the outside of the metal portion of the seal, this ensures that the seal is indeed in the correct location.
But you can't use them if you have ABS, cause on the ABS housings the seals ride inside the tube further.

I still say it's a seal placement issue, that, or there is something damaged that you don't know about. You said yourself the stock ones were leak free for seven years, that doesn't happen by accident.
Old 03-15-2009, 04:28 PM

But you can't use them if you have ABS, cause on the ABS housings the seals ride inside the tube further.

I still say it's a seal placement issue, that, or there is something damaged that you don't know about. You said yourself the stock ones were leak free for seven years, that doesn't happen by accident.
It's probably just gonna go to another mech at the end of the week. I didn't want to pound the heck out of the seal, but I'm sure I put it in far enough to seat it. The outer edge of the seal sits just behind the tapered part of the axle housing, and everything went back together smoothly. I'm not going to tear it apart again not knowing what the deal is. If the seal isn't in the correct location I'd be suprised. If someone knows how far in the seal should go leave a post please.