Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Aux Back up/work lamps ..rack mounted ??

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2006, 05:31 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Aux Back up/work lamps ..rack mounted ??

When I am working at the ski resort, I often have to park in some tight spots others may not try.

The back up lamps on my 98 are next to useless for this purpose.

I have looked into aux back up lamps mounted under the bumper on the trailer hitch but it seems the best spot, would be on the rear of my Thule basket.

Anyone done this ???

Any Pro's and cons ??

Thanks

David

Last edited by nrgetic99; 07-18-2006 at 05:53 AM.
Old 07-18-2006, 06:53 AM

I've thought about locating some lights just under the bumper for this very purpose, but they'd be short-lived there if you did any measure of wheeling.
Old 07-18-2006, 06:54 AM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by nrgetic99
When I am working at the ski resort, I often have to park in some tight spots others may not try.

The back up lamps on my 98 are next to useless for this purpose.

I have looked into aux back up lamps mounted under the bumper on the trailer hitch but it seems the best spot, would be on the rear of my Thule basket.

Anyone done this ???

Any Pro's and cons ??

Thanks

David
It would be pretty easy to run a couple of heavy guage wires back there, and then have a relay that turns on when the original reverse lights come on... alternatively you could also make it so they are switched AND/OR controlled by a relay system attached to the lights already there.

I have been seriosuly considering hiding two of these on my bumper, or maybe in the gate:

Luxeon V Star

12V Power Puck

Wide Beam Lens with Holder

They are darn bright, but have low power requirements for a light. Paired with one of the wide angle lenses, it would be pretty trick. Someday, I will do it But, I have to get my original reverse lights working first!

Last edited by mastacox; 07-18-2006 at 06:58 AM.
Old 07-18-2006, 08:26 AM
Contributing Member

ive had lights on the rack facing backwards...i moved them to the bumper.

simply put, if youre using them to back up, and not as for something like lighting up a campsite, put them low.

at least this has worked best for me....i actually use them almost every time i back up, and its amazing how much they help (two hella 500's)
Old 07-18-2006, 08:32 AM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have added some driving lights to the rear bumper of my first gen and I love it. they are wired into the reverse lights and only come on when I am in reverse. Super Bright and work great. They are also protected pretty well in there.

Old 07-18-2006, 08:36 AM
Contributing Member

i had a set of cheap fogs mounted on my rack pointed back that were wired up to come on whenever in reverse. Functionality wise worked great but i didnt like the look of them up there and i didnt like the wire snaked thru the rear hatch seal
Old 07-18-2006, 09:59 AM

The logic of the wiring is not a concern for me... my plan is to use a single pole, double throw relay that allows me to have normally on via the reversing lights or manually on.

I agree on how to get the power to the lights and I am working on something creative.

Hella do some really nice flush mount lamps that I could easily set into my rear bumper. Its chrome and kind of ropey anyway so I have no issues cutting holes in it.

I also agree that under the bumper may not last too long.

I like the LED idea as you could in theory mount some into the License plate frame.

David
Old 07-18-2006, 10:10 AM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
One thing:

The Luxeon V portables (120 lumens) are quoted at 500hrs lifetime, while the Luxeon III (90 lumen I think) is quoted at 100,000hrs! i'd probably go for the III looking at that, maybe even use 4 instead of 2...
Old 07-18-2006, 10:28 AM
Contributing Member

Location: Houston (home), Atlanta (school), Cincinnati (work)
if you look at my pics in my sig, youll see my back-up lights. i bought them from walmart so they were like $10 each. i used 16 gauge wire that i already ahd and the whole project was pretty cheap. some people may think in the location i have them in (hanging from the bumper), they would get ripped off when wheeling, however, if i go deep enough to hit those, i will have already hit my spare and my trailer hitch by a long run. if i do in fact hit them, they swivel forward and back to they should avoid damage. if i do damage them, then to walmart i go to replace a $10 light.

i wired them into a SPDT toggle with a relay i bought from radio shack. the UP position has them come on automatically when i shift into reverse (along with my stock reverse lights). the MIDDLE/OFF position turns them (and my stock reverse lights) off completely regardless. the DOWN position turns on the aux. back-up lights when i want them on. great for flashing at tailgaters or lighting up the campsite. they do their job for lighting up behind me when reversing.

if you want more info ill be glad to help out

Last edited by drguitarum2005; 09-17-2006 at 03:40 PM.
Old 07-18-2006, 10:30 AM
Ric
Banned - User requested

Ive been thinking about getting these KC Lights the last ones down, they wire right into the reverse light wires, Ill get them after I retint the windows, looks like they would fit perfect on the Yakima rack
Old 07-18-2006, 10:37 AM
Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
i just installed 2 55watt driving lights on the back of my rack... i'll try to take pics of it.. but tehy work really good and look sweet
Old 07-18-2006, 11:00 AM

I have done exactly this.

I wired up the KC lights mentioned before to the rear of a rack on the roof. I used a 3-position switch up front in the center console, I wired the lights to either be off always, always on, or on when the headlights have been turned on and I am reversing. With these 3 options you have the best of every world. They turn on automatically at night when it's dark and you're reversing, on when you need them, or not on at all.

I ran 4 gauge wire along the drivers side, and put a distribution plate velcro'd to the body of the truck behind the rear driver's side panel, this gave me power to all the electronics & lights I have setup back there. Several 8 gauge wires run to each accessory as needed. You can then ground each powered device wherever it ends up being.
Old 07-18-2006, 11:41 AM
Contributing Member

I cut holes for my back up lights on my 4Runner. Worked great for me, but now that I'm used to having a back up sensor you might want to look into one of those also/instead. It takes a bit more of the guess work out of it but you use the use of the hight mount lights while camping. Just an idea!

Seems to be a descent deal but my truck came with them so I am no expert: Click Here

The setup I had on my 4R:
Old 09-17-2006, 02:36 PM
Contributing Member

i just bought some lights from wally's ($15) and want to know if i splice them into my reverse lights AND run them to the switch they came with, i should be good to go right?
they will come on when in reverse or whenever i turn the switch on right?
if the switch is off, and i put into reverse, will the lights come on since they are also spliced into the stock reverse lights?

i am trying to keep it simple! just need to know if it will work that way
Old 09-17-2006, 03:35 PM
Contributing Member

no... they won't

edit: well, they could.... (I read it wrong at first, i think)

here's how it should be done... wire from reverse with a diode inline goes to a relay, a wire with the switch inline goes from (ACC or somewhere) to the same place on the relay...

the relay is to prevent overloading your reverse lighting circuit
the diode is to prevent damage to your reverse wiring circuit when you flip the lights on with the switch

Last edited by wjwerdna; 09-17-2006 at 03:38 PM.
Old 09-17-2006, 03:40 PM
Contributing Member

Location: Houston (home), Atlanta (school), Cincinnati (work)
Originally Posted by fireteacher
i just bought some lights from wally's ($15) and want to know if i splice them into my reverse lights AND run them to the switch they came with, i should be good to go right?
they will come on when in reverse or whenever i turn the switch on right?
if the switch is off, and i put into reverse, will the lights come on since they are also spliced into the stock reverse lights?

i am trying to keep it simple! just need to know if it will work that way
read my post above. it tells how i wired mine up with a switch and into my reverse lights.
Old 09-17-2006, 03:49 PM
Contributing Member

thanks andrew! i was trying to do it with what i had and being cheap! will go and get a relay now!
Old 09-17-2006, 04:17 PM
Contributing Member

http://ovo.ca/wiring/wiring.html has some info, and heres a diagram i made a while ago....
Old 09-17-2006, 04:19 PM
Contributing Member

drguitarum2005 has a good idea on the double way switch too... i used stock toyota switches though and didnt have that option : )

good luck
Old 09-17-2006, 04:57 PM
Contributing Member

in his write up, he said that when in the off possition even his reverse lights dont operate! i would prefer to just make it to where there on all the time when in reverse as your only in reverse a few sec. plus, the kit came with a switch.

Quick Reply: Aux Back up/work lamps ..rack mounted ??