Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Automatic transmission questions.

Old 03-17-2009, 07:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Automatic transmission questions.

Hello im kinda new to the Toyota world I use my 98 4runner 2wd 3rz for a daily driver. I had some questions about the sealant I read on t4r.org that they remove the previous sealer and put on the Fram gasket. I bought the Fram filter with the cheap gasket that comes with it and people have told me to put rtv on top of the gasket is there any truth to this or should the fram gasket do fine without. I hear while working on BMW's putting on sealent to the automatic might clog the valves. I do all my repairs on my truck and was just looking for answers.
Old 03-17-2009, 09:03 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Are you talking about the tranny pan gasket? Toyota uses FIPG on the tranny pan. I use "The Right Stuff" FIPG by permatex. It is awesome, and allows you to refill the tranny pan minutes after you apply it. There is no waiting time required like most other FIPG's. I've dropped the pan on Toyota auto transmissions probably 5 or 6 times now for flushes on various Toyota Tacomas and 4Runners, and I've always used "The Right Stuff". I don't know what kind of gasket that is included by fram, but I'd be concerned about using something other than FIPG due to the low torque of the tranny pan bolts (you don't want to go higher than the recommended torque, because the threads in those holes are very easy to strip.)
Old 03-17-2009, 02:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ya, where could I get the "the right stuff". Dont you need to take the old sealer out before u put the new one in because they are hard one guy on t4r.org had to use a drill and a wire brush to get his off. Could I just use rtv with the gasket to save time?
Old 03-17-2009, 03:25 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
It really doesn't take much work to get the old Toyota sealer off, and you'd have to clean it off before using the cork gasket anyways. Just get yourself a good gasket scraper, and don't push too hard or you'll score the sealing surfaces. Once you get all the old gasket material off, give the sealing surfaces a cleaning with brake cleaner and let them dry before applying the new FIPG.

You should be able to find "The right stuff" at some automotive stores. I won't say "most" automotive stores, because I've only ever found it at one local shop where I live. It's not cheap, but it really is great stuff to work with, and you can use it to seal any automotive fluid (except for gasoline).