Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Automatic Transmisison Maintenance?

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2008, 04:39 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Automatic Transmisison Maintenance?

My 99 Tacoma has about 150,000 miles on it. The transmission shifts hard from first to second gear. It's nothing major, just a little bit of a thud. All other gear shifts are fine.

Does this mean that my transmission is going or that I need to replace the fluid and filter on the tranny?

Are there any walkthroughs in doing this? Also, is this something I can do by myself? I'd hate to get raped by the stealership!

Thanks!
Old 03-11-2008, 04:41 AM

Also....what AT fluid is best and should I just go with a filter from Advanced Auto or get one from the dealership?

Thanks again, you guys have saved me so much time and worry in my truck repairs!
Old 03-11-2008, 04:52 AM

we need some details like when was the last time you changed your atf? what brand of atf are you using?? i hope its DEXIII also bc thats what is spec'd for your truck.. you should be doing drain and fills every 15-20k miles. the more you change it the better bc DEXIII sucks! plain and simple. its a weak atf. so give us more info and maybe we can help more but this is my guess... if its not a selenoid then the following should help alot..

- you need to drop the pan, take the metal screen out and clean it thourghly and put it back in. also clean the magnets

-second, fill the pan back up with a quality dexIII preferably a synthetic dexIII like from one of these (amsoil,redline or M1)

- third once its full, do a cooler line flush to get the rest of the old fluid out of your tranny. it will take about 12-15qts of atf to do this so stock up.. yeah it will cost with synthetic but ill tell you it should shift a lot easier..
Old 03-11-2008, 04:59 AM
Contributing Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I've tried the aftermarket filters and they are very obviously not the same quality of the Toyota OEM filters. You can get the OEM for around $27 IIRC, IF you order here:
https://www.1sttoyotaparts.com/partscat.html

I've been using Mobil 1 ATF in all my auto trannies.

Here's a good link about flushing:
http://www.gadgetonline.com/TransFlush.htm
Old 03-11-2008, 05:03 AM

My last drain and fill was about 20K miles ago. I took it to the stealership for that....charged me $40. I've never cleaned the filter, only drain and fills. As far as brand....whatever the dealership puts in. I've let them handle this stuff until now, I feel I'll do a more thorough job by myself.

Where are the magnets I'll need to clean? And I have no clue how to do a cooler line flush either.

Automatic transmissions are not something that I've ever done work on at my home.
Old 03-11-2008, 05:05 AM

I was also told that there is no gasket on the pan of my transmission...is this true?
Old 03-11-2008, 05:18 AM
Contributing Member

I'm going to have to disagree with my friend from NC. I feel like the filter (if dirty) should be replaced with a new one (even if it means going to an aftermarket one). The reason is most of the screen material is covered by a metal shell with only a small opening on the "in" side and a few small openings on the "out" side. The screen traps things that are not usually soluble with brake cleaner or other solvents, things like little slivers of different types of materials. You just can't effectively clean them IMHO. Here's a pic of one to give you an idea of how hard it is to clean one:

Last edited by mt_goat; 03-12-2008 at 05:13 AM.
Old 03-11-2008, 05:22 AM

good points goat. i have never cleaned nor replaced my filter and i have 106k miles on her... also here is a link from amsoil explaining the coolant line flush.. it may help some

http://www.amsoil.com/faqs/ATF_and_F...Procedures.pdf

Last edited by mkgarrison5; 03-11-2008 at 05:24 AM.
Old 03-11-2008, 05:23 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Quattro15
I was also told that there is no gasket on the pan of my transmission...is this true?
Its a form in place gasket (FIPG). You can get a tube of FIPG from any dealer. There are different types for different applications, so tell them its for a tranny pan.

The magnets are stuck to the bottom of the pan, put them back exactly where you found them after cleaning them. Or use the measurments from the FSM as to where to place them.
Old 03-11-2008, 05:28 AM

is there a write up on replacing the filter screen goat? maybe that will help him out--- me too actually :-)
Old 03-11-2008, 05:28 AM

There is no gasket for the transmission pan, it is sealed with FIPG. I bought a filter from Autozone which came with a gasket but I threw it away because it was made from what looked like cork.

The aftermarket filter definitely looked inferior compared to the OEM filter but it seems to be doing the job for me.

A lot of people say that cleaning the screen works fine but from what I have read, it can be hard to completely clean the screen because the type of particles caught in the screen are not easily cleaned by brake parts cleaner or similar cleaners. I'd just buy a new filter IMO.

EDIT: Um.... Don't know how i missed the posts with the exact same information I just shared but oh well......

Last edited by mjwalfredo; 03-11-2008 at 05:38 AM.
Old 03-11-2008, 05:30 AM

Ok...the coolant line flush walkthrough from amsoil helped....now all I need to know is where these coolant lines are located. I apologize if this is a dumb question but I've never even taken the pan off my tacoma.

thanks!
Old 03-11-2008, 05:42 AM

Ok...the coolant line flush walkthrough from amsoil helped....now all I need to know is where these coolant lines are located. I apologize if this is a dumb question but I've never even taken the pan off my tacoma.

thanks!

understandable, we all start somewhere and i am still learing too.. thank god most of the fellas here are very helpful and patient... the line you are looking for is the "return line" it goes from the radiator to the tranny pan. its the line that goes the furthest back from the radiator.. you want to disconnect that one where the hard line meets the rubber line.. you will have to get under there and look for a bit to see what i am talking about. its not hard trust me.. i hope someone posts a write up, that would help matters alot
Old 03-11-2008, 05:45 AM

btw whatyou can do is buy 16qts of your atf of choice and take it to someone who can flush. take the atf to them and ask if you can help or watch them do it (that way there wouldnt be any sneaking around) and pay for them to do it. your choice. tip-- makes sure if you have someone do it with a machine that the machine is cleaned before they do it..
Old 03-11-2008, 05:56 AM

Can't find anyone that will do it for less than 2 hrs labor, that's about 120 bucks. For that price I'll trudge through it myself!

Will all the gaskets for a new filter come with the new filter as well??
Old 03-11-2008, 06:16 AM
Contributing Member

Can't find anyone that will do it for less than 2 hrs labor, that's about 120 bucks. For that price I'll trudge through it myself!

Will all the gaskets for a new filter come with the new filter as well??
Yeah the filter has the gasket attached to it already.

Here's a write-up on removing the valve body, you don't need to go that deep but it covers the removing the pan part and that's the hardest part. After that the filter removal part is easy. Just skip the cable removal part of that writeup and obviously the valve body part too.

http://members.cox.net/mgriese5/Level10.html

Last edited by mt_goat; 03-11-2008 at 06:23 AM.
Old 03-11-2008, 06:39 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by mt_goat
I'm going to have to disagree with my friend from NC. I feel like the filter (or screen if you want) should be replaced with a new one (even if it means going to an aftermarket one). The reason is most of the screen material is covered by a metal shell with only a small opening on the "in" side and a few small openings on the "out" side. The screen traps things that are not usually soluble with brake cleaner or other solvents, things like little slivers of different types of materials. You just can't effectively clean them IMHO. Here's a pic of one to give you an idea of how hard it is to clean one:

I dont know how true this is.....because my knowledge of auto trannys is lacking.....

I heard that if you have metal shavings on your filter that its too late anyways to do anything....that its just a matter of time.....true?
Old 03-11-2008, 06:40 AM

goat maybe i missed something but what is the torque on the pan screws? also the same for the screen.
Old 03-11-2008, 06:43 AM

dirt boy, not necassarily bc there will always be shavings, small ones.. the larger ones now, that may be an issue but its always good to clean or replace that filter bc when it gets full of small shavings (normal wear and tear over time) it will slow the flow of the atf down. now on my truck nothing has ever been done to the tranny other than drain and fills and she shifts like a dream at 106k miles.. i should replace the filter but honestly i dont want to mess with it lol.. call me lazy :-)
Old 03-11-2008, 06:55 AM

Ok...so what I'm going to need is this....

1. A new filter(which will come with the necessary gaskets)
2. About 20qts of DEX III auto tranny oil from Amsoil, Redline, or Mobil 1
3. Some FIPG from the dealer....although on one of the walkthroughs it said that Permatex "Right Stuff" was better?
4. Two people to properly do a Coolant Line Flush?

Also....on the site that I was directed to by Mt Goat about the OEM Filter it seems like the filter is the same for all 4wd Tacomas from 97-99...is this true?
I ask this because there was only one filter listed for 4wd Tacos and those were the model years it covered.

Thanks!

Last edited by Quattro15; 03-11-2008 at 07:00 AM.

Quick Reply: Automatic Transmisison Maintenance?