Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

automatic shift lever button wont push lock down far enough

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2017, 08:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
automatic shift lever button wont push lock down far enough

1997 TFR 3.4 with autotrans. I took off the cover to replace the bunt out light bulb. I also took of the three bolts holding the shift lever to the floor and he two bolts hat hold the leather wrapped knob to the main metal piece. When I put it all back together the button will not depress the shift lock thing far enough so I cannt move it from park. If I fiddle with the leather wrapped handle I can get it to a position that it will work...but never when the two screws are installed. I'm guessing I screwed up something inside with the button mechanism. I was pulling up on it trying to remove the leather cover.

Any idea how to fix the button, or remove the cover to even get a look at it? I cant figure out how its supposed to come off, and I'm scared to pull any harder. I looked in FSM but could not find the shift knob assy in it...weird??

Thanks for any help
Old 01-05-2017, 01:53 AM

I had this same issue a few times and it ended up being an electrical thing.
1st gen shifters (and I assume pretty much all of the later generations) have what is basically a shift interlock that is tied in with the ignition. This is activated by a small plastic hook under the shifter. If the shifter has too much play (happens after years of use), the hook won't catch and things lock up. My key would get stuck in ACC too.

Try this to see if it electrical, disconnect the battery and see if the button pushes down. If it does, then it's electrical. The solution is to get a decently thick washer and place it on the pivot bolt at the base of the shifter, this tightens it up and eliminates play.

If that isn't your issue, then be sure you didn't accidentally hit any wires and make sure you put the screws in the exact holes they came from.

Another time it happened to me was when I didnt place the truck fully in park. Just slam it forward and pull back, I didn't break anything and it worked.
Old 01-05-2017, 01:15 PM

Not electrical. It was working totally fine until I took it apart. I can see the lock pin is not pushing down enough to get past the lock feature.

I think it's might be related to the thumb button itself. I was pulling on that trying to get it off. I think somehow this doesn't work as good now. One guy in another forum said a shaft inside rotated on his.

I'll look for this but to do it I need to pry out the OD button. This seems a high risk job from what is reading. Any experience removing the OD button on not breaking it?
Old 01-05-2017, 01:23 PM

I have never removed the OD button, but here is a great link that shows you how to get in there with pictures. Seems easy.

https://www.tacomaworld.com/threads/...emoval.378375/
Old 01-05-2017, 02:07 PM

Received 554 Likes on 452 Posts
There should be a small cutout in the top button that passes the OD wires. I can't find the photo off hand. Try putting it in the position it works then while depressing the button jiggle the housing/handle and see if you can line up the retaining screw
Old 01-05-2017, 05:28 PM

Read thing is what the thumb latch pushes on that pushes the lockdown which way is the red thing supposed to face?
Attached Thumbnails automatic shift lever button wont push lock down far enough-photo751.jpg   automatic shift lever button wont push lock down far enough-photo58.jpg  
Old 01-05-2017, 05:32 PM

Those pictures are viewed from the passenger side looking towards driver side. The little tab on the red thing needs to point towards the back of the car or the one on the left in those pictures.

Somehow I guess not got rotated when I took it apart once I rotated it back it all started working again

Thanks for the help the pictures were helpful
Old 01-05-2017, 05:39 PM

I think the spring must have had torsion and when I pulled up it spun