Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

auto vs. 5 speed

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2004, 07:26 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
auto vs. 5 speed

i'm looking for either a 1st or 2nd gen 4runner. it won't be my main driver, but will be my winter 4wd and my summer toy (offroading, dunes, etc.). this is my 1st truck ever and i've got a question for all you experienced guys. which is better for offroading, manual or auto? i've heard different people say different things, and i was wondering what your opinions were. which tranny should i be looking for?
Old 03-19-2004, 07:34 AM

Here's some previous Yotatech threads on the same subject.

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/show...ight=automatic
https://www.yotatech.com/forums/show...ight=automatic
Old 03-19-2004, 07:55 AM
Contributing Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I love my auto for wheeling, very easy to crawl slowly through rocks.
Old 03-19-2004, 08:21 AM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Manuals are much more difficult to use while off roading, but when used properly can lead to better results and lower crawl ratios. More hardcore stuff may necessitate a hand throttle mounted on the shifter, but from what you're saying you won't need anything that crazy.

One thing to think about is the fact that the 3.0 is a fairly underpowered engine, so it needs all the help it can get, a 5 speed could do just that.
Old 03-19-2004, 08:39 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by mastacox

One thing to think about is the fact that the 3.0 is a fairly underpowered engine, so it needs all the help it can get, a 5 speed could do just that.
Very true.
Old 03-19-2004, 08:59 AM

i'm not looking to do anything crazy with offroading. maybe someday when i am a multi-millionaire i'll get around to building a rock-climber, but not anytime soon. my 32 roadster takes precedence. i just want a cheaper truck that can go on dunes that aren't that difficult and one to go through mud and 2-tracks and stuff. nothing too much. yet. gotta start somewhere.

when did they start using the bigger engine (bigger than the 3.0)? i doubt that at this time i'll be able to afford anything beyond a 2nd gen. so that's what i have to work with. with that said, auto or manual? (keep in mind i'm a beginner with offroading)(i'm excellent with a stick on the road, that's not a problem, but i've never driven off-road before)(i have a 94 celica GT, 5 speed. awesome car. i want to get a newer one eventually)
Old 03-19-2004, 09:00 AM

Manuals are much more difficult to use while off roading, but when used properly can lead to better results and lower crawl ratios. More hardcore stuff may necessitate a hand throttle mounted on the shifter, but from what you're saying you won't need anything that crazy.

i see that you have a 2nd gen (assuming 3.0) manual 4runner and you are on the dunes in your avatar. how well does it work?
Old 03-19-2004, 09:03 AM
Contributing Member

I keep reading things like this, and I'm curious what the instances are that it makes it more difficult. Not having to ride your brakes down hills and the like seems a huge advantage to staying in control to me.

I suppose if you had some crazy low gears, and you had to shift between gears it could be interesting, as it's more awkward to shift gears in the lower ranges.

Anyone know of an article on the topic. I've had two manuals, and would never think of going back until I'm old and tired.

Bill
Old 03-19-2004, 10:36 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by bobzemuda
I keep reading things like this, and I'm curious what the instances are that it makes it more difficult. Not having to ride your brakes down hills and the like seems a huge advantage to staying in control to me.

Bill
Just because it is an auto doesn't mean you can't still shift it manually. I just stay in 1st gear down steep hills
Old 03-19-2004, 10:48 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by mt_goat
Just because it is an auto doesn't mean you can't still shift it manually. I just stay in 1st gear down steep hills
Well, that's an excellent point. I just see all these posts on this and other boards saying automatics are easier to wheel, and I'm just wondering what the reasons behind this statement are.

edit: A Pro/Con list for each sort of thing that is...
Old 03-19-2004, 10:59 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well, that's an excellent point. I just see all these posts on this and other boards saying automatics are easier to wheel, and I'm just wondering what the reasons behind this statement are.

edit: A Pro/Con list for each sort of thing that is...
I belive they are simply referring to the fact that they can apply slow steady throttle without having to worry about stalling it. As a benefit, you can also use the brake and the throttle at the same time to maintain position a bit easier than you can with only two feet and three pedals. I manage to do it cause I have big feet but it can be challenging at times in rough situations. If you have a low enough crawl ration like Steve, it's not much of an issue as the tires keep spining regardless of forward momentum....LOL
Old 03-19-2004, 12:01 PM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Off-camber situations (steep hill) are most difficult with manual, because you're having to mess around with the clutch, brake, and gas (3 pedals that need to be used but only two feet.) This can be made up for somewhat with the e-brake, but it only uses the rear brakes which can be insufficient in loose or especially steep areas.

The best way to fix this is to have a hand throttle, so you have one foot on the brake, another on the clutch, and the throttle is handled by your hand on the shifter. Takes a little getting used to, but can be quite powerful once you've got it.
Old 03-19-2004, 11:28 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
manuals typically get a little better mileage too. i just can't stand to drive automatic...i'm a stick guy, and that's the way it will always be. to each his own, though
Old 03-20-2004, 03:49 AM
lee
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by ayoung101
when did they start using the bigger engine (bigger than the 3.0)? i doubt that at this time i'll be able to afford anything beyond a 2nd gen.
they started making runners with 3.4L v6's in 1996 (in the 3rd gen).