Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Auto Up for the Sunrof and the Rear Window?

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2006, 04:57 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Auto Up for the Sunrof and the Rear Window?

i read, somewhere here, that someone was trying to figure out how to make the rear window roll UP/DOWN automatically as well as the Sunroof, vise stopping half way.
I tried to search but have not hit the magic word(s) so i am asking you!
My friend came to work with an 06 and his sunroof and rear window roled up/down automatically and i was determined to make mine do that.
ANYONE figure this out yet? at least the sunrooF
Old 08-10-2006, 06:18 PM

i can give you one method but youll lose ur regular functions. luckily, i have intergrated that function into my alarm. so, no need for me to mess w/ the actual buttons.

you can use DEI 530t, controls both up/down. im still tryin to find time to mod my 2back windows to do AUTO.
Old 08-10-2006, 06:20 PM

Those both almost have to be controlled by a limit switch you could probably bypass. Whos got a wire diagram?
Old 08-10-2006, 06:32 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by profuse007
i can give you one method but youll lose ur regular functions. luckily, i have intergrated that function into my alarm. so, no need for me to mess w/ the actual buttons.

you can use DEI 530t, controls both up/down. im still tryin to find time to mod my 2back windows to do AUTO.

i have a viper 791x but have no clue how to make it work like that. i want to be able to do it while driving, not when im out of the runner.
Old 08-10-2006, 09:07 PM

thats one suckie thing about toyotas sunroof, it stops half-way when open/close. theres not a easy route that ppl have found yet.
Originally Posted by scrid
Those both almost have to be controlled by a limit switch you could probably bypass. Whos got a wire diagram?
Old 08-10-2006, 09:10 PM

you can do the rear w/ auto up/down using ur exising switch but youll lose the vent feature. unless you use another set of switch from 96-98, you can definitely use the 530t to do it.
Originally Posted by fireteacher
i have a viper 791x but have no clue how to make it work like that. i want to be able to do it while driving, not when im out of the runner.

both negative polarity

for 791xv, use two relays w/ chanel 4 and 5 to control up/down.
for 530t, no relay needed.

Last edited by profuse007; 08-10-2006 at 09:16 PM.
Old 08-10-2006, 09:39 PM
Contributing Member

thats one suckie thing about toyotas sunroof, it stops half-way when open/close. theres not a easy route that ppl have found yet.
Yeah...I am trying to find a way around that as well.

The one thing that bothers me the most is that with the sunroof deflector there, I have already done enough damage to my (or anybody's) head when it stops. And yes I tried...and stopped a bit before it stopped itself.
Old 08-11-2006, 04:34 AM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The only reason I can think of that Toyota didn't originally want the rear window to roll up automatically was for fear of someone pressing the button on the remote unintentionally and someone else getting something stuck in the window's path.

I'd love to be able to roll it UP automatically w/ my factory remote. That'd rock.

On a side note, I've always wanted to put a remote start/alarm on my 4R, but I was afraid to for fear of loosing that auto roll down feature on my existing keyless entry remote. I love being able to roll down the rear window w/ a touch of a button. But after reading this thread, it appears I can still keep that funtion if I go w/ an aftermarket alarm/remote start. What's a good brand of alarm/remote start that allows me to still roll down my rear window w/ a touch of a button? I'm not up on alarms...Viper is the only brand I'm familiar w/.

Last edited by Rock Slide; 08-11-2006 at 04:36 AM.
Old 08-11-2006, 06:35 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by marko3xl3
Yeah...I am trying to find a way around that as well.

The one thing that bothers me the most is that with the sunroof deflector there, I have already done enough damage to my (or anybody's) head when it stops. And yes I tried...and stopped a bit before it stopped itself.
How does it damage your head?
Old 08-11-2006, 07:20 AM

There is no limit switch. The controller unit counts the revolutions of the motor (or time the motor is on) and stops it half-way. Difficult to bypass.

uberhahn
Old 08-11-2006, 12:05 PM

you can do the rear w/ auto up/down using ur exising switch but youll lose the vent feature.
What's the vent feature? Rolling down a little bit?
Old 08-11-2006, 12:42 PM
Contributing Member

this may help a bit.... system overview of rear window
POWER WINDOW (REAR), REAR WIPER AND WASHER
Current always flows through the POWER fuse to TERMINAL 3 of the body ECU and TERMNAL 1 of the back door ECU.
With the ignition SW turned on, the WIPER fuse to TERMINAL 9 of the body ECU, the ECU-IG fuse to TERMINAL 10 of the
body ECU and TERMINAL 3 of the back door ECU.

1. REAR POWER WINDOW MANUAL OPERATION (BACK WINDOW CONTROL SW)
When the back window control SW is pushed to the up side (With the ignition SW on), an ”ON” signal is input from
TERMINAL 2 of the back window control SW to TERMINAL (A) 5 of the body ECU to TERMINAL (A) 7 to TERMINAL 18 of
the back door ECU. Thus, the back door ECU is activated and the current to TERMINAL 1 of the back door ECU flows to
TERMINAL 26 of the back door ECU to GROUND so that the current to back window motor flows from TERMINAL 1 of the
back door ECU to TERMINAL 11 to TERMINAL 1 of the back window motor to TERMINAL 2 to TERMINAL 12 of the back
door ECU to TERMINAL 26 to GROUND. This causes the back window motor to rotate toward the up side and the window
ascends only while the back window control SW is being pushed.
To lower the window, the signal input from TERMINAL 1 of the back window control SW to TERMINAL (A) 4 of the body ECU
to TERMINAL (A) 7 to TERMINAL 18 of the back door ECU. Causes current to the back window motor to flow from
TERMINAL 1 of the back door ECU to TERMINAL 12 to TERMINAL 2 of the back window motor to TERMINAL 1 to
TERMINAL 11 of the back door ECU to TERMINAL 26 to GROUND, so the current flows in the revers direction to manual up
operation and causes the motor to rotate in the opposite direction, thus lowering the window.
When the back window lock SW is pushed the lock side, the ground circuit of the back window control SW becomes open.
Thus even if the driver operates the Open/Close function of the power window (Rear), the power window (Rear) will not
operate because the back door ECU dose not receive the on signal and the back door ECU does not operate.

2. REAR POWER WINDOW MANUAL OPERATION (TAILGATE CONTROL SW)
When the tailgate control SW to the up side a signal is input to TERMINAL 9 of the back door ECU from TERMINAL 1 of the
tailgate control SW. This activates the back door ECU regardless of whether the ignition SW is on or off, and the current
flows from TERMINAL 1 of the back door ECU to TERMINAL 26. So the current to the back window motor flows to
TERMINAL 1 of the back door ECU to TERMINAL 11 to TERMINAL 1 of the back window motor to TERMINAL 2 to
TERMINAL 12 of the back door ECU to TERMINAL 26 to GROUND and causes the back window motor to rotate in the up
direction so the back window ascends only while the tailgate control SW is being pushed to lower the window. The on signal
of the tailgate control SW (Rotate to down side) is input to TERMINAL 10, causing the current to the motor to flow to
TERMINAL 1 of the back door ECU to TERMINAL 12 to TERMINAL 2 of the back window motor to TERMINAL 1 to
TERMINAL 11 of the back door ECU to TERMINAL 26 to GROUND. This flow is the reverse of manual up, so the motor
rotates in the reverse direction and the window is lowered.
Old 08-11-2006, 12:50 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by uberhahn
There is no limit switch. The controller unit counts the revolutions of the motor (or time the motor is on) and stops it half-way. Difficult to bypass.

uberhahn
are you sure on this, i am assuming you are refering to the moonroof.... maybe not

With the ignition SW turned on, moon roof completely open and the moon roof limit switch no. 1 and no. 2 both are on, when
the moon roof control SW is pushed to the CLOSE position, a signal is input to HALL IC of the moon roof control relay and
SW.
When this occurs, the relay is activated and the current to TERMINAL 2 of the moon roof control relay and SW flows from
TERMINAL 4 to TERMINAL 2 of the moon roof control motor to TERMINAL 1 to TERMINAL 5 of the moon roof control relay
and SW to TERMINAL 8 to GROUND, rotating the motor to close the moon roof while the SW is being pushed to CLOSE
position.
When the moon roof limit SW no. 1 is turned off (The moon roof limit SW no. 2 is on), and moon roof reaches 100mm from
fully close position, signal is input from TERMINAL 5 of the moon roof limit SW to TERMINAL 6 of the moon roof control relay
and SW. This signal activates the relay and stops continuity from TERMINAL 2 of the moon roof control relay and SW to
TERMINAL 8, as a result, the moon roof stops at this position.
To close the moon roof completely, pushing the moon roof control SW again to the close side causes a signal to be input
again to HALL IC of the moon roof control relay and SW. This activates the relay and the moon roof will close as long as the
moon roof control SW is being pushed, allowing the moon roof to fully close.

the auto up/down passenger and driver sides use a pulse controller type device to monitor rotation and current usage of motors in order to stop when up or down, and to prevent damage to person or machine if caught in window, the sunroof, as well as the rear window use switches in a '99 4rnr

Last edited by wjwerdna; 08-11-2006 at 01:10 PM.
Old 08-11-2006, 12:51 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Rock Slide
On a side note, I've always wanted to put a remote start/alarm on my 4R, but I was afraid to for fear of loosing that auto roll down feature on my existing keyless entry remote. I love being able to roll down the rear window w/ a touch of a button. But after reading this thread, it appears I can still keep that funtion if I go w/ an aftermarket alarm/remote start. What's a good brand of alarm/remote start that allows me to still roll down my rear window w/ a touch of a button? I'm not up on alarms...Viper is the only brand I'm familiar w/.
I along with many other members here have installed a Commando FM 870 which is a great keyless entry/alarm system, and it's programmable for whatever you want (rear window for example).
Old 08-11-2006, 01:01 PM
Contributing Member

Garrett1478, this what you have:

http://www.commandoalarms.com/itm30032.htm

Do you have the standard remote or LCD remote? Also, if you program it to roll down the rear window, what button do you set it too?
Old 08-11-2006, 01:14 PM
Contributing Member

here are the related pages for the moonroof system, along with the overview

here are the related pages for the rear window system, also with an overview

again, these will be deleted for space at some point, so click on them to enlarge, right-click, and save if you want them
Old 08-11-2006, 02:13 PM
Contributing Member

thanks wj! i have no idea what those are saying but there cool none the less. are you giving them to me to say figure them out?! if so, i have no idea!

someone needs to crack this issue and post a write up, im too scared to mess with the electrical system.

edit: so we need to figure out how to dissable terminal 2 (moon roof)?

Last edited by fireteacher; 08-11-2006 at 02:17 PM.
Old 08-11-2006, 05:26 PM
Contributing Member

something like that... either disable it so it never reaches or add something so that it sends the same pulse that it gets when you puch the button automatically when you get there...

I will figure this out, the moonroof thing, in the next week or two, right now i am not feeling it, and dont want to spend any concentration on it : )
Old 08-11-2006, 05:41 PM
Contributing Member

cool!
Old 08-11-2006, 05:57 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Rock Slide
Garrett1478, this what you have:

http://www.commandoalarms.com/itm30032.htm

Do you have the standard remote or LCD remote? Also, if you program it to roll down the rear window, what button do you set it too?
yes that's it. it comes with both remotes, so i have both. i carry the LCD one with me though.

there are 3 programmable buttons, i have 1 set to rear window down and 1 set to rear window up... i don't have the third programmed for anything.

Quick Reply: Auto Up for the Sunrof and the Rear Window?