Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Auto trans wont go in

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2004, 03:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Auto trans wont go in

I offered to help an older neighbor put an auto trans in his 85 P/U, 22r. I know better than to try and finish something somebody else has started; but.. two questions:
1: the spacers that go on the flexplate; the thick one goes between the back of the crank and the flexplate??and the thin one under the six bolts?.
2. I can't get the trans to go all the way in, to where i can start the two top bolts. I get it about within 1/2"-3/4". I have swapped those spacers back and forth, thinking that is the problem, but it doesnt want to go all the way in. Thanks for any suggestions
Old 03-16-2004, 04:14 PM

Did this truck have an auto trans in it to begin with and was it the same type of trans? The pilot bore could be too small or it could be the wrong flexplate. Let us know the outcome.
Old 03-16-2004, 06:03 PM

Originally Posted by shovelhead
Did this truck have an auto trans in it to begin with and was it the same type of trans? The pilot bore could be too small or it could be the wrong flexplate. Let us know the outcome.
Same model trans Aisen A340; the flexplate was the opriginal. Why whoever removed the tranny removed the flexplate, I don't know I keep thinking I have those spacers in wrong, but i have changed them around twice.
Old 03-16-2004, 08:24 PM

What you described sounds like a booboo I just did on my surf a few months back.I'm not trying to be a smarta$$ here but....
Be sure the torque converter is seated all the way in on the tranny,I forced it and ended up bending my flex plate cause I didn't check it just before putting it on the truck
good luck!
Daniel
Old 03-17-2004, 04:45 PM

Originally Posted by Wolfen
What you described sounds like a booboo I just did on my surf a few months back.I'm not trying to be a smarta$$ here but....
Be sure the torque converter is seated all the way in on the tranny,I forced it and ended up bending my flex plate cause I didn't check it just before putting it on the truck
good luck!
Daniel
I agree, it sounds like the converter isn't properly engaged.

If you would like to give me a shout at the shop tomorrow I can furnish you with the correct measurement.
IPT 973 827 9946.

-John
Old 03-17-2004, 05:50 PM

Thanks for the replies. Wolfen & Transdude; i will check the converter again for sure. Does anyone have access to an exploded drawing of the trans where it mates to the engine? I would like to resolve the spacer issue, even though i don't think that is the problem.

Last edited by fishuntr; 03-17-2004 at 05:51 PM.
Old 03-18-2004, 05:58 AM

Originally Posted by fishuntr
Thanks for the replies. Wolfen & Transdude; i will check the converter again for sure. Does anyone have access to an exploded drawing of the trans where it mates to the engine? I would like to resolve the spacer issue, even though i don't think that is the problem.
I have the exploded views of the tranny for a 92 4Runner. I'm not sure if that would help, but let me know.

Adam
Old 03-19-2004, 09:45 AM

I offered to help an older neighbor put an auto trans in his 85 P/U, 22r. I know better than to try and finish something somebody else has started; but.. two questions:
1: the spacers that go on the flexplate; the thick one goes between the back of the crank and the flexplate??and the thin one under the six bolts?.
2. I can't get the trans to go all the way in, to where i can start the two top bolts. I get it about within 1/2"-3/4". I have swapped those spacers back and forth, thinking that is the problem, but it doesnt want to go all the way in. Thanks for any suggestions
I can't say for sure, but I would bet the thinner spacer goes between the flexplate and the crank. The thicker one is probably meant to spread the torque load of the bolt heads out more evenly. And I suspect that you don't have the torque converter all the way into the trans pump. There are usually two notches in the converter neck which have to mate to two 'studs' on the pump drive gear. If these don't mate properly and you put try to pull the trans into the engine using the bolts, you will shear off the 'studs'. Not a good thing. Did the Torque converter come with the trans, or is it from another ( the old unit)? Usually, to get the converter to go all the way into the trans, I hold the center hub on the back of the converter while turning the converter. As it turns, I lift up on the hub and push in. As long as there are no mechanical problems it should pop into place.
Old 03-31-2004, 06:40 PM

Sorry it has taken me this long to update and thank all for your help. Those of you who said the torque converter probably wasn't completely seated were absolutely right :pat: We got the trans in, buttoned it up, and it works fine.

I'm not sorry I helped my friend, but I say again...I hate taking over jobs someone else started. This one was a basket case and I had to buy extra bolts and several other things that just "got lost". Thanks again
Old 04-01-2004, 01:53 AM

Sorry it has taken me this long to update and thank all for your help. Those of you who said the torque converter probably wasn't completely seated were absolutely right :pat: We got the trans in, buttoned it up, and it works fine.

I'm not sorry I helped my friend, but I say again...I hate taking over jobs someone else started. This one was a basket case and I had to buy extra bolts and several other things that just "got lost". Thanks again
Glad to hear that everything worked out ok for you.

-John