Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Auto Trans Noise/Slipping/Hard Shifting - Dealer says wrong ATF used

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2005, 05:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Auto Trans Noise/Slipping/Hard Shifting - Dealer says wrong ATF used

Ok, a little help from all the yotatech pros would be great here. I've spent several hours reading all the great posts by everyone about tranny problems and how to diagnose them. It's all great info, but some input here would be great. My 4runner has some buzzing/vibration when I am driving and trying to maintain speed. Also, sometimes when I shift from park into Drive or Reverse, the thing jolts in that directions. Seems to happen more when everthing is warmed up and running for a while. It's also seems to be slipping a lot, and on one occasion, it even reved like it was in neutral, even though I was in gear.

So here's the question. I took it to the dealer today and I am being told that the tech thinks the wrong tranny fluid was used during the last service because the current fluid smells like the wrong stuff. They recommend a tranny flush and they think that will solve the problem. What do you guys think?

I think I am kind of screwed either way because I have receipts from the last service which was done it CA(Im in NV now). It's stilll under the extended warranty but if this doesn't fix the problem then there going to tell me it's my fault the wrong tranny fluid was in the tranny. Plus I have to pay for a flush that I shouldn't have to. Anyone have something like this happen to them?
Old 01-17-2005, 10:59 PM

Where did you get our tranny flushed at? I had problems with my tranny (a340h) acting up .Clunking into gear,slippage and starting off in OD.Thought my tranny was going out on me. I read on here(Yotatech) the soleinds might be bad.The dealer suggested a flush, said, they have anti-slippage aditives in their ATF. YA RIGHT. But I gave it a try and my tranny works fine now. Cost around $125 can. for the complete flush.
I would say go with the flush and see how it runs. Might need two flushes just to clean out the old fluid.
Old 01-18-2005, 03:59 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You can also do it yourself very easily. Look it up in the tech section if you think you want to do it yourself. It will cost you about $20-$80 in fluid depending on which flavor you pick. If I were you, I'd flush w/ a regular ATF this time, and if that cures it, then later I'd flush and change over to a Mobil 1 or Amsoil ATF.
Old 01-18-2005, 04:43 AM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You can do a flush yourself as was mentioned and be sure to do the flush first. Then if I were you I would also pull down the tranny pan and be sure the fluid filter screen has not become clogged (it is reuseable so just spray it clean with some brake cleaner and air dry.....be sure to get out all the metal filings). Finally fill the tranny back up to the proper level (at first I would just use regular Dextron III....you can switch to more $$$ stuff later) and road test. Remember the proper level is read when hot and in neutral with the engine running.
Old 01-18-2005, 09:07 AM

OK, I found some of the threads you guys are refering to and I know how to do it myself next time. I'd love to do the tranny flush my self but this time I think I am stuck letting Toyota do it. If the tranny turns out to be bad, then I think my best bet to have it replaced under the extended warranty is to have proof that Toyota changed the fluid and not Jiffy crap or EZ screw.

Hopefully the flush fixes the problem, but I think the Toyota service department who put the wrong stuff in should pay. As it is now, I'm being stiffed with paying the diagnostic fee on top of paying for the flush. I'll continue to stay bent over and give an update when they get back to me today.
Old 01-18-2005, 09:28 AM
Banned

Have another dealer do it, then turn in the receipts for the costs to the service dept that screwed up. Make sure to have this dealer mark the service receipt with something to the effect "wrong ATF" so it's obvious who's fault it is. If they don't pay, then file a complaint w/ the BBB and Toyota Corporate.
Old 01-18-2005, 09:44 AM

why not try pulling the codes for the trans first to see what the computer says. I'm gonna say it's probably one or more solenoids going out. It should say on the workorder what they flushed the tranny with last time.
Old 01-18-2005, 02:56 PM

Save a sample of the fluid before you let anyone flush it.

If you don't they will just keep claiming that it was the wrong fluid and you will be screwed.

You can get a sample kit from the AMSOIL website and take the sample and send it to oil testing company, then you will have some proof to back up your claim. If it was the wrong fluid then the mechanic that did the service is responciple for replacing your tranny, if not, Toyota is. It is just that simple.

The 99 Toyota 4Runner I am pretty sure take Dexron II or III which is very standard and is what most all tranny shops use. It is the Crysler products where this is really much more of a problem with the several different tranny types required and no body has on hand.

Checked it by smell. That is a good one. They all smell the same to me.

Gadget
Old 01-18-2005, 05:04 PM

Originally Posted by Gadget
Save a sample of the fluid before you let anyone flush it.

If you don't they will just keep claiming that it was the wrong fluid and you will be screwed.

You can get a sample kit from the AMSOIL website and take the sample and send it to oil testing company, then you will have some proof to back up your claim. If it was the wrong fluid then the mechanic that did the service is responciple for replacing your tranny, if not, Toyota is. It is just that simple.

The 99 Toyota 4Runner I am pretty sure take Dexron II or III which is very standard and is what most all tranny shops use. It is the Crysler products where this is really much more of a problem with the several different tranny types required and no body has on hand.

Gadget
Gadget- Can you use the new Toyota ATF in a tranny that calls for Dextron III? I heard it has anti-friction modifiers in it.
Old 01-18-2005, 05:58 PM

OK, here's an update. After feeling like I had no other choice, I let them do the flush. They tell me everything tests ok, no error codes, and they haven't noticed any problems when driving it (I dont' think they really drove it). Wish I would have seen Gadget post earlier and known to save a sample. Now the problem is worse. I turned around and went back and brought the service rep out to the car to show him. Putting in reverse from Drive jolts the whole truck worse then ever, let alone that dang vibration/humming type noise while maintaining speed. He tells me that my motor mounts may be broken and that whats causing the truck to jump when it is put in reverse. When I asked him about the sound I hear while driving he trys to tell me that it's my heat shields. Follow it up with the grand daddy of all leave me alone punny 4runner driver lines - try driving it for a couple days and let the tranny "relearn" itself with the new fluid in it. Come back in a couple days and he will go for a drive to see what I am talking about. That sounds like crap to me, but I was so frustrated I just said ok and left. I didn't think this tranny did that type of thing. I'm running out of time here, my warranty expires 2/6/05. I'm starting to wonder if they are delaying me or something.

By the way Gadget, if you are the same guy I am thinking of, thanks for all the incredible info over the years. I seen your name many times and a lot of people's personal website's reference info they got from you. Good stuff.
Old 01-18-2005, 06:04 PM
Banned

lol... tranny will "relearn" itself w/ new fluid... that's a new one.
Old 01-18-2005, 06:13 PM

Originally Posted by Mikey
Gadget- Can you use the new Toyota ATF in a tranny that calls for Dextron III? I heard it has anti-friction modifiers in it.
Tranny fluids are usually backward compatable, but not always.

Simply read the lable on a bottle of the new Toyota ATF-T and see what it says.

Gadget
Old 01-18-2005, 06:14 PM

You are going to need a new tranny. It is just that simple. Don't let them take the fix the owner not the truck approach they usually try when it comes to warranty work.

Gadget
Old 01-19-2005, 06:49 AM

lv4runner

Hi:
I want to know which dealer is it that you took your 4r for the tranny work, so I can avoid them if I need to get any work done in the future.
Old 01-19-2005, 05:54 PM

Originally Posted by lv4runner
Putting in reverse from Drive jolts the whole truck worse then ever
Possibly u-joints causing the clunk/jolt. Not saying your tranny is fine but your u-joints are probable causing slack in the drivetrain hence the jolt is caused from that drivetrain slack being removed by putting the tranny in gear. Still sounds like you have tranny issues though. good luck
Old 01-19-2005, 06:08 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Gadget

Gadget
Actually you CAN smell a difference in tranny fluids. Try asking technicians who have done nothing but tranny services for years. In school our teacher described different smells and we sampled different fluids and I can say for a fact there is a difference in smell for Mercon-Dexron, Dex 3, Type F... and so on. Heck even last week when I put synthetic tranny fluid in mine I could smell a noticable difference from it than our regular GM tranny fluid. As far as the vibration I am interested in knowing that myself. Mine has done the same thing, not as bad as you have described it. Today I took our shop foreman out for a ride in it and he described it as "chasing a ghost since I am hearing impaired and my sense of "feel" are more sensitive." I know its not the drive shaft, I used EVA to test it. I know its not the TCC since it only does it at idle speeds. I know its not the motor mounts since they are free of mud and not damaged. So if you find out let me know.