Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Auto theft investigator needs help!

Old 08-14-2004, 08:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Auto theft investigator needs help!

I am an auto theft investigator, I am buliding a 2000 Toyota 4runner limmited "bait car". This is a car that a criminal steals, then the police shut the car down, lock the doors, and roll up the windows remotely to take down the suspect.

1. I am looking for a circuit that I can hook up to to cut the engine while moving, such as fuel pump. I can not find a fuel pump relay on this truck!!

I have tried the EFI fuse, and this seems to work well, does it cause any long term damage opening this circuit while driving. We have to give this truck back to the insurance company in one year.

2. Any help on the window and lock relays, would be helpful. Pictures are great.

Thanks in advance.
Old 08-14-2004, 08:48 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
well looks like im not stealing any 4runner any more...

this sounds cool, it would be fun to do this to my 4runner
Old 08-14-2004, 09:35 PM
Banned

not sure how you would operate the doors, as most doors will open from the inside even with pdl and mechanically.... unless you made it so that the doors internals like the part connected to the handles was missing and thus not mecahnically able to open them anymore... also, as for the windows, you could wire in a remote circuit to override them and make them return to the up position...
cut the fuel pump fuse... it wont cause any damage....
Old 08-14-2004, 10:24 PM

I don't have any help, but it sounds like an awsome project. Welcome to yotatech I'm sure there are plenty of people here that can help.
Old 08-15-2004, 06:04 AM
Contributing Member

Greetings,
Just use a nuke, the EMP will shut the truck down!!

MV
Old 08-15-2004, 08:06 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by doc_nomad
I am an auto theft investigator, I am buliding a 2000 Toyota 4runner limmited "bait car". This is a car that a criminal steals, then the police shut the car down, lock the doors, and roll up the windows remotely to take down the suspect.

1. I am looking for a circuit that I can hook up to to cut the engine while moving, such as fuel pump. I can not find a fuel pump relay on this truck!!

I have tried the EFI fuse, and this seems to work well, does it cause any long term damage opening this circuit while driving. We have to give this truck back to the insurance company in one year.

2. Any help on the window and lock relays, would be helpful. Pictures are great.

Thanks in advance.
The EFI circuit should work well for your purposes, all it does is shut down the injectors, but there is definately a fuel pump relay.

Old 08-15-2004, 09:00 AM

Thanks in advance.
And for those of us on the road when this guy loses engine power and therefor the powersteering and power brakes what electronic gizmo do we use to get away from this purloiner of 4Runners?
Nothing like having a panicking car thief trying to figure out how to get out of the car let alone traffic riding along in a couple tons of uncontrollable intent while the rest of us are heading for work or taking our kids to the park.
Personally, I would suggest coming up with some sort of rev limiter. Many newer model cars have them anyway and as long as you are going to go Hollywood on this rig and put together remote control gizmos to catch the bad guy this should be easy enough to rig up. Some sort of solenoid kicking in by the throttle body to prevent it's moving beyond a certain point and potentially to finally cut power down to an idle would be much safer for all of us and probably pretty easy to come up with.
As far as the doors and windows, just cut the power to the windows. Why overcomplicate it. If the bozo didn't already break a window to get in, he/she/it wouldn't think twice to break one to try and get out. The door locks should be easy enough. Assuming you have some sort of remote switch, pull the power wires running to the main lock switch panel and wire your remote switch into them. The locks won't work from the inside and if you set the switch to keep constant power to the locks once activated it should lock up the solenoid so they can't pull the lock manually.
I'm all for catching the bad guys, but putting all of as risk so you can play the good guy is just plain stupid and irresponsible in my opinion. Remember it's: to serve AND PROTECT.
Old 08-15-2004, 09:21 AM
Contributing Member

What this guy is describing is a common law enforcement technique. They have been doing it for years without bringing Western civilization down. The police will have the rig under surveillance and they are commonly "killed" as the thief pulls out of the parking space, certainly in the same parking lot as he is being surrounded by Deputies.

I think the EFI kill system might actually even be a better solution because it's a more immediate kill than the fuel pump. That ensures that the bad guy is right where they want him.

He's not asking your opinions on the ethics of the procedure, just simply how to accomplish it on our rigs. I applaud law enforcement for finally doing this with a Toyota Maybe it will lower the theft rate a bit.
Old 08-15-2004, 10:15 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you are going to put on a switch to kill the efi so the vehicle won't move and one to lock the doors. Why not put in a relay to open the main battery power? That would kill the windows and doors and by the time the thief hit the unlock button a couple of times the good guy's would already be there (I hope). This would also act as a back up to the efi circuit (not as effective).
Old 08-15-2004, 10:50 AM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You will not damage anything by opening this circuit so that would be my suggestion for killing the engine.

There are quite a few pics for locating the lock and window connections in my alarm install (see my signature).

Thanks in advance.
What device are you hooking up to to do this via remote control?
Old 08-15-2004, 12:20 PM

Originally Posted by Fahrenheit 451
And for those of us on the road when this guy loses engine power and therefor the powersteering and power brakes what electronic gizmo do we use to get away from this purloiner of 4Runners?
Nothing like having a panicking car thief trying to figure out how to get out of the car let alone traffic riding along in a couple tons of uncontrollable intent while the rest of us are heading for work or taking our kids to the park.
Personally, I would suggest coming up with some sort of rev limiter. Many newer model cars have them anyway and as long as you are going to go Hollywood on this rig and put together remote control gizmos to catch the bad guy this should be easy enough to rig up. Some sort of solenoid kicking in by the throttle body to prevent it's moving beyond a certain point and potentially to finally cut power down to an idle would be much safer for all of us and probably pretty easy to come up with.
As far as the doors and windows, just cut the power to the windows. Why overcomplicate it. If the bozo didn't already break a window to get in, he/she/it wouldn't think twice to break one to try and get out. The door locks should be easy enough. Assuming you have some sort of remote switch, pull the power wires running to the main lock switch panel and wire your remote switch into them. The locks won't work from the inside and if you set the switch to keep constant power to the locks once activated it should lock up the solenoid so they can't pull the lock manually.
I'm all for catching the bad guys, but putting all of as risk so you can play the good guy is just plain stupid and irresponsible in my opinion. Remember it's: to serve AND PROTECT.
We already have one Jeep Grand Cherokee, it was a little easier to install.

Just so you know and feel better, this is done in a controlled environment with no less than 6 marked police cars boxing in the vehicle. We also use gps tracking on the internet. Its a proven technique that is safe and effective when used with proper precautions.
Old 08-15-2004, 12:22 PM

Originally Posted by MTL_4runner
What device are you hooking up to to do this via remote control?
Its via a police radio and DTMF decoder unit. Very long range and secure frequency.
Old 08-15-2004, 12:26 PM

Originally Posted by WATRD
What this guy is describing is a common law enforcement technique. They have been doing it for years without bringing Western civilization down. The police will have the rig under surveillance and they are commonly "killed" as the thief pulls out of the parking space, certainly in the same parking lot as he is being surrounded by Deputies.

I think the EFI kill system might actually even be a better solution because it's a more immediate kill than the fuel pump. That ensures that the bad guy is right where they want him.

He's not asking your opinions on the ethics of the procedure, just simply how to accomplish it on our rigs. I applaud law enforcement for finally doing this with a Toyota Maybe it will lower the theft rate a bit.
Thank you, I am not out to upset the motoring public, just catch the bad guys.

This 4Runner I have was stolen when it was one month old, The insurance company paid out $34,000 to the owners finance company, thus raising your combined insurance rates by another $34,000. It was recovered one year later and now has a salvage title and may be worth $12,000 on the wholesale market.
Old 08-15-2004, 02:34 PM
Contributing Member

Greetings,
When ever I heard of this being done, the vehicle is disabled at the start. The crime (Burglary) occurs when they enter the vehicle and its a lot safer since no one has to rely on radio gear operating.

MVcrash
Old 08-15-2004, 02:50 PM

Originally Posted by MvCrash
Greetings,
When ever I heard of this being done, the vehicle is disabled at the start. The crime (Burglary) occurs when they enter the vehicle and its a lot safer since no one has to rely on radio gear operating.

MVcrash
Vehicle Burglary is when a person enters the vehicle with the INTENT to steal something, not steal the whole vehicle. Totally different crime, I dont deal with this. I am part of a very specialized task force for auto theft.

We target certain individuals that have the propensity to steal a car and have it chopped up for parts.
Old 08-15-2004, 03:50 PM
Contributing Member

Vehicle Burglary is when a person enters the vehicle with the INTENT to steal something, not steal the whole vehicle. Totally different crime, I dont deal with this. I am part of a very specialized task force for auto theft.

We target certain individuals that have the propensity to steal a car and have it chopped up for parts.
Greetings,
Burglary is to enter or remain with intent to commit another Offense. Stealing a car usually involves breaking in (Burglary) and the other offense is Theft (of the motor vehicle). Of course, other offenses could be committed during the course of the Burglary and subsequent theft. Around these parts, being Northern NJ, they would do every required to prevent a bad guy from actually start the car and possibly injure someone.
You should consider this plan since as soon as they enter the vehicle, and pop the ignition, you have your crimes and put no one at risk.

Just my 2cents,

Jeff

Old 08-15-2004, 06:22 PM

We let 'em take it, its usually left running (winter warm-up). They have been known in the past to take us right to the chop shop.

I was not asking to justify our techniques, they work for us and our cours system likes them. I was just asking for technical advice.
Old 08-15-2004, 06:59 PM
Contributing Member

Did you get what you need? I know of people who have added a kill switch to the fuel pump power wire, which runs along the side of the vehicle, plenty of room to add another relay. Good luck!
Old 08-15-2004, 10:16 PM
Contributing Member

I was not asking to justify our techniques, they work for us and our cours system likes them. I was just asking for technical advice.

Good luck on catching those scum.
Old 08-15-2004, 10:56 PM
Contributing Member

Check out this thread About fuel cutoff

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Auto theft investigator needs help!