Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Auto or manual transmission?

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2009, 03:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wink Auto or manual transmission?

Hi. This is my first attempt at posting a thread. I have wanted to buy a 4Runner since a friend of mine had one in 1987. Finally I am actively looking for one which will mainly be used for hunting and fishing (approximately 10,000 km per year) although I won't be doing any serious off-road driving like I see in some of the posted pictures. I would like to get a 1996 to 2002 4Runner. I prefer to get a 5 speed standard transmission, but there is only one available per 20 automatics. I would like to get some feedback to help me decide which route to go. For example, I will likely look at a 1999 5 speed this week from small used car dealer (Nova Scotia). He bought the vehicle from a large Toyota Dealership after someone had traded it in on a new vehicle. Apparently he put in a new clutch and slave cylinder, and says there are stickers on the vehicle that indicates the vehicle was undercoated several times, but has no maintenance records. Questions: Are 5 speed more fun to drive? As reliable as automatic? Easier on fuel? Thanks for any help you can provide.
Old 10-12-2009, 03:52 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hi rabbit3: I just purchased my first 4Runner almost 1 month ago -- a '97 5 Speed, and I drove 14 hours to get it (great shape, low mileage, upgrades, etc.)

I tried to find some locally to testdrive before making the long drive because I, too, was not sure if I should go auto vs. manual. The only local vehicles were automatic...but, definitely glad I got to drive them because it gave me a good perspective. The first time I drove the 5 speed, I knew I made the right choice.

If I had to do it over again, I would AGAIN drive 14 hours! In my opinion, there is no question that MANUAL is the way to go! I really enjoy driving it, has more pep, fun to drive, etc. I do not go offroading (yet) and mainly my driving is onroad/highway (for work).

Fuel-wise, from what I have read the manuals get roughly 1-2 mpg less, but I am certain some of that depends on how you drive it. I will never miss those few mpg because I would much rather have the Manual vs. the Automatic.

I am still grinning when I drive it.

JamesDINAN
Old 10-12-2009, 05:02 AM

Thank you JamesDINAN. I'm glad to hear that you like the 5 speed. I want to go that way also. The vehicle I hope to look at has 200,000 km on it, but from what I see that is nothing for a 4Runner if the oil and fluids have been changed regulary. I've had someone tell me that they get about 28 miles per imperial gallon on the highway with a standard, driving at 60 mph. But I've also heard others say don't expect much more than 21 with auto or standard transmission.

Gerry
Old 10-12-2009, 07:24 AM

Wink

Thank you gNARLS. All this stuff is helping me with my decission to go manual or automatic. I am 60 years old, and a friend of mine who had a standard now has an automatic and won't go back, mainly because of getting older, city driving, and easier to drink his coffee while driving. The automatics do seem pretty bullet proof judging by the reliability ratings and reviews that I have read. Thanks again,
Gerry
Old 10-12-2009, 08:17 AM

Manuals get slightly better mileage (kilometerage?) and feel a bit peppier also as the transmission isn't quite as parasitic.
Automatics are easier off road and certainly in traffic. If you know you will never be in traffic then go manual else I'd opt for the auto.

I have an auto and since I commute in my 4runner I am very happy with my decision. If you do get an automatic, do the ISR and deckplate mods they make the automatic much better as the engine just enough more power to keep the automatic from searching for the right gear constantly.
Old 10-12-2009, 08:17 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
i don't know of any reason to avoid one trans or the other with these trucks. so i believe you're safe either way.
Old 10-12-2009, 08:58 AM

I've had my 5spd since '99 and I love it. If you drive a stick for economy, keeping revs to 2600 or below at shift, I am positive you can do better than an auto by a good margin. Driving a stick is just more fun, and I've been driving sticks almost exclusively since 1973 (exceptions being Mom's car, Junior's car and rentals).

The killer is stop and go. The approach to the George Washington bridge is a nightmare--a few miles uphill stop and go whenever I go to a Yankee game. I can smell the clutch when I get out and my left knee hurts. If I had to commute in traffic like that, I'd have an automatic. I also wouldn't have a 4Runner as a DD.

Last edited by TheDurk; 10-12-2009 at 09:16 AM.
Old 10-12-2009, 10:49 AM

I was looking for a manual for about 2 months and only found 1, while I found about 15 automatics. The one manual I found was a POS compared to several of the automatics. I choose a very well taken care of auto over a somewhat beat up 5-speed and 8 years later I have no regrets. Both transmissions are reliable, mine has been great. It's sure nice to drink my coffee in traffic and not spill as I'm trying to shift, steer, and drink at the same time.
Old 10-12-2009, 12:41 PM

Though I love my automatic 4Runner, I'd have to say that manuals are more fum to drive IMO. It's a personal preference and it depends on what kinds of driving will be done.

I may be wrong, but it seems like the manual transmissions have less failures than the automatics do. This is based on what I have been reading on these forums.

As for gas milegae, I think that manuals get better mpg's by like 1 or 2 mpg's.
Old 10-12-2009, 12:48 PM

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts
It's all in what you want...As stated above personal preference. My DD is a 5spd and I love it. the 4Runner is an auto and it's alright. I do prefer the 5spd but that's just me. With the auto you have less to worry about, in traffic and on the trails.

When I have the time and $ I'll be swapping the auto for a 5spd in the runner.
Old 10-12-2009, 02:26 PM

Thanks to all who gave me their opinions on Auto vrs manual transmission. Since I don't drive in a lot of heavy traffic, and don't do a lot of serious off-roading, and drink very little coffee in the vehicle, and love driving a standard.....I'm going to try to get a manual transmission, but since they are limited in availability, I may end up going with an automatic...especially if the price is right.
Thanks again.
Gerry
Old 10-12-2009, 04:00 PM

[quote=Compressed;51250625]Manuals get slightly better mileage (kilometerage?) and feel a bit peppier also as the transmission isn't quite as parasitic.
Automatics are easier off road and certainly in traffic. If you know you will never be in traffic then go manual else I'd opt for the auto.

I have an auto and since I commute in my 4runner I am very happy with my decision. If you do get an automatic, do the ISR and deckplate mods they make the automatic much better as the engine just enough more power to keep the automatic from searching for the right gear constantly.[What is ISR and deckplate?]
Old 10-12-2009, 09:15 PM
4rx

I'd be glad to go against auto's in the off road. Bring it on!

Manual transmission for the win, just because it's much more fun to drive.
Old 10-13-2009, 03:38 AM

Wink

That's interesting. It's something like the beer commercial they have here in Nova Scotia for Keiths beer....."Those who like it, like it a lot". Seems that the guys who love the standard transmission, like it a lot....and are more passionate about it than the guys who like the automatic transmission.
Thanks,
Gerry
Old 10-13-2009, 05:29 AM

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts
I also think you have more control with a manual as well...Go for the 5spd I think you'd be happier.
Old 10-15-2009, 06:43 AM

When I bought my 02' Sport, I knew I wanted 1 color: Black. I was looking at a 2000 Black SR5 with tan leather, diff lock with a sunroof. I have always bought stick shift cars and loved them. I thought the shift throw was long compared to a car and I didn't much care for it even though it did have a little more power. Then I found my 02' Black Sport. It had the hood scoop, grey leather and sunroof and the interior is different than the plain jane SR5. The 02' had 15K less miles and it was 2 years newer. It also has the multi-mode 4WD. For about $700 I think I made the right decision when it comes down to it. Yea, I love manuals but you kinda have to make a decision on a case-by-case basis. I don't regret my decision in buying an auto. It is much easier to tow with.
Old 10-25-2009, 06:42 PM

Hi. It's me again, Gerry. I thought I'd update those who were kind enough to give me an opinion on whether to go with an automatic or standard. Well, two weeks ago I bought a 1999 SR5, 3.4 V6 with standard transmission. It has 200,000kms on it, and has most power options, is in good shape and has been well maintained. I absolutely love it. I am getting between 23.5 and 25 miles per imperial gallon, which I think is very reasonable and about 4 mpg better than a friend gets with his automatic. There was a new after market clutch installed recently, and I am having a little trouble getting use to it because you have to go almost to the floor before it engages. Besides having to get it undercoated (it has been done three times with Krown) I will need to buy better tires as the Bridgestone Duellers are more than half warn, and based on the low number of kms on them, I wouldn't be getting a similar set to replace them. The other thing that will need attention is the rear window which works ok, but makes quite a noices when going up and down and will likely need lubrication or replacement of warn parts. I guess for $5,400 plus tax I should expect to spend a little money on this vehicle. Thanks again guys for helping with this purchase.
Gerry
Old 10-25-2009, 08:57 PM

Congrats on the purchase. You will love it and it has many many years left in it. Sounds like you got a decent deal too. I have driven and owned sticks since I learned how to drive and I can say until I lose my left leg (maybe even not then) I will continue to drive manuals. Like someone mentioned above, I love having control over the engine, instead of a computer...and I don't mind setting my drink in the cup holder for half a second ...

Most of all, have fun with it, because they are very fun vehicles to own!!
Old 10-25-2009, 11:11 PM

I love my 5SPD,and Ive been driving automatics for 28 years,plus I dont drink coffee.I also dont talk on my mobile while driving.You know what they call the condition of talking on phone and driving? Its a condition called "Driving while stupid" hahahaha
Old 10-26-2009, 05:09 AM

Hi Gerry / Rabbit3: Congrats!!