Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

auto down power windows

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2003, 06:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
auto down power windows

My 96 has the auto down feature on the driver's window. Anyone know what would be involved in adding it to the passenger's window as well?

To take it one step further... what about adding auto up as well? My wife's car has auto up and it is very convenient.
Old 09-25-2003, 06:51 AM
Banned

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts
Re: auto down power windows

Originally posted by jacksonpt
My 96 has the auto down feature on the driver's window. Anyone know what would be involved in adding it to the passenger's window as well?

To take it one step further... what about adding auto up as well? My wife's car has auto up and it is very convenient.
Jackson,

My 2000 has driver and passenger auto up and down.

I really LOVE this feature about my 4Runner!

I would think that the mechanism for doing the auto up and down is controlled strictly by the power window motor and the switch in the arm rest. Maybe just in the switch itself and how you wire it to the window motor. It would be interesting to see if you could retrofit your driver's side with a later model's mechanism and additionally the passenger side as well. I wouldn't think that anything more would be involved. It would make for an interesting and worthwhile mod if you could find the parts in a wrecked one at a junkyard for cheap.

Brian
Old 09-25-2003, 06:52 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I know that the 99's have auto-down on the passenger side. It may be worth a look at a 99 wiring diagram to see if there's a module that could be added/swapped to the 96's.
Old 09-25-2003, 06:54 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You can add 1 or 2 power window control module from a DEI or one of those guys. These interface with your alarm. It would give you 1-touch up and down for all of the windows from the drivers side (only). Another nice feature is when you arm you alarm, it will roll up all the windows (even the rear window and the sunroof too if you want)
Old 09-25-2003, 07:50 AM

Sorry... maybe I should have been more clear.

I'm talking about the auto down on the power window switch on the armrest inside the vehicle, not a function of my alarm.

I'm thinking much the same things that Brian and mpulver said, but I was hoping to hear from someone who knew more about this stuff. I'm hoping it's as easy as buying new switches, then swapping in the relay (or whatever the control mechanism is) that is used in the 2000+ 4Runners with auto up and down.
Old 09-25-2003, 12:30 PM
JSB
Contributing Member

Jackson,

Cebby beat me to it....
It doesn't have to be part of your alarm I don't think. I added to the control modules to my alarm though. Once the modules are installed, your window switches will automatically act as a one touch button. Up or down. I never understood why cars have auto down but not up. Anyway, you can hook these modules to your sunroof as well. Although my honda had some problems because the roof worked off a negative or something like that. The modules were like $80 or something if I remember right. One cool feature my clifford had was the capability of cracking the windows. I miss that alarm...Anyway, the point to all this blabbering is, I don't think you need an alarm for them to work. Later...
Old 09-25-2003, 12:37 PM

I remember for my friends 89 supra, all we had to do was take the power window switch out, and there was this tab we had to break or snap off underneath the control. And that was it! Power up windows. Now I don't know if we could do that with the 4runner, but it'd be a good idea to take a look see.
Old 09-25-2003, 03:37 PM

jacksonpt,

The easiest way to add auto up/down feature is to install DEI windows modules. Originally they're desigend for DEI alarms (Viper, Clifford, Hornet, etc..), but DEI modules will work w/o alarm being installed.

There are two different types of modules available:

DEI 530T - controls up to two windows, up/down + venting
DEI 529T - controls one window, such as rear window or sunroof, no venting.

If you're not planning on getting DEI alarm any time soon, 529T will be a better choice for you since it is almost twice cheaper than 530T.

Don't hesitate to post any questions you might have since I've done several installs of DEI stuff and I'm pretty familiar with wiring and such.

-- Andrey
Old 09-25-2003, 03:38 PM

and before I forget, here is some good reading about DEI window modules:

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/show...threadid=11688

-- Andrey
Old 09-08-2005, 08:19 PM

This thread ended a year ago but I am interested in doing this also. Anyone come up with a novel ideas since then? I'm not real interested in using alarm parts. Shouldn't Toyota parts do the trick?
Old 09-08-2005, 08:56 PM

Originally Posted by JSB
I never understood why cars have auto down but not up.
The reason is abudantly clear the moment you have an 18 month old messing with your power windows in the car. 1 touch up can be quite a bad thing ;-) See my avatar and you know why...

Anyway, I have a question in the same vein. I have always had constant power to my windows cause I HATE having to leave the key in when rolling them up/down. So I'd definitely like to find out more specifics on modules and if anyone has the wiring schematics for the 96 so I can swap from keyed power to constant power.

No sucess yet in finding a FSM for the 96

Thanks!

Menko