Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Auto box questions

Old 08-27-2003, 02:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Auto box questions

I have a few questions about the auto box on the rig...

First off, when I pull up to the lights or a junction, Is there a limit as to how long I can sit there with my foot on the brake and the 'box in D or should I always knock into N when stopped?

The other question is about engine braking. If I am off roading and coming down a steep descent, if I am in low range and L on the box, the rig doesn't go slow enough and on more than one occasion I have had to use the brakes. However if I am in the same gear ratio and have the center diff locked, it creeps down the slope. This slope is dry hard packed earth with a little loose stuff on the surface, so I don't think I should lock the center.

Am I missing something, this is the first auto I've owned.
O/D is on and ECT is off BTW

Thanx
Old 08-27-2003, 07:42 AM

Talking

With both questions it is all a matter of opinion. But hey I guess that is the case in any forum.

My grandfather, who I take his word as the gospel, lived in Houston when ever I rode with him he would always put the wagon in PARK at a red light (Houston has some long ass lights some seem to be anywhere from 2-5 minutes long). I asked him one day why do you sit at a red light in park. He said, “To save gas, the engine idles less in park or neutral than it does in any gear.” I ask why do you choose park and not neutral?
His reply “I leave it in park so if I get rear ended I do not fly in the intersection in to the ongoing traffic”.
I am not that conservative and personally I choose N when I know I will be setting for a while. For me a while is defined: as long enough to switch cd’s in and out of the deck.

Second point; I could be wrong but as long as you are on packed ground I think the correct choose is a low gear, either 2nd or L, with easy on the brakes approach is best. There are so many variables when trail driving there seems to be no actual textbook procedure, no definite right or wrong. As long as you use the basic rules of driving that you use on road and have good common sense everything should be fine.

Remember: Practice = Perfect or is it Practice = FUN

Cool to chat with an honest to goodness real live Leprecon.

If you are ever in Texas maybe we could hook up and the Guinness Stout will be on me. Or vice versa
Old 08-27-2003, 09:28 AM
Contributing Member

The quick answer in my opinion is let the auto be an auto. In other words just leave it in drive all the time.

As for creeping down hill, the differential lock is the perfect answer. Is there a reason you don't want to use the brakes?
Old 08-27-2003, 02:11 PM

Cool to chat with an honest to goodness real live Leprecon
Landman, Top 'o the mornin' to ya!

The reason I don't like using the brake is 'cos I've heard that you can loose traction when going downhill....... but, would the anti lock brakes not prevent this
Old 08-27-2003, 03:13 PM
Contributing Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
CMAR, use the brakes lightly, don't slam them and like landman said, let the engine do most of your braking. Try 2 or 1. As for stop lights, I leave it in D unless I feel that I will be stopped for at least 3 minutes or more like for an accident or a train.