Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Audio Input?????????

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2003, 04:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Audio Input?????????

I was wondering if there is a way to install an audio input jack, on a 2000 4runner, single disk changer etc.. I travel quite a bit, and I often bring my laptop, and play audio books, mp3's etc. off the computer, and would like to have better sound coming out of the computer. I'm currently using on of those tapes, but the sound through one of those, is much less then perfect.
Thanks,
Adam
Old 03-13-2003, 05:16 AM
Contributing Member

I just upgraded my system for the same reason, laptop tunes. I play DVD's on it too and pump the sound into a mini jack on the front of the faceplate.
You can't really "install" another jack. The only thing you can do is get an adapter for the CD Changer jack, IF your radio if it has it. This will let you plug in other stuff to the head unit and set it to CD Changer to get external sources. It won't know or care what the signal is from.

Do you have a CD Changer hookup?
Old 03-13-2003, 05:20 PM

Yeah,
You've gotta love the surround sound from DVD's in the car. I'm not sure about an extra CD changer input? I have the stock CD player that came with my car. It has a tape deck and the single cd changer that came with the car.
Let me know if its still possible to add an input where an extra changer might have gone? I know in my Mercedes it has a couple of these extra inputs, but in it, they are all fiberobtic.
Thanks,
Adam
Old 03-13-2003, 05:27 PM

i know with some of the after market cd players come with a female input, if you have some cash pick up a decent head unit and it will have one. Not only will you get better sound out of your stereo but youll be able to play music from your laptop.
Old 03-14-2003, 06:00 AM
Contributing Member

Getchellad, it sounds like you have the stock toyota tape head unit with the slave cd player. You won't have another input option for the laptop other than the tape method you are currently using.

Fastest option is to try another tape jobbie, I had two and one sounded horrible brand new, while the old beat up one sounded much better. Clean the heads in the tape too.

Other than that I would shop around for a head unit, I found that there are several under $200 that fit my needs. Who buys tapes anymore anyway?
I wanted detachable face since I'm convertible, 40+ watts minimum to run 6x9's in custom boxes an not need an amp, in dash cd since I don't like the cd changer cd changing change-athon, and the aux input jack right on the face for laptop or any other source.
Old 03-14-2003, 10:14 AM

fm transmitter?

I figure if you are playing music from your laptop (or walkman, etc.), a simple FM transmitter might be in order. Here is one for an iPod;

http://www.griffintechnology.com/products/itrip/

They typically connect to the headphone jack and have multiple selectable radio stations. You would probably like this more than the tape adapter since they cost about the same and the newer models are much better than a couple years ago. Also, no cables. I had this setup for a bit a couple years ago - just plugged in the laptop, set it playing and forgot about it.

Granted, it's not a direct link to the head unit, but it's better than installing something else if you are used to how your current setup works. Of course if you want multi-channel audio (DVD, etc.) you may want to just go for a new head unit anyways.

I saw a platform agnostic one at Fry's just last week for $20 - no batteries required. Might be worth checking out. I would tell you the brand but I just got into work and for the life of me can't remember. But I know I saw multiple models on the shelf...(I think Realistic was the brand of my old one...)