Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

ATTENTION ALL 3.0 owners!! Explain your likes and dislikes

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2005, 12:30 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Exclamation ATTENTION ALL 3.0 owners!! Explain your likes and dislikes

How many have you had or have a problem with the rods going in your 3.0? I can hear mine a little at idle. I have known 3 people who had these motors and all of them died the same way, one of the rod bearings let go. I really don't care for these 3.0's. This is my first and it will be my last. I'am not talking about the 3.4 either. That motor I would take in a heartbeat.

Mine lacks torque and power. It uses alot of gas as well. It is an auto so that makes things worse yet. These motors seem to run out of breath at 4k rpm's. I have been reading the mods you can do to get more power out of them even some of you on here making the mass air mod. I don't think the 3.0 is worth it. If the motor goes then maybe a 3.4 swap, a 22re or maybe 4.3 Chevy but not another 3.0 unless it is dirt cheap.

Post your experiences with them. It doesn't have to be your 3.0 either, maybe a neighbor or a friend. I'am just a little dissatisfied on this Toyota motor. I know some of you here have many miles on yours without any problems but this mostly what I see when it come to Toyota trucks.

James
Old 10-21-2005, 01:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well, they don't call it the 3.slow for nothing. Burns a lot of gas, doesn't put out enough power, and playing in the engine compartment requires you to have 3 elbows per arm, x ray vision, and a case of pilly to drown out the anger... but I love it. Mine has yet to let me down. My dad owned 2 2nd gens. Neither one ever broke down. Nothing. Nada. A good buddy of mine's (who owned an 85 p/u, but i digress) also owned 2 )one his daughter totalled by hitting a logging truck in the opposite lane at highway speeds, 4 passengers and she had the only injury, being a broken leg) also has never had a single problem under the hood. For reliability, I don't know how the 3.0 measures up to other yota powerplants, (this is the first ive owned) but compared to any ford or chev that ive had experience with, this is by far the most reliable engine. But thats just my opinion...
Old 10-21-2005, 01:27 PM

If your killing off 3.0 rod bearings then its safe to say you would also be killing off 3.4 rod bearings as the lower ends are identical except the slight bore change.
Old 10-21-2005, 01:32 PM

On my 92, the 3.0 wasnt the fastest and it didnt say no to another drink of gas, but it never once gave me any troubles, heck it didnt even burn a drop of oil. In fact i couldnt even hear my engine when i was at idle, and it was quieter than my parents newer (>2000) GM products (i swear i was adopted). if you accept the limits of the engine and respect that, then you should not have too many problems.

Last edited by Godzilla; 10-21-2005 at 01:34 PM.
Old 10-21-2005, 01:50 PM

Hey Ganiod, where did you have all you work done on the engine? I am interested in doing the same. PS
Old 10-21-2005, 03:06 PM

Originally Posted by Ganoid
If your killing off 3.0 rod bearings then its safe to say you would also be killing off 3.4 rod bearings as the lower ends are identical except the slight bore change.
It is not me or the person who owned it before me. I never had engine blow on any of my cars that I owned in the past or present. I owned many different makes as well. I take care of my engines for sure.

I have 22r's and those motors are just about indestructable. My 22r has more power and torque than this V6 does and it has more mileage as well. I have no idea what makes the 3.0 such a dog. If anyone has ever torn one apart or modified one, speak up cause I want to hear about it.

James
Old 10-21-2005, 03:18 PM

My modified 22re pushing 33's with stock 4.10 gears is way faster than my 91 with the 3.0,it was even a little faster when it was stock.It also is waaaay cheaper to repair then the 3.0!I will never buy another 3.0 but I would get the 3.4
Old 10-21-2005, 04:13 PM

Don't get me started...

Please search through a few of my posts to find the answer.
Old 10-21-2005, 04:22 PM

Originally Posted by Paul S
Hey Ganiod, where did you have all you work done on the engine? I am interested in doing the same. PS

Bought the hard parts from ENGNBLDER.COM
Had Rob Louthan @performance cyl heads fix my heads after paying DOA racing $1500 to bend me over.
Had local shop with a sonnen computerized engine balancer do the machine work. Here is their contact info Craig is the man to talk to.
I did all the assembly and manifold cutting and porting myself here is a link to the old post when I did the upper manifold work.

I added some bolt on stuff as well like the headers and ignition. My next mod will be some sort of change to the engine management using a piggy back controller. Looking back I think a 3.4 would have been a better deal but at this point I have a completely new motor to work with and not a 3.4 with 100K miles and an unknown history. Changed out my 4.10's yesterday for 5.29's and tru tracs. Running 32x11.5's It's geared a little low now but I do all in town driving any how and its loads of fun in town. Probably do the marlin trail-flex kit after the 1st of the year and run 33's or 35's and all will be good. If you where local Id say come drive the thing before you go spending money on a 3.0 because I have never driven a stock 3.0 so I can give no comparison info.
Old 10-22-2005, 08:16 AM
Contributing Member

I haven't really had very many problems with my 3.0. Everything I have ever replaced on my 4Runner has been normal wear and tear items (rotors, radiator, timing belt, O2 sensor, PS pump, waterpump, plugs/wires, distributer cap, PCV valve, and a couple of thermostates--all in the 5 years I have owned the 4runner). I did have to replace my Knock sensor and valve cover gaskets, but not sure if that is considered normal wear and tear. I have 192,xxx miles on it now, and runs great. Just a little oil leak and some slight pinging when under load, but otherwise, not bad at all. I still have the original tranny too. Just a little slow and drinks gas, but everybody knows that.
Old 10-22-2005, 08:47 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My 3.0 has 295,000 miles on it. The rods knock when I start it. It has been the most reliable bullet proof engine second only to my old 300D. I have the 5 speed, power is adequate. By that I mean I'm content if I can turn on the AC, set the cruise, and make it up 90% of hills around San Diego without downshifting. It gets the job done.

Clearly the 3.4 is a more modern and more powerful engine. I would hesitate strongly to rebuild the 3.0 when it goes. However, I am incredibly happy I did not get the 22RE as the 3.0 makes more torque at idle than the 4 cyl does peak. That makes the truck so much more driveable.

For those with autos, those trucks really came from the factory borderline geared too tall. When you add biger tires, the issue gets bad quick. You really need to undergear to compensate.

Frank
Old 10-23-2005, 06:54 AM

I had a 3.0 in my '93 PreTaco from '93 until '05 (totalled in July). It never gave me a bit of trouble or drank oil during its 148,000 mile lifetime. The head gasket was replaced (hadn't blown; showed signs of leakage) under warranty prior to 60,000 miles. I thought it had plenty of power, though nowhere near what my later 3.4L could provide. It wasn't much off the line, but it was a really capable freeway cruising engine. If I watched the speed limit, it'd get me up to 25 mpg over the road during the first decade.

On the other hand, once I was assured of a very generous insurance settlement I wasn't completely depressed at seeing it go ... The 3.0 wasn't Toyota's best engine, but it served me well ... I wouldn't nominate it for the Hall of Fame, but I frankly think its rep is worse than it deserves (at least based on my experience....).
Old 10-23-2005, 08:59 AM

Question 3.slow

Let me put it this way if i asked this toys r us truck to do what my 88 dakota did for close to 400,000 miles YES you read the mileage correctly. Either one of two things would happen the engine would blow up or the drive train would break. When the clutch went at 150,000 on the 4-runner i pulled it home 15 miles with my old dakota. But the toy is much more sivilized in every respect their is no comparisson between my dodges old 3.9 and the toy 3.0 as far as reliabillity the toy had head gaskets done at 70,000 never touched the motor on any mopar i,ve owned. I wonder if 3.9 would fit HMMM
Old 10-23-2005, 10:17 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Thumbs down

All I have to say is mine is lying next to my truck and its never going to go back in (the blue smiley represents the 3.0)
Old 10-23-2005, 01:54 PM
Contributing Member

Hm... I've never had ANY problems with mine. I love it... just wish it didn't drink so much gas.
Old 10-23-2005, 02:05 PM
Contributing Member

The best "like" of all:

It's paid for.
Old 10-23-2005, 02:23 PM

Originally Posted by fillsrunner4
All I have to say is mine is lying next to my truck and its never going to go back in (the blue smiley represents the 3.0)
OOOH! One person who doesn't care for them besides me!

James
Old 10-23-2005, 08:36 PM

I have two trucks with ye olde 3.0. Love the motor...never had ANY problems, just the usual maintenance stuff.
Old 10-23-2005, 09:03 PM

Well,$40 for a water pump on my 22re and $700 for my 3.0 Granted I paid for labor on the 3.0 but I was not about to rip the engine half apart to do it myself.Alittle $$$ and the 22re could have the same power.My 22re is faster than my 3.0.
Old 10-24-2005, 05:52 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by SRV1
How many have you had or have a problem with the rods going in your 3.0? I can hear mine a little at idle. I have known 3 people who had these motors and all of them died the same way, one of the rod bearings let go. I really don't care for these 3.0's. This is my first and it will be my last. I'am not talking about the 3.4 either. That motor I would take in a heartbeat.

Mine lacks torque and power. It uses alot of gas as well. It is an auto so that makes things worse yet. These motors seem to run out of breath at 4k rpm's. I have been reading the mods you can do to get more power out of them even some of you on here making the mass air mod. I don't think the 3.0 is worth it. If the motor goes then maybe a 3.4 swap, a 22re or maybe 4.3 Chevy but not another 3.0 unless it is dirt cheap.

Post your experiences with them. It doesn't have to be your 3.0 either, maybe a neighbor or a friend. I'am just a little dissatisfied on this Toyota motor. I know some of you here have many miles on yours without any problems but this mostly what I see when it come to Toyota trucks.

James
Pros for me:

Torque out the azz - 150ftlbs or more from 1200rpm to 5200rpm!
Dependability - no matter what, I know when I hit that key, she is going to fire up without issue
Runs on any gas - or it did anyhoo. Now I give it only 93 as it's pinging. (Age related 265,600miles)
Runs forever - see above and those 200,000 miles ive put on this truck have all been driving like I stole it..
Easy to maintain - its a simple engine imo. Ive done all the maintainance on this engine - the valve shimming, timing belt isnt bad at all. Just tedious without air tools

Cons for me:

Not enough torque/hp - while she kicks out a beautifully flat torque curve it would be much better if the whole curve was about 70ftlbs higher.
So so Gas milage - 15city/21hwy (If I draft and do 65, ill get 24mpg)

Need a bigger gas tank - ok so a 2nd gen con
Needs a higher payload - ditto as above...

Quick Reply: ATTENTION ALL 3.0 owners!! Explain your likes and dislikes