Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Assistance needed to identify existing lift for best replacement

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2010, 12:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Assistance needed to identify existing lift for best replacement

Hi everybody! I have a 98 SR5 3.4 that I bought in 2005 that already had a lift and wasn't able to talk the the original owner to get any info on it since I got it from a used lot. I've done a lot of searching and from a visual inspection without removal, I think I might have Bilsteins on the front but could use a hand from the seasoned fellows to confirm/deny.

The reason I'm researching now is because it recently started sagging slightly (see comparison pic) and the body roll worsened. It still handles ok but def not the same. I bought this in 05 with 46k and it's at 101k now (and I don't offroad but I'm plenty rough on it). So I'm thinking I need front shocks and or coils...

A few years ago the rear shocks went so I had to take a guess at what the lift height was and guessed it was ~2 inches and got skyjackers to replace the doetsche tech shocks (which is why I had to guess, douchetech never helped by replying to me with the specs on the old ones).

I have no idea what springs are on the front and back and understand that those are what gives the actual lift (which I might still be wrong on what the actual height is).

I don't know if I should do the front shocks or the shocks and coils... I don't even have the wrench for the adjustables on the front - any suggestions where to get one? If money were no object, I would just get a toyotec kit but money is an object so I'd like to not replace the entire lift if possible. I do want to keep the same height and handling/ride that I have.

Any help or insight is appreciated - I've done a bunch of searching and reading but I'm currently stuck without taking them off. Thanks!!

From 2005:

From this morning:

Last edited by zeik; 05-18-2010 at 12:34 PM.
Old 05-18-2010, 12:41 PM

You're gonna need a spanner wrench and a whole lotta torque judging from those rusted threads.
Old 05-18-2010, 02:31 PM

Received 84 Likes on 56 Posts
Those look like the TRD bilsteins on the front, which are good shocks. It looks like they could be adjusted about an inch or so higher, you might want to try that if you're on a budget. A nice set of coil overs to replace those would be around $500.

It looks from the pics that the back maintained the height, so if you are pleased with the ride just adjust the front shocks.

Your best bet may be to go to a junkyard and try to find some bilsteins from a TRD package toyota that is a little newer.
Old 05-19-2010, 10:31 AM

Thanks okie81, I searched a found a few but most had a square peg. It woulda been nice if the previous owner included it with the truck but I can't complain considering the lift didn't cost me anything. I'm thinking of spraying the threads with liquid wrench every day and try to clean them up before I actually get to the task.

Thanks too PismoJoe, I was fairly certain they were Bilsteins but didn't want to just assume. It feels like one (or both) is/are shot cause the front end will "bounce" side to side pretty badly when going over even small obstacles (curbs, medians, potholes). So other than 95.5-04 Tacos and 96-02 4Rs would any other models/years with TRD package have Bilsteins that'd work for me?
Old 05-19-2010, 12:55 PM

Received 84 Likes on 56 Posts
nope I think that those are the only years that are interchangeable. Good luck with your project, hope you have her leveled out again!
Old 05-19-2010, 01:17 PM

Received 120 Likes on 59 Posts
Those may be bilsteins up front, but Toyota never put adjustable bilsteins on the front of a truck like you have. Deff aftermarket. I've never seen those. I'd contact toytec because that almost looks like their stuff with the eibach silver coils. Also WTF is up with that top spacer AND adjustable crap? Eek.

Old 05-19-2010, 02:11 PM
Sponsoring Vendor

Time to remove all that stuff, and start over!!!

^^ click-able ^^

Life Time Warranty!!

OME is another good option.
Old 05-20-2010, 10:35 AM

That makes me feel better about being confused as hell when trying to figure out what they did with these coil overs...

Originally Posted by scuba
Those may be bilsteins up front, but Toyota never put adjustable bilsteins on the front of a truck like you have. Deff aftermarket. I've never seen those. I'd contact toytec because that almost looks like their stuff with the eibach silver coils. Also WTF is up with that top spacer AND adjustable crap? Eek.

Old 05-20-2010, 10:41 AM

Darrick, would you PM with a discount code? I'm incredibly strapped for cash right now but I'd at least be able to get an accurate idea of what my final prices would be. I've been drooling over the ultimate kit but damn bills, bills, bills, bills, well you get the idea.... I might get the spanner wrench and basic shocks for now to just get by and save for a whole new setup.

Originally Posted by ToyTec Lifts
Time to remove all that stuff, and start over!!!

^^ click-able ^^

Life Time Warranty!!

OME is another good option.
Old 05-20-2010, 12:09 PM

zeik, several years back I installed several of those lift kits, and at the time I only knew of two companies that sold those kits. One being Downey Off Road, and the other was Northwest Off Road. The front Bilstein shock should have 2 or 3 grooves on the lower shock body where the adjusting sleeve is located. You won't be able to see it unless you take the assembly apart. It gives you an option for 0-3" of lift. You will need the spanner wrench to adjust the tension on the coil itself, in order for you to level the lift, and adjust the dampening of the shock. If I remember correctly, the rear springs were from a company in Germany and are supposed to be a progressive spring. Before you make any adjustments in the front, you must get the wheels (frts.) off the ground, so there is no "Load" on the strut. Those kits were notorious for having the upper ball joint rub on the coil spring if you cranked the lift to it's maximum.
Old 05-20-2010, 12:28 PM

i just put toy tec coilovers on my tacoma and i like them alot. i went from stock. my old worn out stockers rode so much worse than the toy tecs. easy to install and great customer service as well from my experience.
Old 05-20-2010, 11:00 PM
Ken
Contributing Member

Also looks like your driver's side CV boot is toast and needs replacing.
Old 05-20-2010, 11:03 PM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
while your at it rip off that silly chrome trim and the running boards
Old 05-20-2010, 11:06 PM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by zeik

ya that cv's is toast
Old 05-21-2010, 06:07 AM
Sponsoring Vendor

Originally Posted by zeik;
Darrick, would you PM with a discount code?
Pm sent.
Old 05-24-2010, 10:37 AM

Originally Posted by stepside trd
zeik, several years back I installed several of those lift kits, and at the time I only knew of two companies that sold those kits. One being Downey Off Road, and the other was Northwest Off Road. The front Bilstein shock should have 2 or 3 grooves on the lower shock body where the adjusting sleeve is located. You won't be able to see it unless you take the assembly apart. It gives you an option for 0-3" of lift. You will need the spanner wrench to adjust the tension on the coil itself, in order for you to level the lift, and adjust the dampening of the shock. If I remember correctly, the rear springs were from a company in Germany and are supposed to be a progressive spring. Before you make any adjustments in the front, you must get the wheels (frts.) off the ground, so there is no "Load" on the strut. Those kits were notorious for having the upper ball joint rub on the coil spring if you cranked the lift to it's maximum.
Awesome insight stepside, thanks! I do have to say that the street ride with this setup has been phenomenal - tight handling with little to no sway even at high speeds and sharp corners (although it does scare the crap out of any passengers). I've been running street radials too since I rarely have the need to go anywhere off road (Pirelli Scorpion STR A). I've hauled and towed as well and always a smooth ride regardless of weight.

Originally Posted by B. Graves
i just put toy tec coilovers on my tacoma and i like them alot. i went from stock. my old worn out stockers rode so much worse than the toy tecs. easy to install and great customer service as well from my experience.
Good to hear another good experience B., I think once I can afford it that Toytec is my choice.

Originally Posted by Ken
Also looks like your driver's side CV boot is toast and needs replacing.
Originally Posted by Elton
ya that cv's is toast
Oh you are definitely correct - passenger cv too. Both inner boots were torn when I got the truck but kept procrastinating dropping the diff so I never changed them since I'd prob tear the new ones too. Amaziningly they've lasted over 50k but now that I'm finally getting to taking care of everything they'll both be changed.

Originally Posted by ToyTec Lifts
Pm sent.
Thanks Darrick, I'll be getting a spanner wrench, diff drop and pair of shocks to start. I'll hit you up again when I can get the kit
Old 05-24-2010, 02:29 PM

yep, i vote they are from downey offroad.
Old 05-26-2010, 06:19 AM

OK, I think the concepts are finally starting to sink in and I understand this a little better after reading tons of posts and guides... Being that I haven't had the experience of working hands on with suspensions and lifts, it's been a little confusing just reading about it.

So I plan on replacing the fronts with 5100's and keeping the same coils for now. Since the 5100's can do 2.5", should I eliminate the adjustable sleeves and keep the spacer? Or no spacer and keep the adjustable? Or get rid of both and just use the 5100 set at 2.5?
Old 05-26-2010, 07:37 AM

Received 37 Likes on 20 Posts
I know you're eager to get this done as soon as possible, but if I were you I'd just save up for the ultimate lift kit from ToyTec that you were linked to up a few posts. Great all around lift which it does look like you'll need, plus you can't beat a lifetime warranty! I've had mine on for about 5 months now and I love it, very nice kit.
Old 05-27-2010, 06:29 AM

You're right, I am - it really grinds my gears that she's not able to handle the usual punishment

But I thought about waiting too and that I'd be spending $200-$300 now just to replace it later (or do everything else piecemeal).

It's so hard to resist but I would be able to get the kit sooner if I just wait and don't do anything for now...

Thanks for the opinion on the kit too, if I'm going to drop $1k it's good to hear the positive reviews.

Originally Posted by CodyX36
I know you're eager to get this done as soon as possible, but if I were you I'd just save up for the ultimate lift kit from ToyTec that you were linked to up a few posts. Great all around lift which it does look like you'll need, plus you can't beat a lifetime warranty! I've had mine on for about 5 months now and I love it, very nice kit.

Quick Reply: Assistance needed to identify existing lift for best replacement