Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Armor All = No bueno?

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2004, 06:44 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Armor All = No bueno?

A couple guys at work today both told me that its a bad idea to put Armor All on my tires, something about how a certain chemical in it dries the rubber and makes it crack. Is this true? I've been using Armor All for awhile now and I have noticed alot of cracking, especially in my rear tires, but I figured it was just from offroading.
I'm getting new Revo's tommorow and I dont wanna put this stuff on them if it's dangerous....any input? Is there anything else to use instead? Thanks!
Old 06-30-2004, 07:17 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I used AmorAll back when it first came out (1970's) on a cherry, original '47 Oldsmobile, wide whitewall tires, black laquer paint, and a beautiful fatory woodgrained dash. I didn't want to wax the dash since most waxes have abrasives. I thought ArmorAll was the answer.

It ruined it...developed a whitish haze.

I haven't spent one nickel on AA since. I can't recommend it even for tires.
Old 06-30-2004, 07:45 PM
Contributing Member

I thought it was suposed to prevent cracking. That's why I use it. I'm interested in what everyone has to say about this.
Old 06-30-2004, 08:00 PM

Crap, I've been using Armorall wipes on my interior. Should I be concerned or are we talking about the tire stuff only?
Old 06-30-2004, 08:02 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Maybe a LITTLE off topic, but I recommend a sunshade more than anything to protect not only the dash, but the whole interior. That coupled with some decent tint will do wonders for the life of your interior. I don't use armor-all anymore, mainly becuase I hate the residue it builds on the dash. I only use the cleaning wipes. I'd be hesitant to claim that it CAUSES cracks.
Old 06-30-2004, 08:04 PM

use meguairs leather conditioner for your interior vinil and other things
Old 06-30-2004, 08:29 PM
Rugby10

Originally Posted by Pretacopower
A couple guys at work today both told me that its a bad idea to put Armor All on my tires, something about how a certain chemical in it dries the rubber and makes it crack. Is this true? I've been using Armor All for awhile now and I have noticed alot of cracking, especially in my rear tires, but I figured it was just from offroading.
I'm getting new Revo's tommorow and I dont wanna put this stuff on them if it's dangerous....any input? Is there anything else to use instead? Thanks!

Dude, My roommate puts freakin' motor oil on his tires! He is a total redneck from the bluegrass state, and is kind of miserly as well. I always thought the bought brands of tire shiners were better... I couldn't have been more wrong. I have no idea if the oil is bad for tires of not, but his are always really black, not shiny, but really black. I'm constantly putting all that stuff on my tires, and thus buying more. He just busts out a rag once in awhile and rubs dino juice on um. Anyone ever heard of this? I'm thinking about giving it a whirl.
Old 06-30-2004, 08:32 PM
Contributing Member

Like I said on a similar post over at Pirate:
"Armor-All is kinda like Rogaine. It works quite well but once you start using it, you cannot stop or else you're ˟˟˟˟˟˟ed."
Old 06-30-2004, 09:11 PM

Im no redneck, but here in Hawaii we just rub coconuts on our canoe tires. They get a nice shine. nah Im using that eagle one wet shine for my tires, but its been rainning here alot latley and the tires dont look shinny anymore.
Old 06-30-2004, 09:36 PM

On my 2nd gen, I used armour all for 4-5 years and by the time it came to sell the truck, the tires were brown.
Old 06-30-2004, 11:23 PM
Contributing Member

Yeah someone recommended that I use something called "Black Magic" for my tires....anyone heard of it?
Old 06-30-2004, 11:42 PM

Originally Posted by Pretacopower
Were the tyres that you have noticed cracking already on before you got it,like from a dealer or something.If so they probably would have had tyre paint put on them,which always starts to crack after a while.
Ive always used AA over the years & havent seen anything unusual,but maybe im just used to it.if there is some good evidence as to why i shouldnt use it i will stop when i get my next set.
Old 07-01-2004, 12:16 AM
Contributing Member

Talking

it seems like i hear more bad things about armor all than good, thats why ive never used it
Old 07-01-2004, 12:33 AM

Armor all smells bad. I've also heard the damage claims.

I've been using Black Maginc ever since I found it on sale at Sam's Club once.
Old 07-01-2004, 02:11 AM
Contributing Member

I use nothiing but Simple Green,slightly diluted on my interior and Meguire's Endurance on my tires and the stuff works very well.
Old 07-01-2004, 02:18 AM

I use that black majic on all my black and vynil parts, never tried it on the tires. I wonder what would happen, anyone use it there yet? Did it stain the tires?
Old 07-01-2004, 04:50 AM
Banned

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts
Talking Notecard

Last Toyota I purchased had a notecard in the glove box that stated not to use Armor All products anywhere on the vehicle, especially the interior. Armor All is crap IMO and just like all those new fangled lip balms and chap sticks that seem to be so popular with youth these days. They are made so that once you start using them you can't stop or your lips start cracking. Armor All is tire lip balm!

I highly recommend Lexol Leather Cleaner and Conditioner for your leather seats, and Vinylex for the rest of the interior and your exterior plastic and rubber. It works great, lasts a long time, and keeps everything looking new and shiny. My dealer carries it locally. Griot's tire and rubber stuff works good as well but for all the time use it is too $$$.

Old 07-01-2004, 04:53 AM
Contributing Member

Received 45 Likes on 35 Posts
I've been using Black Magic or Tire Wet for years with no ill affects. When I'm in a bling mood, the undercarriage gets a mist of the stuff too. That's after I've Simple Greened first...

Andreas
Old 07-01-2004, 04:58 AM

Originally Posted by Bigkahuna808
use meguairs leather conditioner for your interior vinil and other things
I used the same thing on my Nova, all over the interior. It was about two months ago and it still looks GREAT.

Also use Black Magic on my tires, although I dont think it lasts very long.
Old 07-01-2004, 04:59 AM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
I have mentioned here and on other forums that AA sucks big time.
I started using it back in the '70s, and it does indeed turn the tires brown.

I use to use it in the interior too, but have not for perhaps close to 20 years or more.
It's bad, believe the horror stories, they are true.

I only use Meguiar's Endurnace tire gel when it's time to clean up the rig, and that stuff is awesome for the tires.

I also only use Tuff Stuff liquid spray for the interior, as it leaves no shine, it cleans only.

Please see my detail site in my sig file if you want to learn more on tires and interiors.

Last year I had some AA wheel cleaner spray laying around I had bought, and I tired it on my Centerlines to get off the extra dirt.
It ruined them, and there is a post on here from it.

I had to buy some Griot's mag polish to get the wheels looking good again, as the AA cleaner streaked the alloy wheels bad, very bad.
Shame on AA

Quick Reply: Armor All = No bueno?