Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Arghhhh! The ticking!

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2003, 09:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Arghhhh! The ticking!

I've started to notice a ticking in my 99 4Runner. It sounds like there is a rock in my tire. I don't think it is anything serious, but maybe someone has been in my shoes.

Basically, you can hear it if you have the window down and there is something for the sound to reflect off of. So, if you are driving down the road next to a car or whatever, there is a "tick-tick" sound that increases with vehicle speed, but not engine revs.

I'd bet money there is a rock or screw in the tire, but I've looked so many times, I have the tread pattern burned in my retinas and no rock or screw can be found.

It also is louder on the driver side than passenger.

Any ideas?

Mike
Old 01-29-2003, 09:35 AM
Contributing Member

Is it a timed ticking?

Does it tick in nuetral while coasting?

If the answer to #2 is yes, then at least you can take the powertrain off the list.

I think tires is a really good guess.
Old 01-29-2003, 09:47 AM

Do you ever air down for off road use? If so you might have a pebble INSIDE the tire. Just spouting off ideas
Nathan
Old 01-29-2003, 11:49 AM

My 2000 Tacoma also ticks. Sounds like it is coming from the the area direclty behind the instrument cluster. It doesn't always do it but sometimes it is very noticable. Probably no reason to post as this sounds completely different than what you are describing. Just thought i'd share my ticking story as well.
Old 01-29-2003, 02:46 PM
Contributing Member

i have an annoying tick that is coming from a vacuum valve in the corner of the engine compartment - driver side, near the firewall. I isolated the tick by using the time tested screwdriver to the ear trick. It's kind of annoying but doesn't seem to be causing any problems.
Old 01-29-2003, 03:00 PM
Contributing Member

Shot in the dark, have you had an alarm installed recently. Make sure the siren is secure and not hitting anything. Mine tends to come loose and start a very annoying clicking noise...
Old 01-29-2003, 04:02 PM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by injektilo
My 2000 Tacoma also ticks. Sounds like it is coming from the the area direclty behind the instrument cluster. It doesn't always do it but sometimes it is very noticable. Probably no reason to post as this sounds completely different than what you are describing. Just thought i'd share my ticking story as well.
Does your tick speed as you increase your speed? I'd be willing to bet that your speedo cable needs some lube. Just a thought.
Old 01-29-2003, 07:26 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by transalper
i have an annoying tick that is coming from a vacuum valve in the corner of the engine compartment - driver side, near the firewall. I isolated the tick by using the time tested screwdriver to the ear trick. It's kind of annoying but doesn't seem to be causing any problems.
I'd bet that it's the same thing I've had from the day I bought my rig. See this thread. There's a part available from Toyota to fix it. The TSB number is in that thread - if you take that to your Toyota dealer they should be able to fix you up.
Old 01-30-2003, 11:33 AM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by mpulver
I'd bet that it's the same thing I've had from the day I bought my rig. See this thread. There's a part available from Toyota to fix it. The TSB number is in that thread - if you take that to your Toyota dealer they should be able to fix you up.
By using the poor man's stethoscope (a screw driver pressed to my ear), I'm 90% sure the ticking sound I'm hearing is coming from this device:

What is this sucker and why is it ticking??
Old 01-30-2003, 11:42 AM

Originally posted by tomus1000
Does your tick speed as you increase your speed? I'd be willing to bet that your speedo cable needs some lube. Just a thought.
I don't think so. I can only hear it when I am stopped. I'm fairly certain my ticking is coming from the device in the picture above (at least that area). The other day I was trying to locate the source and thats the area i had pin pointed (drivers side, near the firewall). I'm gonna check when I get home.

Last edited by injektilo; 01-30-2003 at 11:49 AM.
Old 01-30-2003, 12:07 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by transalper
By using the poor man's stethoscope (a screw driver pressed to my ear), I'm 90% sure the ticking sound I'm hearing is coming from this device:
What is this sucker and why is it ticking??
I've had the fix for what I'm hearing described as "A small (50cc) chamber that attaches to your (charcoal) cannister". The charcoal cannister is the thing in your picture with the two domes on it. The thing that you're pointing at looks like it could be a "50cc chamber", and it's defnitely attached to the cannister. I don't have the thing that you're pointing to in my '96.

Bummer man. I would be lead to believe that the "fix" may not be fixing the noise in all trucks.
Old 01-30-2003, 12:52 PM

There's a TSB on some Taco's right now for that VSV. You might try calling Toyota National and see what they say. I have the same noise that you're describing and I'm pretty sure it's not an injector b/c it's only on the one side.
Old 01-30-2003, 09:25 PM

Don't think that's my tick

My tick speeds up and slows down with vehicle speed. You can hear it while driving 'till it slows down to about 15mph or so. Then either it is too quiet or it's gone.

I can put it in neutral (while still rolling, that is) and still here it. I've even rode the brakes to see if it's something in there. My next thought is something flapping on the driveshaft (piece of tape, bag ??) I'll be checking that next. If that's not it, I'm getting about 5 gallons of gas and a match. That should stop the ticking.

Old 01-31-2003, 05:02 AM
Contributing Member

Re: Don't think that's my tick

Originally posted by mhawker
My tick speeds up and slows down with vehicle speed. You can hear it while driving 'till it slows down to about 15mph or so. Then either it is too quiet or it's gone.

I can put it in neutral (while still rolling, that is) and still here it. I've even rode the brakes to see if it's something in there. My next thought is something flapping on the driveshaft (piece of tape, bag ??) I'll be checking that next. If that's not it, I'm getting about 5 gallons of gas and a match. That should stop the ticking.

If you put it in nuetral, your driveshaft should stop spinning...even whole rolling. Am I right guys?
Old 01-31-2003, 05:37 AM

No the d-shaft would keep spinning because the wheels are turning it.
Old 01-31-2003, 06:15 AM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by FattyCBR
There's a TSB on some Taco's right now for that VSV. You might try calling Toyota National and see what they say. I have the same noise that you're describing and I'm pretty sure it's not an injector b/c it's only on the one side.
Do you know the name or number of this TSB?
Old 01-31-2003, 07:11 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Like an idiot, I started a new thread on the ticking subject because I didn't think it was a tire issue or anything to do with the charcoal canister or pinging (?). However, a tick is a tick so I am reposting here and abandoning my new thread. Sorry for the bandwidth.

On my '02 4R w/ SC I am hearing a ticking sound when I accelerate under very light load/pedal. It sounds like it is coming from the Center RIGHT side around the glove compartment area. This is a new sound and happens at very low speeds --- 0-30+ mph. I figure it is some odd anomaly and _not_ a PING ???? It can't be a speedo cable noise because it is on the _right_ side. I looked for TSB's that might relate but there are none. I figure that what I will have to do is take the glove box out and have my wife, the nurse, drive me around while I probe the area with my engine stethoscope. Any one experience this same problem?
Old 02-03-2003, 09:27 AM

maybe?

I think I may have found the ticking. I believe it was a loose wheel weight on the inside of the left rear tire.

I was poking around and poked one of the wheel weights. It wasn't really "loose" per se, but just not flush with the wheel. I could tap it against the wheel by pushing on it. I duc-taped it down to see if the sound goes away. I didn't hear it this morning so I think that did it.

Mike
Old 02-03-2003, 10:38 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well, I guess it is true that Duct Tape is what is holding this nation together ... for now.

I am glad your tick is gone ... mine has too and I didn't even need the duct tape. :confused:

I just changed out my OE air filter for the Amsoil thoroughly rung out foam filter and I am now waiting for the tick to come back.

I also checked my mileage and for 193 around town miles driven, I got 15.4 mpg. My NA '99 gets 18 mpg under the same circumstances.
Old 02-03-2003, 10:43 AM

this is a long shot, but i sometimes get the ticking in the summer and i finally found out that it was TAR ON MY TIRE..it would stick to the road during contact with the road...once i scrapped it off, it was gone...so good luck...

Quick Reply: Arghhhh! The ticking!