Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Aren't the dash lights and trailer lights supposed to work??

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2007, 07:54 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Aren't the dash lights and trailer lights supposed to work??

Well i was out testing the trailer lights for the trailer i will be towing in a few days and i come to find that they only do the blinkers and brake lights but no running lights. Is that right?

It seems like they may have worked with the running light at first but then it stopped and now i find that my dash lights are dead too! But not all of them just the RPM and Speed lights are dead. the rest work fine. Any ideas as to what could be the problem with both? I am more worried about the dash lights as i can get by with the trailer but they may be connected.

I am about to go pull some fuses but i doubt that is the problem as the rest of the lights work. Thanks.
Old 05-28-2007, 08:19 PM
Donny, you're out of your element
Staff

Received 54 Likes on 34 Posts
fuses for 100% sure

which means

its prolly going to do it again....something isn't wired right
Old 05-28-2007, 09:45 PM
Contributing Member

It might be a fuse but i realized i can't pull them while i am flushing my raditor.

So that will be tomorrow. Why would a fuse go out for the speed and tach lights only? wouldn't they all be together? and would the trailer lights be connected to it?

One thing after talking to the other guy that was helping me we found out was that the running lights did indeed work at first but the blinkers only half worked. Now the blinkers work great but no running lights.

I will pull the fuses to Tomorrow and see what i find. PLEASE PLEASE LET IS BE A FUSE! I don't have time to take apart the dash before i go!
Old 05-29-2007, 08:38 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The running lights were the first to go when my converter went bad!
Old 05-29-2007, 08:45 AM
Contributing Member

What converter? and what else went?
Old 05-29-2007, 09:35 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Texas_Ace
It might be a fuse but i realized i can't pull them while i am flushing my raditor.

So that will be tomorrow. Why would a fuse go out for the speed and tach lights only? wouldn't they all be together? and would the trailer lights be connected to it?

One thing after talking to the other guy that was helping me we found out was that the running lights did indeed work at first but the blinkers only half worked. Now the blinkers work great but no running lights.

I will pull the fuses to Tomorrow and see what i find. PLEASE PLEASE LET IS BE A FUSE! I don't have time to take apart the dash before i go!

You have blown a fuse for sure....what caused it is another story. The instrument panel lights are on the same fuse as the running lights. Judging from what you said about the blinkers only half working....you may have a bad bulb somewhere. Blinkers can act very strange if one element is burned out and the others are working. That bulb might even have a relationship to the fuse blowing once the trailer was hooked up.

I would check the fuses first. Unhook the trailer and make sure ALL blinkers, running lights, blinkers with running lights, and brakes are working correctly. If they are, I would then check the trailer wiring harness on the truck...make sure the wire is intact...then do the same on the trailer. Often the wires get scraped and may be shorting somewhere. Then check all the bulbs on the trailer.

Also you might try the trailer on another vehicle if you have one with a trailer hookup. I had an issue with mine one time, I was thinking it was the 4runner, turned out the trailer was wired wrong and had a bad bulb.

Good Luck
Old 05-29-2007, 09:42 AM
Contributing Member

I had issues with my 02 and the towing lights. Check the area that the plug that connects all the lights togethr. (drivers side rear near the bumper). Mine wasnt getting full contact and that might be causing your to short out. Worth a shot and hope you get it fixed