Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

ARB vs. TJM

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2004, 07:59 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ARB vs. TJM

Ok not really looking to start a debate or anything, just looking for some insight and some good shots of them. I know the pros and cons for the most part, ARB is alot more SOLID and weighs more. That doesn't bother me I will just crank up my SAWs to even it out if need be. I love the looks of the TJM T15, and as long as I get the Taco ARB it would look fine too. What I would like to know is for those of you running these bumpers what are your insights after having owned and wheeled with them for awhile? Also please give me as many pictures of your rig with either of these bumpers you can.

Thanks in advance.
Old 09-27-2004, 08:12 PM
Contributing Member

I've only had mine on for a few months, but I like the ARB Prado. I like that it sticks out just past my limited style flares and protects them from the rocks. The Tacoma ARB tucks in tighter, but you lose protection for your flares.

I guess it depends on how you plan to use it.

Old 09-27-2004, 08:29 PM
Contributing Member

I really like my TJM T-17. Looks really clean and goes good with my 4Runner. That thing is pretty dang beefy too.

Old 09-27-2004, 09:24 PM
Banned

isnt tjm directly distributed by arb? or am i thinking tjm is hella?
Old 09-27-2004, 09:28 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
TJM does not equal ARB. ARB-USA is based out of Seattle. TJM-USA is out of Knoxville, TN. ARB owns IPF lights and OME suspensions.

If you want protection for your limited flares, then an ARB Prado bar is the only option you have. You can get the Prado Bull Bar or the Prado Sahara Bar. Bull Bar is about $800 and the Sahara Bar is about $1100. Don't forget to add about $200-$400 for lights depending on what you get.
Old 09-27-2004, 10:11 PM
Contributing Member

TJM T-15

- strong. it's taken some minor hits, no dents. thankfully i haven't had to sustain any major hits so far.
- looks good
- much better approach angle.
- the aux lights i have (lightforce 140s) go oh-so well with it.
- i'm sure the winch will go well with it, whenever i get that
- no complaints
i'd say check my website for pictures, but it's having problems now, so hopefully it'll be back up soon.
Old 09-27-2004, 10:50 PM

im looking into getting one as well

What have you guys noticed about your bumpers as far as:

1. gas mileage change?
2. bolt on to a 2000 or need to drill or weld?
3. places for fog lights and keep my original turn signals
4. handling difference?
5. Tjm-15 is on sale now for 606 bucks verse what for a arb?
6. what about airflow, looks like radiator is obstructed in the lower area versus stock?
7. anyone wanna trade for a stock green 2000 with a manik bull bar?

thanks for your replies.
Mark
Old 09-28-2004, 01:31 AM

Is there anything avalible for an '83 pickup? So far, I've only seen the years go from '84 and up
Old 09-28-2004, 04:32 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by chaos_cascade_
What have you guys noticed about your bumpers as far as:

1. gas mileage change? NONE. It weighs the same as the OEM bumper and crush bar. Adding in your brush guard, and you'll be LOSING weight up front until you add a winch, then it will be a wash again.

2. bolt on to a 2000 or need to drill or weld? TJM will bolt on. ARB, you have to modify the end caps, then it bolts on.

3. places for fog lights and keep my original turn signals? TJM, you can buy a kit and mount some Hella Fogs in the bumper. ARB Bull Bar, you're S.O.L. ARB Sahara Bar is like mine and has a place for 2.5" IPF Fogs.

4. handling difference? Nope

5. Tjm-15 is on sale now for 606 bucks verse what for a arb? About $700-$800 (shipped) for a ARB Bull Bar and about $1100 (shipped) for a ARB Sahara Bar, but price isn't everything either.

6. what about airflow, looks like radiator is obstructed in the lower area versus stock? Nope. If you're worried about your tranny, then get a hayden cooler for $50 and install it.

7. anyone wanna trade for a stock green 2000 with a manik bull bar? I doubt that. Good Luck

There's a bunch of pics of mine that were taken for the ARB Catalog at:

http://www.4rnr.net/arb

Last edited by bamachem; 09-28-2004 at 04:34 AM.
Old 09-28-2004, 05:19 AM
Contributing Member

Thanks guys, keep um coming. I'm not all that worried about my LTD flares, if I get extream to the point where they are taking hits then I might as well take them off. The Taco bar will be my only option if I go ARB, the Sahara Bar is too costly for me. I rather get the Taco bar and add a winch for the price difference. I HAD the TJM T17, I liked that look very much, I just rather have the hoops. The T17 took the accident like a champ and left my 4Runner sitting pretty, while the van I hit looked like a semi had hit it. I will never own another truck without a bull bar.

Lets see/hear some more.
Old 09-28-2004, 05:55 AM
Banned

Suit yourself, but if you take off your flares, then you'll have holes in your front fenders, doors, and rear quarter to fill and repaint. It's not as simple as just popping them off and looking like a SR5.

You can get the ARB Bull Bar in the wider PRADO version for the same price as the Taco Bull Bar and it will then protect the front edge of the flares.
Old 09-28-2004, 06:06 AM
Contributing Member

Oh I know what it will look like, Jason's LC looks like that now. Since his custom tree mod, and a night ride at Uwharrie claimed a flare each. The point I was trying to make was that I don't plan on gettin extream enough to be worried about my flares. I just like the way the Taco bar fits tighter than the Prado bar, closer to the body lines of the 3rd gen 4Runner.
Old 09-28-2004, 08:07 AM

Bah... Fender flares are rock magnets... get rid of them...

As for form over function... hmph. You plan on getting a winch sooner or later, right? Well... I know of SEVERAL hardcore guys that have TJM bumpers that have had to reinforce the crap out of them b/c they've tweaked them when winching. I've NEVER tweaked my ARB, including the one that I used to have on the 4Runner, while winching... Something to consider.
Old 09-28-2004, 10:02 AM
Contributing Member

stump...
TJM has a refurbished sale, don't know if they have anything you would want, but its something to look into atleast. I'm planning on making some better bumper hangers for my TJM when I do my 2" body lift. My god-father's shop has a plazma cutter on a computer driven arm so once I get everything sorted out all you would need is some plate steel to have perches at any height and have them be stronger. Just a thought...
Old 09-28-2004, 10:21 AM

Originally Posted by Stump1883
Ok not really looking to start a debate or anything, just looking for some insight and some good shots of them. I know the pros and cons for the most part, ARB is alot more SOLID and weighs more. That doesn't bother me I will just crank up my SAWs to even it out if need be. I love the looks of the TJM T15, and as long as I get the Taco ARB it would look fine too. What I would like to know is for those of you running these bumpers what are your insights after having owned and wheeled with them for awhile? Also please give me as many pictures of your rig with either of these bumpers you can.

Thanks in advance.
How mch are you asking for the tjm 17 I am in raleigh I could pick it up.