Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

ARB Tacoma vs. Prado Bull Bar

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2009, 06:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ARB Tacoma vs. Prado Bull Bar

I got into a fender bender this past week and the TJM 15 didn't survive. It really sucks you can't get these in the US anymore. I'm looking into my options for replacing it, been thinking about either Shrockworks or ARB. I searched pretty heavily and know that there are two ARB bumpers that will fit a 3rd gen, the tacoma version and the prado version. I have a limited, so I'm thinking I need the wider prado version, but can't seem to find a vendor that specifically sells that one. Does anyone know who sells the wider (prado) ARB bull bar? Also, any pics of the ARB installed with limited flares (the tacoma or prado) would be awesome! Thanks guys, trying to get my rig looking good again!
Old 11-20-2009, 10:23 PM

Here are some pictures of my ARB prado bar. I re-drilled the mounting holes to pull it closer to the grill, and you'll have some gaps on either side. I covered those gaps with some plastic. The benefit is that the prado bar is wider than the Tacoma bar so it protects the sport/limited flares better.

Installation:
http://www.blankwhitepage.com/gallery/t4r_arb_prado

- Matt
Old 11-21-2009, 07:49 AM

Awesome, that was exactly what I was looking for. I think I may just end up going with the Tacoma bar, I would almost rather have a tighter fit and leave the fender flares exposed (its just plastic anyway). Does anyone have any good pictures of how far the limited flares stick out past the Tacoma bar?
Old 11-21-2009, 08:08 AM

You can see a little bit there.
Old 11-21-2009, 01:38 PM

It looks like the ARB tacoma bull bar fits the limited flares about like the TJM 15 that I've had for years, I was worried that the difference was going to be a lot more drastic. The next problem I have to tackle is that I've got a 2" body lift, which Steve at Sonoran Steel helped me out with by re-making by TJM brackets to fit the body lift. I'm sure a decent off-road shop could do the same with the ARB brackets, anybody have any pictures of modified ARB brackets so I have an idea of what might work?
Old 11-21-2009, 05:40 PM

I can take a close up pic of the limited flares, and my Taco bar tomorrow if you want? Anyways, the way you modify the ARB to fit a body lift, is to take the brackets that it mounts to, and simply drill identical holes to the ones that are in it, 2 inches higher.
Old 11-22-2009, 05:56 AM

Some more pictures would be great, especially of the mounting brackets and the bumper compared to the limited flares. The body shop thinks they may be able to pound the bumper back to "normal" and repaint it - that would be ideal from a financial standpoint but that thing is pretty banged up so I'm not gonna get my hopes up. The more I look at the ARB bumper the more I like it, and I can get it shipped to a local 4wheelparts store free so I could pick one up for around $750, which is a whole lot better than the $1200 that a Shrockworks would set me back by the time it got to my door.
Old 11-22-2009, 01:50 PM

here's another picture of a tacoma arb bar with the wider flares.

Old 11-26-2009, 02:50 AM

I should receive my Prado bumper this Friday and most likely will be putting it in my wife's '01 Limited this weeknd. I can do some images when finished if you want.
Old 11-26-2009, 07:53 AM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Here's an ARB for sale. Not sure how close you are to Ohio.

http://www.ttora.com/forum/showthread.php?t=145957
Old 11-26-2009, 09:17 AM

I'm pretty sure this is the perfect thread for you: https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f2/m...l-pics-145400/

Oh yeah and btw, love my Taco ARB. I have a M8000 in it too like I think you had in your TJM-15. Post up some updated pictures of your 4Runner man, I wanna see how those MTZ's look

Old 11-26-2009, 04:45 PM

Alexjet - I would love to see some install pics, please keep me updated!

benp - Thanks for the link, that is exactly what I'm looking for. I'm gonna go by the body shop tomorrow and talk to the guys about the chances of saving the TJM - if they can get it looking atleast "decent" then I'll probably try to make it work, atleast for a while. I actually just bought a BajaRack, which I haven't even gotten to install yet, but after dropping + $500 on that I really can't afford to be buying a new bumper right this second if I can help it. Below are the most recent pictures of my 4runner, like I said I'm replacing the Yakima/Surco with a 3rd gen BajaRack. Those ARB bumpers are sick by the way!

Old 11-26-2009, 09:35 PM
ESQ

The prado bar looks like it really robs approach angle. Both stick out a lot further than the shrockworks, but the taco is much better than the prado if you're sticking with ARB.
Old 11-27-2009, 02:31 AM

Originally Posted by ESQ
The prado bar looks like it really robs approach angle. Both stick out a lot further than the shrockworks, but the taco is much better than the prado if you're sticking with ARB.
Why? Could you provide some further info on that?
Old 11-27-2009, 11:33 AM
ESQ

Originally Posted by AlexJet
Why? Could you provide some further info on that?

Just look at it. It sticks waaaay out, especially at the corners.

I have parked my SW equipped runner next to a 4runner with the ARB taco bar and a similar lift, and the approach angle on the ARB bumper is lower on the corners due to the ARB hanging lower and protruding further forward. The prado bar does so even mores than the taco bar. That thing is massive!
Old 11-28-2009, 08:17 PM

Originally Posted by benp
I'm pretty sure this is the perfect thread for you: https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f2/m...l-pics-145400/

Oh yeah and btw, love my Taco ARB. I have a M8000 in it too like I think you had in your TJM-15. Post up some updated pictures of your 4Runner man, I wanna see how those MTZ's look

Hmm something is oddly familiar about the background in those photos, lol, hmmm thinking I might opt for the ARB myself
Old 11-28-2009, 09:11 PM

Heres some pics of my 01 limited with the arb taco bumper..

Heres some with the flares off..

Hope this helps.
Old 12-21-2009, 02:24 AM

Originally Posted by tarheelrunner
Alexjet - I would love to see some install pics, please keep me updated!
Well, my ARB is in already for about 2 weeks and I'm still waiting for CBI. I was thinking to put 2 in a same time, it shouldn't take a long time to put both of them. I looked at SLOMatts pictures and and seems 2-3 hr, may be 4 counting temperature bellow zero and snow here in Canada.

SLOMatt, how long did it take you to put the ARB on? I saw you worked with some help from your friend, so 2 person job.

As my CBI is still on its way (second week already), I might do the install in the begining of January.
Old 12-21-2009, 10:04 PM

Originally Posted by AlexJet
SLOMatt, how long did it take you to put the ARB on? I saw you worked with some help from your friend, so 2 person job.
It took us the better part of a day, the main time drain was re-drilling the mounts to fit on my truck. If your ARB mounts bolt up with no modifications then it shouldn't take more than 2-3 hours to remove the old bumper, cut off the frame horns, and bolt on the new one.

- Matt

Last edited by SLOMatt; 12-21-2009 at 10:05 PM.
Old 12-22-2009, 02:24 AM

Originally Posted by SLOMatt
It took us the better part of a day, the main time drain was re-drilling the mounts to fit on my truck. If your ARB mounts bolt up with no modifications then it shouldn't take more than 2-3 hours to remove the old bumper, cut off the frame horns, and bolt on the new one.

- Matt
Matt,
Why you need to re-drill the mounts? I didn't open my box yet, so I don't know how mine are looks like, but what for you did it on your truck? Is it part which bolts to the frame or the part which goes to the bumper? On your pictures there is only 1 hole shown re-drilled.
Another question would be how does it mounts on the truck. From your pictures I can perfectly see one horisontal bolt which gous through the frame and bracket, but there must be more... As a comparisson, my 2005 ARB bumper holds by 6 bolts on each bracket (4 facing forward and 2 sideways).
Is there any tricks for removing the stock bumper? I don't want to break it, so I'll be able to sell it after. I remember when I removed mine on 2005 it has a few hidden clips and I wasn't told about them, I would of broke the plastic support bracket. Anything on 3rd Gen which I should be aware of?
I'm planning to start working on 26 right after Christmass day and hope to finish 2 bumpers by 28s. BTW, I had a call from warehouse that my CBI might show up before 24th which is good news for me.

Just a side thought. Looking at 1st and last picture, I thought if would be beneficial to weld on a plate at the end of the frame (open rectangular) to close it up and make more rigid???

Do you have any pictures from underneath of the bumper showing skid plating? Would I be able to slide a winch in after the bumper is installed on the truck? I'm planning of adding it at some point next year or year after.

Last edited by AlexJet; 12-22-2009 at 02:38 AM.

Quick Reply: ARB Tacoma vs. Prado Bull Bar