Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

ARB locker (pics)

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2004, 01:27 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ARB locker (pics)

Just received my air locker and compressor today . I'll be installing the compressor this weekend and probably will get the locker installed next weekend or so. Any inputs are welcome. Here are some pics:

George
Old 04-02-2004, 01:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Drool.
Old 04-02-2004, 03:14 PM

Old 04-02-2004, 06:15 PM

Yummy!!
Old 04-02-2004, 06:25 PM

Have you decided where to install that compressor???

If you do not have ABS there is a perfect spot on the rear of the passenger side inner fenderwall near the firewall.

I have ABS so mine could not go there. I took out my cruise control servo and installed the compressor in its place. Works good, but no more cruise control.

When I was at Paragon during the last JAM, a guy showed me a better place to put it. He took out the battery and installed it in the inner fender wall behind the battery. I would not of thought it would fit back in there, but it does. It is tucked away very nicely.

Someday, when I get a free minute, I am going to move my compressor to that location.

Here is a tip for you. If you want to remove the blue line after you insert it into the fittings on the compressor, push inward on the orange rings, and then push in on the blue line and then pull the blue line out while holding the orange rings in. It works like chinese finger cuffs.

Gadget
Old 04-02-2004, 06:32 PM
Contributing Member

Hey Gadget why can't you move the ABS control box down toward the air intake box? There are just two bolts holding it there. I was thinking that if I could move the ABS box down, and then attach the Extremeair compressor in the space that opens up there. There are already bolt holes drilled through the body where I could just attach the compressor.

Last edited by sdastg1; 04-02-2004 at 06:35 PM.
Old 04-02-2004, 06:38 PM

Dude, two things I do not tinker with, brakes and steering. Those stay stock.

You will have to do a lot of custom work on all those hard brake lines going to the ABS pump. It is so much easier to install the ARB compressor somewhere else.

Gadget
Old 04-02-2004, 06:58 PM

Originally Posted by Gadget
Have you decided where to install that compressor???

If you do not have ABS there is a perfect spot on the rear of the passenger side inner fenderwall near the firewall.

I have ABS so mine could not go there. I took out my cruise control servo and installed the compressor in its place. Works good, but no more cruise control.

When I was at Paragon during the last JAM, a guy showed me a better place to put it. He took out the battery and installed it in the inner fender wall behind the battery. I would not of thought it would fit back in there, but it does. It is tucked away very nicely.

Someday, when I get a free minute, I am going to move my compressor to that location.

Here is a tip for you. If you want to remove the blue line after you insert it into the fittings on the compressor, push inward on the orange rings, and then push in on the blue line and then pull the blue line out while holding the orange rings in. It works like chinese finger cuffs.

Gadget
Gadget,
Thanks a lot for the tip for the mounting location for the compressor. I didn't even think about it. In fact, I just walk in into the house to ask for an alternate place to mount the compressor. I was trying to mount it like you, Lars and the majority of people did. I was fitting it into the space between the ABS and cruise control module but I got pissed off cause there's not enough space unless I moved the cruise control module (I tried and it works but I still have to fabricate a custom mounting bracket to clear the a/c line) :pat: . I will try and mount it behind the battery tomorrow after I return from the egg hunting trip for my 4 year old on base.
As for the blue line I found that out when I was tinkering with the compressor and fitting everything prior to installation.
Thanks a lot for the tip. Yotatech rocks!!!!!

George
Old 04-02-2004, 07:12 PM

Images!!! just for references... If needed. BIIIIG Pics... =) BTW this is *BEFORE* my ARB locker installed... Just add a few more "T's" to the manifold with a nifty blue hose hanging out. I also replaced the Red hose with Poly hose.

This is where I put my compressor, I had to move my ABS thing forward... as you see...
http://www.djducky.com/images/4runner/compressor002.jpg

In the next pic, just so you have an Idea, I don't have all that ABS stuff in the above pics... its all integrated to my brake cylinder in this pic...

http://www.djducky.com/images/4runner/brakes001.jpg

Last edited by Ducky; 04-02-2004 at 07:15 PM.
Old 04-02-2004, 07:18 PM

I got two of these things (circled in yellow) on the air locker kit. I thought you only need one of these for the locker installation.

Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

George
Old 04-02-2004, 07:21 PM
Contributing Member

ducky thats exactly what I wanted to do with mine. Well at least now I know that it is possible. thanks man. If you don't mind I've got a few questions about the install I'll pm you in a few weeks when I've got all the stuff together.

By the way where di you mount the tank, and what size?
Old 04-02-2004, 07:35 PM

No prob ask away...

http://www.djducky.com/images/4runner/tankair001.jpg

The take is a Sun Performance 2.5gallon.... Since my spare is moved to the roof... I removed all the brackets for the spare hoist "thingy" and me and jowie made a bracket to hug it up...

the soapy water in the pic is just for testing for leaks... also this is an older pic, Ive since then replaced all the hose with poly. theres one hose that goes to the compressor... and one that comes out to the rear air up port... (I have rear and front ports for air)
http://www.djducky.com/images/4runner/compressor003.jpg

http://www.djducky.com/images/4runner/compressor005.jpg

Course the rear one will have to be redone when I get rid of the stupid hitch and get a new bumper from Schaffer... lol...

Is your brake resivour the same as mine, with all the ABS stuff built into it? some ppl say mine is odd since my passenger side area was void of anything cept that ABS control box.

Last edited by Ducky; 04-02-2004 at 07:37 PM.
Old 04-02-2004, 08:37 PM

That worked out very nice. The earlier trucks like my 96 did not have the ABS modulator pump built into the master cylinder assembly. It is mounted where you have your compressor. That would be a bitch to move. You are lucky and only had to move that electical box.

That is a nice install you did. I like it.

Gadget
Old 04-03-2004, 04:02 AM

Gadget,
Do you have any pics on how he installed the compressor by the battery? Thanks.

George
Old 04-03-2004, 04:03 AM

Originally Posted by Gadget
That worked out very nice. The earlier trucks like my 96 did not have the ABS modulator pump built into the master cylinder assembly. It is mounted where you have your compressor. That would be a bitch to move. You are lucky and only had to move that electical box.

That is a nice install you did. I like it.

Gadget

Same here. If not, then I would be mounting it like you did

George
Old 04-03-2004, 06:32 AM

No, sorry.

Gadget
Old 04-03-2004, 07:42 AM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Ducky
No prob ask away...

http://www.djducky.com/images/4runner/tankair001.jpg

The take is a Sun Performance 2.5gallon.... Since my spare is moved to the roof... I removed all the brackets for the spare hoist "thingy" and me and jowie made a bracket to hug it up...

the soapy water in the pic is just for testing for leaks... also this is an older pic, Ive since then replaced all the hose with poly. theres one hose that goes to the compressor... and one that comes out to the rear air up port... (I have rear and front ports for air)
http://www.djducky.com/images/4runner/compressor003.jpg

http://www.djducky.com/images/4runner/compressor005.jpg

Course the rear one will have to be redone when I get rid of the stupid hitch and get a new bumper from Schaffer... lol...

Is your brake resivour the same as mine, with all the ABS stuff built into it? some ppl say mine is odd since my passenger side area was void of anything cept that ABS control box.
Ducky, great install, just make sure to add some sort of shielding to the areas of hose which touch anything. The road vibration will tend to rub right through the hose and cause a leak. I just use another section of hose, split it down the center and use some zip ties to secure it. Great work man!