Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

ARB Compressor Seized?

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2004, 10:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ARB Compressor Seized?

My compressor doesn't work anymore. Won't turn on.

I checked the pressure switch, relay and last but not least I checked to see if there was power to the compressor and there is (12VDC).

First, I was using it to air up a friends tires after doing my own and it was real hot so I stoped and turned it off. Then I went to use it this week and it doesn't turn on. Like I said power is there.

Seized or burnt?

Anyone else have this happen? How did you fix it?

I know, I know get a real compressor if you are going to be filling tires.
Old 06-25-2004, 10:37 AM
Banned

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts
Talking Watrd

Might shoot WATRD (Rob) a PM, but his wife did just have a baby, so I bet he's just KINDA busy, but it seems like he had one die on him before he got that mongo compressor, or he rebuilt his or something. I bet you could find some info on here about them somewhere if you tried some creative searching. Seems like I read about just what you are talking about from a past thread....

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/show...ressor+rebuild

Old 06-25-2004, 10:49 AM
Contributing Member

How is ARB's service techs? Have you tried their customer service number? Maybe you can troubleshoot with them and at least get an idea as to where your problem might be.
Old 06-25-2004, 10:52 AM

Thanks for pointing to that thread. I did read it again before posting but still didn't get the answer I was looking for.

I just took the cover off the compressot and the piston turns freely so I think it is burnt. But how can it burn out after I turned it off? Maybe the split second when I tried to turn it on a few days ago?

I don't think I will get the answer I want so I will shop for a 100% duty compressor.
Old 06-25-2004, 10:55 AM

Originally Posted by Tacoma Dude
How is ARB's service techs? Have you tried their customer service number? Maybe you can troubleshoot with them and at least get an idea as to where your problem might be.
I am going to call them before I give up completely. I see in the link waskillywabbit posted there was talk about a 2 year warranty so I will call and see but I think it may be abuse.
Old 06-25-2004, 12:42 PM

Called ARB and told them what happend so they gave me a return authorization # and I sent it back today. They should have it tomorrow...............It will be interesting to see how this turns out.
Old 06-25-2004, 12:51 PM
Banned

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts
Talking Arb

I've heard that ARB has great customer service, so I'll keep my fingers crossed! Don't forget to update us with how things turn out!

From all that I've read the ARB compressor is great just for running the locker(s) but another 100% duty compressor is much better for airing up tires. Seems like it would be more practical to get a portable one, such as a Viair to air up with, and you could share it with others much easier!

Old 06-25-2004, 01:02 PM

Originally Posted by waskillywabbit
I've heard that ARB has great customer service, so I'll keep my fingers crossed! Don't forget to update us with how things turn out!

From all that I've read the ARB compressor is great just for running the locker(s) but another 100% duty compressor is much better for airing up tires. Seems like it would be more practical to get a portable one, such as a Viair to air up with, and you could share it with others much easier!

I will and I agree with you 100%.
Old 06-25-2004, 03:21 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ARB's customer service is TOP NOTCH. They WILL take care of you.
Old 06-25-2004, 04:37 PM
Contributing Member

On the ones I have fried do far and on most of the ones I have seen fried so far, it doesn't actually seize up, instead, the heat from airing tires incinerates the electronics in the compressor and burns them out. I have two of them that turn over, but are fried just the same.

Keep in mind that the ARB compressor has an amazingly low duty cycle, like 15% or something, so you are supposed to run it for no more than eight minutes in an hour or some such. ARB *might* repair it for you once, but if you are using it for airing tires, it WILL fry again...
Old 06-25-2004, 05:07 PM

Originally Posted by WATRD
On the ones I have fried do far and on most of the ones I have seen fried so far, it doesn't actually seize up, instead, the heat from airing tires incinerates the electronics in the compressor and burns them out. I have two of them that turn over, but are fried just the same.

Keep in mind that the ARB compressor has an amazingly low duty cycle, like 15% or something, so you are supposed to run it for no more than eight minutes in an hour or some such. ARB *might* repair it for you once, but if you are using it for airing tires, it WILL fry again...
Welcome back! If they do fix it I will use it sparingly until I get a better setup like a 100% duty cycle Viair 400 and a small tank.
Old 06-25-2004, 05:39 PM
Contributing Member

Thanks! I am only partially back, feedings, changings and trying to catch a few z's is occupying much of my time... hopefully we will find a routine soon and settle in.
Old 06-29-2004, 01:49 PM

Originally Posted by waskillywabbit

I have found out first hand that they do have excellent customer service.

They received my compressor yesterday afternoon, looked at it this morning and determined it wasn't my fault. Tim (ARB tech) said the motor was shorted and my guess is that bumpy ass ride to Mt. Gardner last week. In conclusion they are sending me a new one and I should have it Thursday
Old 06-29-2004, 01:52 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
GOOD DEAL. They are definitely the best out there as far as Customer Service goes...
Old 06-29-2004, 03:23 PM

Originally Posted by WATRD
ARB *might* repair it for you once, but if you are using it for
airing tires, it WILL fry again...
what's funny is ARB sells a kit SPECIFCALLY made for airing up tires...

i wonder if they have a disclaimer on that one... lol...

dont forget to order spare brass fitting and junk from ARB since the blue line uses 5mm stuff and your local home depot carries the SAE stuff...

good luck trying to find metric fitting at 7 o clock in the morning right before your leave for that run... lol....
Old 06-29-2004, 05:03 PM

ARB definitely has top notch customer service. I was there a couple weeks ago to have my rear locker worked on and noticed quite a few compressor tanks being used to hold parts, pens, punches, etc. From what I was told they throw a lot of 'em away because they're junk.
Old 06-29-2004, 11:16 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by ldivinag
what's funny is ARB sells a kit SPECIFCALLY made for airing up tires...

i wonder if they have a disclaimer on that one... lol...
That is true, but at least twice in the compressor owner's manual, it mentions the duty cycle. You can do whatever you want with the air that comes out of the compressor, inflate tires, power lockers, pump up the vinyl girlfriend, whatever, but you need to keep that duty cycle in mind while you are doing it.

If you ask ARB about airing up tires with their compressor, they will tell you that you *can* do that, but it's not really what they had in mind when they designed it.