Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

ARB Air Locker Concern

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2004, 07:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ARB Air Locker Concern

I broke the air line to my front locker this past weekend. It broke right where the bass piece slides in the air line and the air line is fit to the diff. So, tonight I crawl under to see what it will take to fix it and I notice oil (diff oil) all around where it broke. I get it all apart and there is some oil in the line so I cut the bad piece and blah blah blah blah it's fixed. I turn the compressor on and engage the lockers and no leaks

Now for the question, why was there oil in the air line? Should I be concerned? I plan on calling ARB tomorrow to get there input but I thought I would bounce it off you first.
Old 08-03-2004, 04:47 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I don't know about the oil in the line, but while you have them on the phone, get a pair of their HD air lines. They have a bracket that you mount no your frame that the blue line terminates at, then it has a heavy duty rubber line that runs from the bracket to the differential. No more breaks and no bore blue line worries since it no longer has to move w/ the flex.
Old 08-03-2004, 05:10 AM
Contributing Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by GRNTACO
I broke the air line to my front locker this past weekend. It broke right where the bass piece slides in the air line and the air line is fit to the diff. So, tonight I crawl under to see what it will take to fix it and I notice oil (diff oil) all around where it broke. I get it all apart and there is some oil in the line so I cut the bad piece and blah blah blah blah it's fixed. I turn the compressor on and engage the lockers and no leaks

Now for the question, why was there oil in the air line? Should I be concerned? I plan on calling ARB tomorrow to get there input but I thought I would bounce it off you first.
I have noticed a little oil in mine too. I think it is normal, the oil is getting slung around in the diff and when you disengauge the locker the air rushes out the line right? I would make sense that some small amount of oil may escape with the air.
Old 08-03-2004, 08:21 AM

Originally Posted by mt_goat
I have noticed a little oil in mine too. I think it is normal, the oil is getting slung around in the diff and when you disengauge the locker the air rushes out the line right? I would make sense that some small amount of oil may escape with the air.
That does make sense. I am still going to call to see what they say. I thought about pulling the rear to see if it has a trace of oil in it.

bamachem, I was thinking about the HD kit for the front but I don't think there is enough room to fit the right angle up there. There isn't much room between the oil pan and diff. I was thinking about bending some copper tube that form fits that area then compression fit the blue crap to it.
Old 08-03-2004, 08:49 AM
Contributing Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
[QUOTE=GRNTACO]That does make sense. I am still going to call to see what they say. QUOTE]

Please let me know what they say about it. Thanks
Old 08-03-2004, 12:49 PM

I talked to ARB about this concern. His first comment was the diff breather may be plugged or pinched which causes excess pressure in the diff and the pressure tries to exit where it can. Makes some sense because when my lockers are engaged the compressor never turns on..................but wait. If it was plugged and the locker did leak then how would I know?? The pressure couldn't escape therefore the compressor wouldn't turn on. Hmmmmmm, I'm going to take the diff breather off and see if it turns on and acts like there is a leak in there.