Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Aquamist Water Injection. More HP!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2003, 04:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Aquamist Water Injection. More HP!!!

Here's a message from Aquamist, and I'm wondering what the comments are from folks like Gadget, Dr. Z, Cory, DuffDog or any other genius that has had any experience with this system.

My first email to them:

I've been told that your system has the potential to dramatically help a 1998 Toyota 4-Runner with the 3.4L engine and TRD supercharger. Have I been told the correct information?

Their first response:

Yes, I can repeat the recommendation for sure, not for the reason that we are maker of the Aquamist water injection system.
Apart from effectively cooling the inlet charge, water's main
contribution is predominately used for in-cylinder cooling and detonation control. Once the detonation is under control, the boost can then be increased further to achieve more power gain.
In your case, cooling and detonation control is your prime consideration to installing a water injection system.
For more information: www.aquamist.co.uk

My second response:

So, for my 1998 Toyota 4Runner Limited 4x4 with the 3.4 liter V6, what system would you recommend as the best system? Also, with this system, what could I expect to see as far as HP gain, and temperature loss? In addition, could I safely run an 11psi pulley with your system?

Their second response:

System1s is a good start and can be upgraded later if necessary. Water itself will not gain power but by lowering the inlet temperature (approximately 20-30C) it will increase charge density and make available more oxygen to gain power - in cold Winter, no power increase is expected.

The real power comes in when you increase the boost due to the ability of water injection suppressing the onset of detonation at higher boost - make certain that you have enough fuel to feed the power increase. What is your current boost pressure? 11 psi is achievable with water injection without any problem under normal driving conditions.

More information of the working of water injection can be read from: "Aquamist Resources" section on www.aquamist.co.uk please read the FAQ section.

Here's my questions to everyone:

1) If what is stated is true, is 20-30C tempreature drop enough to warrant the use of a smaller pulley?

2) If so, at what point do you know you've exceeded the pulley size? How do you measure the temperature he's talking about?

3) Also, I know most have been running 305cc injectors and Walbro 190 LPH fuel pumps, but with this system could their be an increased need for even larger injectors, such as the 370cc injectors from RC Engineering?

So, would it be possible to run a smaller pulley, larger injectors, same fuel pump (190 LPH), and achieve over 300 RWHP?????

I would love to hear everyone's thoughts on this one!

Chris
Old 01-20-2003, 04:59 AM

I think you should forget about a smaller pulley. Install the system and get it dialed in with their 3D controller. Remember you are running lean right now with a stock fuel system and the water injection will supress it tendency to knock and the stock ignition system can run the ignition more advanced and that will give you more power.

Once you get it installed and tuned correctly, then experiment with a SLIGHTLY smaller pulley. That little M-62 supercharger is overworked on the 3.4 as it is and as you try to increase its output you are only decreasing its efficency. More boost does not mean more power all the time.

Work slow and methodical and in the long run you will have more fun and reduce the chances of wrecking something.

I will tell you this. What ever power gains you get from water injection are not going to be dramatic, but it is good for your engine when done correctly.

Gadget

www.GadgetOnline.com
Old 01-20-2003, 01:42 PM

Thanks Gadget,

If it's not too expensive, I'm going to install it, forget about the pulley altogether, and have it just to help maintain the longevity of my engine. Oh, by the way, I haven't installed anything yet, not even the supercharger. I am hoping to do it all at once. But, I was wondering if I did decide to start installing things, is there a particular order I should go through. I've got the S/C and the Walbro 190 LPH fuel pump, and I'm waiting to decide on the injectors and FTC1-E vs. SMT-6. I'm also waiting to see what you find out on that hill on your trip. Thanks for everything!

Chris