95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Anything Else?

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2003, 03:30 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anything Else?

OK guys!

Finally getting things under control, last time I filled up I was at 11.9 and I am probably going to start getting better than that.

Took my truck in this morning and had a small oil leak fixed (valve cover gasket), timing adjusted, exhaust system checked out (something was leaking in the back, which was causing that bad smell I was having), and had my fuel filter installed.

Seems to be running really well now...

What I have done:

1. Oil/Filter Change
2. Cap and rotor
3. 02 Sensor
4. Injector cleaner/Fuel system cleaner
5. Fuel filter
I'm probably forgetting something but I will add it when I think of it.

I was just making sure that there is nothing else relatively easy/cheap that I can do to finalize my tune-up...thanks for ALL the advice that many of you have given me. Thanks to all the things you have helped me out with my truck is now up-to-date on performance maintenance and regular tune-up items.

Fink

PS: Just tell me anything that YOU would do in addition to all of the stuff I have done.
Old 10-17-2003, 03:45 PM
Contributing Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Clean the throttle body intake
Make sure tires are properly aired up
Change spark plug wires
Change pvc valve[ although not real easy]
Old 10-17-2003, 07:36 PM
Contributing Member

Wires looked ok when I did the cap, they were done about 1,000-1,500 miles ago.

Is the TPS and throttle body essentially the same thing. I had the TPS cleaned today while it was already in the shop...I don't know about the throttle body intake. Would a Chilton's cover that?

Tires should be fine but are easy to check and/or fill.

About the PVC, how much and how long? I don't think that I am qualified to do that myself but I don't know the details of it.

What exactly IS the PVC and where is it and how do I replace it?

Thanks for the reply Paul, I appreciate it!

Fink

ANY MORE SUGGESTIONS/ADDITIONS?!?!?!
Old 10-18-2003, 04:32 PM
Contributing Member

Not sure what TPS is, to access the throttle body all you do is to take the intake hose off the manifold and manually open the throttle. Spray some intake cleaner down it and wipe it off with a lint free rag until it comes out clean.

The pcv valve is located on the right hand valve cover behind all of the small hoses. It is hard to find and even harder to change. The pcv vavle regulates crankcase ventilation during various engine operating conditions. A simple test is to remove the hose from the valve and with the engine at idle a strong hissing noise should be heard, now put your finger over the opening, a strong suction should be felt. If this does not happen, replace. This according to my Chilton manual.

Hope all of this helps.
Old 10-18-2003, 05:03 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think TPS = Throttle Position Sensor
Old 10-18-2003, 07:03 PM

I don't think anyone cares because the last three or four times I've said this, no one said anything, but I am getting about 15 on my 94 3VZE.

17-18 on the highway.

I've only changed the plugs and wires and the fuel filter.

I drive like a granny too.
Old 10-19-2003, 07:15 AM
Contributing Member

King, I care. I get the same milage. Going to change out my O2 sensor and see if that helps. I once got 22 mpg on the highway about 1 year ago. On my trip to Maine I averaged 16mpg. But that was with a/c.
Old 10-19-2003, 07:10 PM
Contributing Member

Sounds like it takes more than I know how to do to even TEST the PCV valve. So what would be the consensus on this? Take it to the shop (dealer or independant?) and have it checked/replaced or just wait until I notice something wrong?

Thanks for the help guys!

Fink
Old 10-19-2003, 08:30 PM

Originally posted by Paul H.
King, I care. I get the same milage. Going to change out my O2 sensor and see if that helps. I once got 22 mpg on the highway about 1 year ago. On my trip to Maine I averaged 16mpg. But that was with a/c.
How much is the 02 sensor for the 3VZE??
Old 10-19-2003, 09:32 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by KING
How much is the 02 sensor for the 3VZE??
You can check online at:

http://www.oxygensensors.com/

They're selling OE sensors at great prices. In my case, I just bought one for about $60 less than a local autoparts store.
Old 10-20-2003, 11:18 AM
Contributing Member

I got one from my buddy that works for Toyota for ~80 bucks...maybe 70 I dunno...somewhere in there. The installation was much easier than I thought it was gonna be.

Anyway...what about the PCV? Necessary at 127k or not? I have NO CLUE if it has been done yet or not so...

Thanks guys!

Fink
Old 10-20-2003, 11:35 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Did you see this list of questions that I posted in your other thread?
  • What are your driving habits like? How heavy is your right foot?
  • Describe your daily drive to/from work. Length, time of day, amount of stop and go traffic...
  • Do you have access to any diag tools that can give you a readout of the votage at the front O2 sensor?
  • How does the engine run in general? Does it bog off the line?
  • What engine is in the truck?
  • What's the best mileage that you've ever gotten? When's the last time that you remember getting something like it?
  • What's the last _major_ powertrain work you had done on the truck? (tranny, CV joints, transfer case, either diff, etc.)
  • Is Fayetteville flat, hilly, mountainous? Any idea of your elevation?
btw, it's kindof an issue with you having a number of threads about the same topic. If you give people multiple spots to post to, then you're less likely to get your situation fixed. I'd suggest _deleting_ your "What's up with this?" thread and just pick one spot to work from.
Old 10-20-2003, 11:36 AM

Originally posted by 4x4Fink
I got one from my buddy that works for Toyota for ~80 bucks...maybe 70 I dunno...somewhere in there. The installation was much easier than I thought it was gonna be.

Anyway...what about the PCV? Necessary at 127k or not? I have NO CLUE if it has been done yet or not so...

Thanks guys!

Fink
Yeah, good question, even though I'm not quite at your mileage yet.

I was going to change the PVC vavle due to disappearing oil, but ever since I filled it up, it hasn't moved from the dipstick, which has been about 600 miles later. But if it's time to do it now, I'm willing to do it now, regardless.

Also, my neighbor (who is a mechanic) told me that a bad PCV valve would not be the reason for mysterious oil loss. Either it's getting in the block or it's leaking it somehow, somewhere.

MIDIWALL --

Good lookin' out on the link........... PROPS!

KING
Old 10-20-2003, 11:48 AM
Contributing Member

Yeah sorry about the multiple posts...

I do have a lead foot, no bogging off the line, no idea of elevation, best mileage I have ever gotten is 11.9, I have only had the truck sine July 14th of this year so not really much experience in getting the best of the best MPG.

I will try and find some time to consolidate posts after class...

My average commute time to/from school is about 10-15 minutes each way.

Overall the truck runs REAL well...the only thing I can see wrong with the performance is a little shaking at idle in Drive...but only the slightest bit. No idle fluctuation or anything.

I think this next fill up I will use Premium gas and see what that does for me.

I guess I may just need to accept the fact that I have a lead foot and I drive it a lot and drive it EVERYWHERE and just need to deal with the low mileage. My main concern at the time as that nothing was seriously wrong with it...the only other thing I can think of would be dirty injectors and maybe a bad PCV valve.

Thanks for ALL the help guys, my truck is running REALLY well now thanks to all your advice and help.

The next two things I need to decide on would be getting the injectors cleaned (worst comes to worst...that can be expensive) and getting a new PCV installed.

When is it SUPPOSED to be done? What mileagle? How much?

Thanks again, sorry for the multiple posts...I will clean it up when the time comes to me.

THANKS GUYS!

Fink
Old 10-22-2003, 07:05 PM

Just got back from CHEVRON -- 16MPG!!

Old 10-22-2003, 07:50 PM
Contributing Member

Lucky bastard!

I wish I could get closer to 16! I think this next time I am going to use Premium...what octane do you use KING?

Anybody have any tips/advice on the PCV valve???

Fink
Old 10-22-2003, 08:05 PM
Contributing Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally posted by Cebby
I think TPS = Throttle Position Sensor
That's right, here is some info on it http://4crawler.cruiserpages.com/4x4...PS/index.shtml
Old 10-24-2003, 10:35 AM

Originally posted by 4x4Fink
I wish I could get closer to 16! I think this next time I am going to use Premium...what octane do you use KING?
I use regular--87.