Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Anyone interested in a 3rdGen rear tire carrier?

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2003, 07:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anyone interested in a 3rdGen rear tire carrier?

Ok hre's the deal, this is my third attempt at posting this so I will make it short and sweet.

My fraternity brother's friend make custom rear tire carriers for jeeps. He said he would take a look at my rig and see what he could do for it. It would pretty much be just like his(with a place for a hi-lift even) except it would cover the little area right behind the mud flaps too.
( jeep ones are just flat)

I asked how much, and he said between $3-400. These are powdercoated, and are pretty tough.

I then said that if it turned out sweet, I think some guys here would want some. They are about 40lbs so shipping should not be too terrible. PLUS he HAS shipped them before to other jeepers.

SOOOOO....anyone else interested?
Old 09-10-2003, 07:45 PM

Re: Anyone interested in a 3rdGen rear tire carrier?

Originally posted by INsr5runner

I asked how much, and he said between $3-400.

SOOOOO....anyone else interested?
Heck for $3 you cant go wrong, any pics?
Old 09-10-2003, 07:55 PM

I will try to get pics of his.
Old 09-10-2003, 07:56 PM
Contributing Member

Need more info on the style...for the sound of it/based on weight, its just going to be a solid bar around the back? I like that lots..the more clearance the better. Those Colorado ones look dam good, but Id rather 4 more inches of clearance for those steep lnclines. But its gotta be able to bend a 4 inch diameter tree
Old 09-10-2003, 07:59 PM

It was pretty much a solid bar. I will try to get pics asap. I have a busy weekend though. They should be pretty sweet. I was just seeing if there were even people who MIGHT be interested in one.
Old 09-10-2003, 08:08 PM
Contributing Member

if i liked the design and the price was right, id be interested.
Old 09-11-2003, 03:59 AM

FWIW... I would be interested, but only if it had a receiver hitch built in, and a place to hang d-rings. It would be nice if it also had a spot to carry a cooler, but that would be optional.
Old 09-11-2003, 04:23 AM

Hmmmm......I dunno..............MAYBE
Old 09-11-2003, 06:08 AM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by jacksonpt
I would be interested, but only if it had a receiver hitch built in, and a place to hang d-rings.
i second this...these two are MUST HAVE

also, the tire carrier must hold at least a 33" tire
Old 09-11-2003, 06:32 AM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by RTdawgs
i second this...these two are MUST HAVE

also, the tire carrier must hold at least a 33" tire

Ditto all that. Keep us posted!
Old 09-11-2003, 06:59 AM
Contributing Member

Re: Anyone interested in a 3rdGen rear tire carrier?

Originally posted by INsr5runner
I think some guys here would want some.
Let me do you a huge favor and tell you how selling things on these boards goes.

1. No one, or maybe one that posted here will buy one. The people that buy the stuff are the lurkers. The ones you never hear from are the big customers.

2. Make one for yourself and "IF" anyone else wants one by looking at yours then he can make more after you collected a depost from the potental customer.

Remember all those drones of people who wanted the shackle hangers and just had to have them, their life would not be complete without them. I just had to go out and stand in 115 degree heat for hours or they would implode with desire.

............well I only made 9 pairs and I still have 2 left, gave 1 away in a trade. I would imagine that Azrain will have plenty of skids left over as well, even though they are all "gone".

Just a bit of advice.
Old 09-11-2003, 07:11 AM
DSP

shiiiiiiit....

should read the thread before posting huh!

Last edited by DSP; 09-11-2003 at 07:15 AM.
Old 09-11-2003, 07:12 AM
Contributing Member

And sometimes it takes months and months and months and months for things to get done that people lose interest and find something else to get instead.

I dont think the guy is going to build 10 rear bumpers assuming that someone is going to buy them. He'll build them one at a time based upon the number of orders. Why build something if you dont know if its sold or even going to sell? For something like a rear bumper, Im sure people would not mind waiting a few weeks for it to be built to their specifications.

Lets see some pics MIKE!
Old 09-11-2003, 07:24 AM
DSP

I am interested...and i can say i haven't left anyone holding the bag on parts they are making for me.

i.e : i'm running stubbs sliderz, sonoran shakles and panhard

but i am thinking that shipping costs may outweigh the objective here for me.

Please keep me on your list for specs and details regarding these tire swings...

I have between 500-1000 budgeted for the right bumber/swing combo.

Let me know.

thanks
-dave

Steve S - just wanted you to know that the shanckle hangers kick ass, 've used them once already this season pulling someone out.

(i guess i'm one of those lurkers that you never hear from)
i don't know how you guys do it day after day on the board...
but i have to say...i'd still be stock without you. Thanks for all the help and tips gentleman. cheers! )

Last edited by DSP; 09-11-2003 at 07:30 AM.
Old 09-11-2003, 10:48 AM
Contributing Member

i was thinking also, will the rear bumper have a place to mount a license plate?
Old 09-11-2003, 11:52 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Do yourselves a favor, if you want one either make it yourself or go to a shop near you.

Shipping a bumper halfway across the US is going to be obscene not to mention it will not be made for your truck. Powder coat staying in tact cross country, not bloody likely!

Mass produced bumpers are fine, but if you want to see some real fit and finish, get a custom one made just for your truck. You have to pay to play.

Just had to add that if someone can make a nice bumper with a swing away carrier for 4 bills, that dude better stop all the rest of the stuff he is doing because that ought to sell like hot cakes. That is better than most off the shelf front bumpers, I even might consider getting one.

Last edited by Flygtenstein; 09-11-2003 at 11:55 AM.
Old 09-11-2003, 01:56 PM
DSP

hey fly..
what did you pay for yours?
or is that bad boy hand made?
dave
Old 09-11-2003, 01:58 PM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by DSP
hey fly..
what did you pay for yours?
or is that bad boy hand made?
dave
Rockware in Colorado Springs made his. I think you wanted a skid plate, did you see they are done. Look in off-road.
Old 09-11-2003, 02:11 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
What Schaef said is true but I'd handle it a different way and as the adage goes, "Money talks, b.s. walks"

You'll have to come up w/ a cost estimate and then ask for a refundable deposit. You will quickly weed out the lurkers from the serious folks rather quickly.

I have an example (somewhat unrelated) but proves what I'm tlaking about re "money talks": we do business with a Korean company who constantly says "we never got it in the mail", so my dad always Fedex'd them a second set of original documents. Most likely it was on their desk but they were too lazy to dig it up (we've been to their offices). So the third time they asked for a document and the cd-rom I said, "We've sent this to you twice already...if you'd like it, please send us your Fedex account number and I'll be more than happy to send it to you".

Guess what? They found it the next day.

Bob
Old 09-11-2003, 02:48 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I paid what my bumper was worth. It took two guys two full days of fitting, cutting and welding to my truck to get the final product. The cost was more than twice that, but worth every penny.

It is from Rockware and I have a stack of their cards in the truck, top notch work. It looks great and takes a beating.

Materials are not the big part of deals like this, it is the time to fab it pretty. All the welds on mine are works of art, the seams on the corners are beautiful and the latch is the best idea I have seen yet. That takes time and practice. It would have been great to make it myself, but the time it would have taken to do the quality of work that was done would have been prohibitive.

I am not trying to cut down ideas, just thought that a dose of reality might make things a little smoother.

Quick Reply: Anyone interested in a 3rdGen rear tire carrier?