Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Anyone have these....?

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2003, 08:52 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anyone have these....?

Custom Cross Drilled Rotors

What do you think? Would these be better than the PowerSlot Rotors sold by PP?? What are the pros and cons.........

I'm lookin for a bit more stopping power from my truck. As my brakes have acquired the squeeeeeeek now, I would like to upgrade my rotors when I install new pads. I've never bought aftermarket brake parts before though (besides to TRD pads, which I thought were a waste of money and I hated the extra brake dust), so any help would be appreciaited. Thanx.
Old 03-20-2003, 07:28 AM

*Bumpiddy, Bump*

I find it hard to believe no one on THIS forum has done brake and rotor upgrades. No one wants to chime in........Pleeeze.
Old 03-20-2003, 07:38 AM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The stock brakes are pretty damn good.
Old 03-20-2003, 07:45 AM
Contributing Member

WATRD aka Rob has some cross-drilled rotors on his Taco from North west Off Road. watrd.com . Like Jason said, plenty of folks seem happy with the factory rotors. One word of caution though, and you may already know this, but there are two different sizes of rotors available. A smaller one for trucks that came with 15" wheels from the factory and a larger one for trucks that came with 16" wheels. That link you provided didn't distinguish b/w the two...

Hope this helps.
Old 03-20-2003, 10:17 AM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I used crossdrilled rotors on my '86 truck and liked the improvement they offered. I have been contemplating some for my '98 but too many mods on the list ahead of them!

Scott
Old 03-20-2003, 10:30 AM

I wanted to put some cross drilled rotors on my car because of the light weight and all. As far as on my runner I really had not even considered it.

I'll have to research it and if I find anything then I will be sure to post it or pm ya.

Helping where I Can,
Outkast`
Old 03-20-2003, 10:35 AM

I have heard many complaints about the stock rotors on the 3rd gens (including mine). Lots of warping/ vibration issues. They have used CAST cross drilled rotors. Be sure to get the CAST ones. Standard cross drilled rotors have been known to crack.

Edit: I just checked out that webpage. I believe that is the place people have bought their rotors from. I seem to remember that if you all, you can get them for quite a bit less than what it says on the webpage. Check over at 4x4wire.com. I think that's where I saw it.

Mike

Last edited by mhawker; 03-20-2003 at 10:38 AM.
Old 03-20-2003, 12:41 PM

Nice. Thanx a lot guys.
Old 03-20-2003, 02:08 PM

Input...

I looked into brakes for my 4Runner as well. From what I found, the cross-drilled rotors weren't that good. They supposedly warp under prolonged hard braking (maybe going down a mountain road?). The slotted rotors seemed to be a little better, although I don't think it's the rotors you should consider first when you want better braking performance. I'd suggest upgrading your brake pads first. Try Gadget's Site (gadgetonline.com) . He has a write-up on his brake modifications. He says the best pads he found were by Performance Friction. You can pick them up at Auto Zone -- the part number for Performance Friction is 5024. Originally, they are supposed to be high performance pads for a land cruiser, but they do fit a 4Runner also he says, and have a noticible difference. They are carbon-fiber based though, so they produce more brake dust than stock brake pads. However, they come with a lifetime guarantee (read about this on Gadget's site though because there are a few stipulations). I haven't done this, but I might sometime soon, or maybe if my brakes need to be replaced anyways I'll upgrade. Hope this helps!

Zach
Old 03-20-2003, 05:58 PM

I've got the NWOR cross drilled rotors on my truck, and I must say that they made a huge improvement in braking. Before I had them I could have the petal all the way to the floor and my 33's wouldn't lock up. After I put them on, I could lock them up real easy. BTW I don't have ABS in the front on my truck.