Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

?? Anyone have problems installing Airaid modular intake tube??

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2012, 07:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy ?? Anyone have problems installing Airaid modular intake tube??

I tried to install an Airaid intake tube in my 96 4Runner Ltd 4wd 3.4L today. It would not fit. Before ordering it, I called Airaid and asked them if the one they advertise for the 95 - 04 T4Rs really fits, since it is listed as the one for the 99 - 04 on the box. I was told "yes", it will fit the 96. It comes with a few connectors (barbed ones), and 3 threaded plugs. None of the 3 protruding connectors on the tube are threaded to accept the plugs. I have a photo of the stock setup, and the Airaid tube. Aside from not fitting easily (if at all), the packing slip is initialed and each item is checked off, like someone really took a look at this kit and decided that all of the necessary parts were accounted for. I plan to call Airaid on Monday and ask them to share the secret of the install for my T4R. At least while I had the stock setup off, I was able to clean my throttle body and MAF sensor, so it wasn't a total loss. We'll see how the return/refund goes. Anyone have the secret formula for installing this item so I can use it and not send it back? Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails ?? Anyone have problems installing Airaid modular intake tube??-airaid-c03.jpg   ?? Anyone have problems installing Airaid modular intake tube??-airaid-c04.jpg  
Attached Images  
Old 08-04-2012, 08:43 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I've had mine on for 5 years, what's your issue?
Old 08-04-2012, 09:19 PM

The protruding connection points (1 upper left and 2 lower right) do not fit anything that's connected to the stock tube. For example, the upper right spot should accomodate something that looks like it may be a PCV valve, but the valve and its hose are larger than the connection point on the new tube. There are also two existing lines going to the silencer box mid length on the right side of the stock tube. Those lines do not fit on the two lower right connection points on the Airaid tube. Yours is a 98, and mine is a 96. Not sure how much of a difference there is. Also, the packing slip says that a 1/2" and a 1/4" tube are supposed to be included; but they were not. The threaded plugs are also a mystery. None of the connecting points on the new tube are threaded. Not sure where those plugs and the barbed connectors (which also don't fit in any of the connection points) are supposed to go. Did your tube come with threaded connectors? Did you use any of the connectors supplied with the tube?
Old 08-05-2012, 08:54 AM

Honestly I can't remember what was included when I installed it. The picture I posted is of my setup, I don't have access to it right now to tell you how it's connected or to give you additional pics, maybe tomorrow at work I can snap a few more pics so you can see how everything is attached on my '98. In the pic above and from what I can remember, I think the lower left opening on the tube (closest to the MAF) has a threaded plastic plug since there was nothing that needed to go there. The next one up looks like it goes somewhere under the upper intake plenum near the throttle cables. I don't think I had more than about 10 minutes into the install so maybe you either got something different or they left some pieces out of the box. I'll take some more pics tomorrow and give you more info on how mine is set up to compare with what you got. I'd definitely get in touch with whomever you bought your intake from and let them know your problems and possibly get a new one on the way that will work for you.
Old 08-05-2012, 10:09 AM

thanks for the information and support. I sent an email to Airaid explaining the problem, and I will call them tomorrow. I'm sure it will get figured out somehow. They advertise a "no hassle warranty", and so I am not worried about it, but I am taking off on a road trip on 9/3 and I sure would like to begin getting any benefits it has to offer while on my trip. Since you have had your for 5 years, what positive difference, if any, did it make for you?
Old 08-05-2012, 10:38 AM

Originally Posted by trekerjohn
Since you have had your for 5 years, what positive difference, if any, did it make for you?
My 4runner is pretty gutless as far as performance, after trying all kinds of things just short of slapping the supercharger on it I've pretty much given up on it being faster or being able to chirp at all. I've driven other 3rd gens with the 3.4 and they are much more peppy than mine. However, in the 9 years I've owned it, it's been totally reliable and even with a lift and bigger tires I'm still getting 16 or 17mpg so I can't complain. Is some of the increased MPG from the airraid? No clue.
Old 08-05-2012, 11:41 AM

Originally Posted by pattycakes77
My 4runner is pretty gutless as far as performance.
Since this is my "play" and road trip rig, and not my DD, I will take reliable over performance any day. The only reason I wanted to switch out the stock intake for the Airaid is that the stock setup just looks very complicated, as far as "airflow" goes. But I'm sure the techs who designed it had good reasons (except for California emissions regulations) to do it that way. Some say that they get no benefit in performance and MPG; others say they do. It sure looks cleaner; and if it's not a negative, I'm for it. I will have to see about the noise. I will report when I know more.
Old 08-05-2012, 01:50 PM

I think the reasoning for a clean tube design is for airflow getting to the engine quicker and less obstructed. Some say this gives a little more throttle response and others like that it has a little more growl and "whoosh!". All the "complicated" looking things on the stock tube are resonators designed to quiet the intake down for the people who are scared of engine noise and would otherwise think there is a problem with their vehicle.

I think I remember hearing a little more noise on hard acceleration after the airaid was installed but not much, and what I did hear didn't bother me at all.
Old 08-05-2012, 07:31 PM

Smile

Checked out your build thread. Looks like you have worked on your Runner steadily since 2005. That is a very impressive list of the work you have done on your rig. It is beautiful indeed. You are my new 4Runner idol. My next projects are to install Bils struts and shocks with OME 881s and 890s and a B&M trans cooler before my next trip in September. The help and support of the members on this forum is really motivating. Thanks.
Old 08-07-2012, 05:54 PM

Oh do yourself some more strolling through YT and some of the other Toyota and 4runner boards and my 4runner will not even register on your radar. Plenty of other more fantastic 4runners out there to salivate over. Yep, lots of good info on here and plenty of good people too. Good luck on the other mods too. I haven't had a chance to check my intake yet though, sorry no help as of tonight. Any word from Airaid?
Old 08-07-2012, 06:26 PM

Originally Posted by pattycakes77
I haven't had a chance to check my intake yet though, sorry no help as of tonight. Any word from Airaid?
You are too humble. Your Runner is awesome. Yes. I spoke with a customer service rep and they acknowledged that the unit they sent me is defective (the connectors are not threaded). They are sending a new one with a return label for the old one. Sounds good so far. We shall see if the new tube makes any positive difference.
Old 08-10-2012, 08:42 PM

I finally gave up on Airaid

They replaced my defective unit but the new unit does not fit right. The angle of the tube is too large and it doesn't line up with the throttle body if it is attached to the MAFsensor. Oh well. I tried. Thanks for the help. My stock setup is back on. I got my new Bils 4600s w/ OME 881s on the front today. Also got most of my B&M 70268 install done. Still have to get the new hoses hooked up to the steel lines from the tranny. I'm having a heck of a time getting the return line off. Clamping the new lines in there should be a real nail biter. Tomorrow my Runner gets new Bils 4600s and OME 890s on the back. Can't wait to tear into those rears.