Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Any ways to repair an A/C line with a small crack in it?

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2011, 12:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Any ways to repair an A/C line with a small crack in it?

Saw there was a small oil spot under the 4runner today, upon further investigation I found there is a small crack in the small aluminum A/C line located just behind the passenger side headlight that dripped out a little bit of a/c oil. Does anyone know the easiest way to repair this? The crack is located in a straight section of the tubing, but is kind of hard to get to so it may be difficult to replace just that section of the line. I can post pictures if necessary.

On a side note, I'm almost wondering if my trans cooler lines (that run right next to it) may have caused this to fail due to the heat being near the a/c lines? Just random thinking....

Last edited by SRT4runner; 04-29-2011 at 12:49 PM.
Old 04-29-2011, 12:52 PM

If it's the high pressure line then , uhh, repairing it could be sketchy. Never have repaired a hp line. I have seen the suction line repaired with JB weld.
JB Weld and duct tape, God's gift to the offroader !
Old 04-29-2011, 01:44 PM

jb weld and a little jb putty should do the trick along with a clamp let set over night should hold i did it to my jettas turbo been holding for 20,000 miles now so just clean sand goop then putty and let dry and then clamp it down to put a little extra force on it should hold
Old 04-29-2011, 02:12 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
tig weld it!
Old 04-29-2011, 02:46 PM

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Does your A/C still work at all? If you leaked out enough refrigerant to cause an oil spot, the A/C will be non-functional. Are you sure the oil you found didn't come from somewhere else?

If it is the high pressure line (usually smaller diameter than the low pressure lines), you're probably SOL on a "bandaid" type repair - the high pressure side normally sees over 200 psi and can spike above 300 psi on a hot day. From where you say it is, it's probably a high pressure line.
Old 05-01-2011, 02:54 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Doubt JB weld will last long. That tube goes through heat/cool cycle all the time the A/C is on. From the DIY department, you might be able to cut along the crack and put a flare fitting in there. Tack welding it is the best of course.
Old 05-01-2011, 10:44 PM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

If you like your Ac as much as I do .

Don`t mess around just put a new line on. The system is all ready empty if the line is indeed cracked.
Old 05-02-2011, 12:06 PM

If the line is removable, get it replaced.
Old 05-02-2011, 12:14 PM

Make sure its actually your AC line. If your AC works, its not the line. If it doesn't, it could be the line.

Originally Posted by profuse007
If the line is removable, get it replaced.
Replace the line as profuse007 said. Not worth it blowing and getting your AC recharged multiple times.

I'm not sure about the late 90's models specifically but AC lines in general are threaded the ends and you should just be able to detach it at both ends and replace. Of course, being a "newer" vehicle, there's probably a ton of other crap covering the AC lines...
Old 05-02-2011, 09:02 PM

Ok Update time, WITH PICS!

Picture time:

here's a diagram of the line where the pinhole leak is located
Name:  4runnerac.png
Views: 7607
Size:  170.8 KB

Here's the front of the truck. The line that is leaking is circled.
Name:  P1010343.jpg
Views: 7272
Size:  136.6 KB

Here's the line inside the just inside the engine bay. This view is looking straight up from underneath the truck. The crack is circled.
Name:  P1010332.jpg
Views: 7090
Size:  62.9 KB

So the leak is like the size of a pinhole and the oil from the line will seep out of the hole VERY slowly, even when the motor is turned off (it will produce about a small drop every hour or so). The "Oil" that leaks out of it is clear, and feels like oil. My A/C still works perfectly and blows ice cold. When I ran the motor with the A/C on full blast, the leak did not get any worse and I did not feel any kind of pressure coming out of the hole. Does anyone know what this line does exactly? It doesn't seem to be part of the high pressure line. Is there an easy fix for this? I'm tempted to try epoxy due to the VERY slow nature of this leak.

Last edited by SRT4runner; 05-02-2011 at 09:05 PM.
Old 05-02-2011, 09:27 PM

after seeing pics i can see why u dont want to replace, but if u can i would look around and see if u can find a replacement for it, to weld the pipe is going to be hard, i would see if u can find someone that is parting one out and get the pipe from them...
Old 05-02-2011, 10:40 PM

check with a good ac shop that has a high frequency tig welder. I bet they wouldn't charge no more than $20.00 to weld it, but they will probally want to recharge the unit
Old 05-03-2011, 03:15 PM

UPDATE

I found the part (# 8871635390 ) which retails for $44. I called the dealership and apparently it costs around $500 to install the tube and recharge the system. I've never worked on an A/C system before, does it require any special tools? I may try calling an AC shop in the area and get a quote because $500 seems like a lot of money for a crack in a pipe.
Old 05-03-2011, 05:30 PM

yes it does take some special tools like a vacuum pump. a/c shops don't remind answering questions normally
Old 05-04-2011, 07:48 AM

UPDATE:
So I tried to epoxy the leak and it failed. The drip was still there after drying overnight, oh well it was worth to try for $5.

I removed the line which was super easy, it took a screw driver to remove the plastic clip on the one end and a socket to remove a bolt from the other. When I removed it, all the freon emptied out of the system (by emptied, I mean shot out all over the place cause it was still pressurized! safety glasses are my friend). Funny how the line was able to leak out oil, but it was still pressurized???? Anyways, I ordered all the parts online and will be waiting for them to come in the mail, hopefully by next week at the latest. I'm hoping this works out, then I would just have to pay for the A/C to get recharged which shouldn't cost too much.

Last edited by SRT4runner; 05-04-2011 at 07:50 AM.
Old 05-04-2011, 10:23 AM

Putting a flare coupling would be a few $, and just as good as a new tube.

Don't forget to tape the holes in your open system. It's kind of like open heart surgery, you don't want anything getting in there.
And it won't be a recharge service. You'll need to have it vacuumed, and refrigerant oil/refilled. This is $100+.

Last edited by DailyDrive; 05-04-2011 at 10:25 AM.
Old 05-04-2011, 12:00 PM

If you can spare an extra $40 (Toyota list price), I'd get a new receiver as well. Depending on how long the hole has been there, who knows how much garbage is in it now.

A good AC indy shop for everything should be $250~$300 tops I would think.
Old 05-07-2011, 11:56 PM

UPDATE:

Everything is now fixed. If you learn 1 thing from my experience it should be REPLACE THE RECEIVER whenever the A/C system has been discharged and exposed to the air. Inside the receiver is silca gel that absorbs moisture and contaminates in the system. When the A/C system is exposed to air, it can get contaminates into the system (including moisture) that can damage the system. The receiver is like a filter for these contaminates and should be replaced and it is cheap insurance, the part can be found for ~$30 and takes 1 minute to install. It is well worth it to buy this part than to pay for the cost to refill the system only to find out the receiver should have been replaced before it was filled. This also helps keep excess wear and tear off other components in the system.

Other things learned:
Wear safety glasses! I had a leak in the system and it was still pressurized somehow.
Epoxy doesn't work on high pressure A/C lines.

I replaced the line, receiver, and new rubber O-rings where the connections were made. Make sure to get new O-rings, they are cheap insurance that a new leak won't occur. These parts cost me $75 total and took an hour of my time to put in. I was charged $190 to refill the system, which included a dye that is used to check for any future leaks if they occur. $265 compared to $500+ the dealer originally wanted, saving money and learning something FTW!

So that was my A/C adventure for the week. Hopefully someone else can learn something from my experience.
Old 05-08-2011, 06:38 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
so is it nice and cold?
Old 05-08-2011, 09:21 AM

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by SRT4runner
UPDATE:
Wear safety glasses! I had a leak in the system and it was still pressurized somehow.
Yes, you don't want to get frost bite on your eyeball from escaping freon

from the Dupont MSDS:
HUMAN HEALTH EFFECTS:
Human health effects of overexposure by skin contact with
the liquid may include frostbite or mild skin irritation
with discomfort. "FREON" 12 has been infrequently
associated with skin sensitization in humans. Eye contact
with the liquid or high vapor concentrations may include eye
irritation with discomfort, tearing, or blurring of vision.
Inhalation may include nonspecific discomfort, such as
nausea, headache, or weakness; or temporary nervous system
depression with anesthetic effects such as dizziness,
headache, confusion, incoordination, and loss of
consciousness.

Higher exposures (>20%) may lead to temporary lung
irritation effects with cough, discomfort, difficulty
breathing, or shortness of breath; temporary alteration of
the heart's electrical activity with irregular pulse,
palpitations, or inadequate circulation; abnormal kidney
function as detected by laboratory tests; or fatality from
gross overexposure.

Individuals with preexisting diseases of the central nervous
system, cardiovascular system, lungs or kidneys may have
increased susceptibility to the toxicity of excessive
exposures.

Last edited by corax; 05-08-2011 at 09:23 AM.