Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Any thoughts on sunroof not opening and now linking (video).

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2010, 09:13 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Any thoughts on sunroof not opening and now linking (video).

So I'm in Myrtle Beach and its been raining non stop for 2 days. I got outside this morning and my sunroof and the slide sun cover are both shut. But my center console is filled with water. Its not a bad leak judging by how much is in the console and how much we've gotten. Its a steady drip. On top of the truck where I show the crack it looks like there should be some sort of fitting or plastic collar there and theres not one. My sunroof has never worked and I shot a quick video to show the problem areas as well as the broken sunroof. Any advice is greatly appreciated on how I can seal the leak and still be able to use the sunroof once I get it fixed. I'm thinking a beam of sillicon will get it done but I'd like some "been there, done that" first. Oh you may need to turn up the volume to hear the sunroof motor issue towards the end.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AQ27EZCIGtc

Last edited by jacumja; 09-27-2010 at 09:15 AM.
Old 09-27-2010, 10:29 AM

I had the same leaking problem, and I solved it by sealing the outside of the sunroof glass with a bead of silicone.
I tried the superglue fix reported by others and it did not work for me. It worked for a few weeks and then began leaking again.
The entire black plastic surround on the roof glass itself was not sealing properly to the glass. I just ran a very small bead around the entire glass panel and also up the little crack that you show in the video.
Any attempts to seal the inside of the moonroof will just trap water inside the leaky parts. You have to seal it from the outside.
It is normal for water to leak around the moonroof panel, between the moonroof assembly and the roof of the truck. That water is supposed to drain via channels to the drains on the front corners leading down your A-pillars. Make sure your drains are clear.

Last edited by SkidPalace; 09-30-2010 at 04:47 AM.
Old 09-27-2010, 01:36 PM

Any rec's on sillicone?
Old 09-27-2010, 08:05 PM
Contributing Member

I had the same leak as you and superglue on the top and bottom of that split that you pointed out solved it 100%. As for the sunroof, can you tilt the glass up? If so just check the paneling behind to see if anything is in the tracks
Old 09-29-2010, 07:44 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
check your drains first-before you do any superglue or silicone. Don't cause a hole in the drains, don't force it just push any blockage down the pillars.

I can't tell what you are describing as it doesn't work-I think I see the sunroof already open but are you saying it neither tilts up at the back or opens? Watching the video again that is real helpful.
Old 09-30-2010, 04:51 AM

Originally Posted by jacumja
Any rec's on sillicone?
Not really, I just used a standard tube of all-purpose silicone in a small hand sized tube. I liked that size since it was easier to finesse vs a large caulk gun sized tube. It also came with a long tip that allowed a fine bead to be laid down.
Old 09-30-2010, 05:19 AM

I just realized you cannot even open the roof to check for clogged drains.
Here is a diagram of what I sealed. This was sketched on your video stopped at 38 seconds.

The yellow line is the "Superglue fix" People just run a small line of superglue up the crack of the glass surround. I tried that, but it began leaking again after a while.
The real issue to me, was that the entire plastic piece that caused that gap was shrinking and warping. That was allowing water to penetrate all around the glass, not just at the split. Therefore, I ran a bead of silicone all the way around the glass in the areas marked in red, as well as up the gap in yellow.
The green line is the gap between the rubber roof panel surround and the roof. Water is expected to leak past that "seal". That is the water that should be draining down your pillar drains.
However, based on the size of the gap you have, there is no question where your water is coming from.

Last edited by SkidPalace; 09-30-2010 at 05:21 AM.
Old 09-30-2010, 09:45 AM

Thanks for all the input guys, Its still raining so I can't seal anything up. I'd say we've got 8 inches in 3 days easy. Last night was like a mini huricaine. The moonroof or sun roof (don't know the diff.) will not budge or open when I hit the button at all. On top of that I put a piece of duct tape over the crack on the top and on the crack inside. It made it worse. Instead of dripping into the cup holder. My headliner is soaked the length of the roof where the visors fold up. I've even got water in the plastic piece you remove to change the map lights. AAAARRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGHHHHH.
I'm going to silicone those crack's now that the rain has let up and it will dry. Any ideas on how to fix the water all over other than a hair dryer?
Old 09-30-2010, 09:56 AM

So you rec. running a sillicone beam all the way around the rubber gasket in red, not just in the problem area, makes sense cuz water will always find a new way in.
Old 10-01-2010, 04:38 AM

My sunroof occasionally does not open, very similar to your condition. I have figured out that it is caused by tree sap (or stupid white flies) that makes the seal super sticky! Apparently the motor does not have enough power to brake the seal loose. Maybe try going around the exterior of the sunroof with some silicone spray or wd40. Good luck!
Old 10-04-2010, 07:16 PM

Weather straightened up and I had a day of sun to seal it. Seems to have worked fine. Now to figure out the mystery of the sunroof.