Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

ANy news on the 04 Runners ?

Old 06-06-2003, 11:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question ANy news on the 04 Runners ?

I was just wondering if anyone had info on the 04 Runners if any changes are being made like the eggsmell or any other options beside the colour cladding option that is available.
If anyone has any info that be great as if no extreme changes are made I will get a 03 when 04 come out as they will be alot cheaper!

Thanks alot!!
Old 06-06-2003, 11:58 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Where you bin hiding their are tons of changes that are tacking place:pat:
Old 06-09-2003, 06:12 AM

What kind of changes?
Old 06-09-2003, 06:35 AM

Where you bin hiding their are tons of changes that are tacking place
Now Edge, that just isn't nice...

Davey and Liberator, since the 4Runner is essentially a brand new vehicle as of this year, there will be VERY few changes for 2004. The only thing I have heard is that the un-colored cladding will be eliminated. So I wouldn't get my hopes up for any drastic changes next year.

Steve
Old 06-09-2003, 07:05 AM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I heard that a removable third row seat will be available, and the 5A/T will make it's way into the V-6 lineup eventually (meaning maybe not in '04, but within our lifetimes).

Last edited by BT17R; 06-09-2003 at 07:06 AM.
Old 06-09-2003, 08:04 AM

A dealer over on Tundra Solutions said there are no, zero, changes on the '04... The cladding change was made mid-production. I have already seen a bunch of SR5s driving around that have the new cladding.
Old 06-09-2003, 09:26 AM

Can you still get the cladding on the 04 or did they just whipe that out alltogether. Hey Edge what changes for the 04's did you hear that the rest of us are in the dark about.
Oh when do the 04's hit the dealers? If anyone knows.
Old 06-09-2003, 09:29 AM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by JGage
A dealer over on Tundra Solutions said there are no, zero, changes on the '04... The cladding change was made mid-production. I have already seen a bunch of SR5s driving around that have the new cladding.
it has been my experience that dealers and their salesman don't know squat unless they have the literature right in their hands as they are waving them as if attempting a jedi mind trick to get you to buy a car. I have never been on a lot where these little critters actually could tell me how anything besides the cig lighter and the headlights work. not knocking you, I'm just saying that I wouldn't believe what this dude says because he wants you to buy a vehicle today, not wait a year for better options, you may go to another dealer by then. I just bought my wife an '03 about a month ago, what is the difference in the cladding? I wonder whether she got the new style or the old style. you can tell I focus 99% of my thoughts on my 3rd gen.
Old 06-09-2003, 09:46 AM
Contributing Member

'04

Its all speculative, why would there be major changes in the '04? The '03 was just released. Rumors are about as good as toilet paper.
Old 06-09-2003, 09:53 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Guys,

As others have said, all speculation. I will say however, that look at the past history of 4runners: how many MAJOR changes have been made within a 4runner generation? I highly doubt that there will be major mechanical or cosmetic changes but again, thats speculation.

Bob
Old 06-09-2003, 09:55 AM

Keisur,

The difference in the cladding deals with the popular appearance package/Limited version which is painted to match the rest of the vehicle. From the rumors I have heard, the non-painted, grey, cladding will be done away with completely. But remember, those are just rumors...

Steve
Old 06-09-2003, 10:58 AM

lefty you have a prototype lift on your 03 4runner and we dont get any pictures. all i want to do is see the truck raised. Im not interested in the specifics since im going to assume you cant show them.

give us pictures!!
Old 06-09-2003, 02:24 PM

Impulsebrklyn, I've got all kinds of pix, but no way to post them so everyone can view them. If anyone has a suggestion as to where I can post a couple pix that everyone can see, lemme know !

p.s. - I'm headed over to azrain's tonight to get fit up for a prototype skid plate, too !

Steve
Old 06-09-2003, 02:47 PM

www.montypics.com
Old 06-10-2003, 06:56 AM

Sweet ! Thanks Vato !

OK guys, you wanted some pix, here ya go.

Before the lift, completely stock:

After the lift, otherwise stock:

..And finally, the lifted truck doing something that popular opinion would have you believe is impossible on a 4th Gen :

Hope this will do for now.... I still need to upload the rest of my pix...

Steve
Old 06-10-2003, 07:06 AM
Contributing Member

what kind of lift and how much it give you? hows the ride, etc? if youve already posted this and ive missed it, sorry, ill search.
Old 06-10-2003, 07:23 AM
Contributing Member

Looks good, can you go up a tire size with that lift?
Old 06-10-2003, 07:47 AM
Contributing Member

lefty has the first production of Daystar's 2" spacers. Those are the test production model and will not be on sale. Daystar will have 2.5" or 3" (I think, right steve?) instead of the 2" that steve has on his 4runner. (Ride quality shouldn't change since it's only a spacer installation).

They should be on sale soon (and I mean real soon). Expect them to be on the shelves around july/aug.

This is the only confirmed manufacturer that has a test model on a test vehicle. (gj lefty!). There are other mfg's out working hard to get something setup but no confirmations on any mfg of when it will be done.

SAW is apparently testing on a 4runner (heresay).
OME - well since Prado's spec is the same they'll have something.
Revtek - same as Daystar - should have something soon. (prob same time as Daystar).
Cornfed (I think they have the best spacers! hehe) - dunno but I did email them and they said they're working on it.
King - well I've called them to use my 4runner as a test vehicle and they said okay but nothing since March (grrrr...)
Downey - They've started to work on my 4runner so that good news but don't expect anything yet. They'll have the std coil/shock and I hope they'll have some coilovers too!

Did I miss anything else? I'm sure but I've only checked up on those mfg's so far. I'm sure we'll start seeing some quality products roll out now that the 03's been out for 9 months now..

Lance
Old 06-10-2003, 08:34 AM

Hmmm.... GT about covered it ! Of course, Daystar is doing a wonderful job of dragging their feet on getting the production version of the lift going. I keep getting the "a couple more weeks" response and it's been over 3 months since I got the prototype on. In any case, I do like the qualities of the lift, ride quality is barely stiffer than stock. The truck does tip more when cornering, but that is what you get for lifting it.

Regarding tires, I'm actually gonna try moving up 2 tire sizes to 285s (or 33's for those flotation people) once the production lift is on. I spent some quality time at azrain's house last night and after some measuring, we both felt that 285s should fit, with a bit of rubbing. (I tried to talk him into a swap for his 285 MT/Rs but that conversation ended quickly).

Finally, for those of us that actually will take our 4th Gens off-road, I'm working with azrain to develop a skid plate for our trucks. Looking at his work on the 3rd Gen skid plates, these will be a requirement for anyone planning to truly do some wheeling. Dang, I get goose bumps just thinking of it !

Steve
Old 06-10-2003, 11:21 AM

Regarding SAW's for 4th gen.

I just spoke to Sway-a-way about 30 mins ago.

They are working to complete the rear spacer and shock kit for the REAR of a 3rd gen but no work as yet on 4th gen.

As to ride quality with spacers, if they work like the 3rd gen , you are gonna have the same issues as a 3rd gen.

Is 2.5" too much for the CV joints (can't recall, do the front driveshafts spin all the time ?)

Also, from personal experience with Cornfeds in front, you replace the top bearing of the shock to install spacers so some additional compression of the spring is required.

Hence, less travel and less range to the spring.

In reality, a cornfed /billy combo with stock springs felt a lot firmer than a billy with a stock spring...

David

Plus, I hate fricken spring compressors :pat:

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: ANy news on the 04 Runners ?