Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Any maintenance while doing lift?

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2005, 11:58 AM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Any maintenance while doing lift?

So I should finally be getting my lift together (the final pieces, are, I believe, on their way from GA), and its getting warmer so it might even go on. I'm wondering if there's anything I should check out/replace in the front while I have things apart. Any bushings or anything that are more easily accessible that I'll be glad i reaplaced while I was in there?

thanks,
Ian

Last edited by ianshoots; 02-22-2005 at 11:59 AM.
Old 02-22-2005, 12:31 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
sway bar bushings (If your still running sway bars)

Heck Id buy a complete Poly front end bushing kit off ebay
Old 02-22-2005, 12:33 PM
Contributing Member

For the rear anyway:
Grease the leafs in the back. I didn't and the squeaking I was hearing only got worse until I went back and did that.

You may want to consider doing the brake line extension if you haven't already:
http://www.4x4wire.com/toyota/minute...oma_brakehose/

Another thing to look at would be the tubing length for the extended rear diff mod if you've done that already. If you haven't it's a good thing to take care of.

For the front:
Depending on how much lift you're putting in check out the top of the tower and see if it comes in contact with the body. I had 3 days of terrible squeaking and grinding until I figured it out.

...and on a side note, you'll find that reaching that oil filter is a little easier.
Old 02-22-2005, 02:35 PM
Contributing Member

Tacoma Dude: what part of the leaves am I greasing? the eyes at the ends? Am I taking apart the leaf pack somehow and actually putting in betwixt the leaves (I doubt it)?
the uture bodylift is supposed to be the super save in terms of reaching the oil filter, yeah?
(BTW, hows that knife? Comfortable to carry isn;t it?)

4Hummer: The only bushings on the sway-bat are at the ends, right? If I'm gonna slip in discos then I wouldn't sweat that would I? As for the front end bushing kit, do they generally come with some sort of diagram for fools like me so I don't sit there going "man, what do i do with all these round rubber thingies?"

Thanks guys.
Old 02-22-2005, 02:47 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by ianshoots
Tacoma Dude: what part of the leaves am I greasing? the eyes at the ends? Am I taking apart the leaf pack somehow and actually putting in betwixt the leaves (I doubt it)?
the uture bodylift is supposed to be the super save in terms of reaching the oil filter, yeah?
(BTW, hows that knife? Comfortable to carry isn;t it?)
I'm assuming you got an AAL... if you aren't lifting the rear or got a new leaf pack this might not be a concern.
If you did get an AAL be sure to grease it when you put it in, especially at the ends where it will be in contact with the OEM.

I'm not sure if you should put grease everywhere but after my lift I was squeaking something awful until I got underneath and liberally smeared grease in the cracks between the leafs.

I put in a whopping 3" in the front end and it has made a world of difference in getting enough leverage to pull out the filter. Made it a hell of a lot easier for me but I have somewhat slim arms - I'm not as beefy and buff as some

As for the Delica - I have it in my pocket now
I used to carry around my Benchmade Mini-Stryker all the time but I switch around now. The stainless handle is cool
Old 02-22-2005, 03:10 PM

4Hummer: The only bushings on the sway-bat are at the ends, right? If I'm gonna slip in discos then I wouldn't sweat that would I? As for the front end bushing kit, do they generally come with some sort of diagram for fools like me so I don't sit there going "man, what do i do with all these round rubber thingies?"
No, there's two other bushings besides the ones on the ends. Here's a link to a write-up on 'em...linky. (Notice there's a link at the top of that page for a .pdf of the installation instructions that came with the bushings)

Here's the write-up on the steering rack bushings...linky. (.pdf instructions at top again)

Energy Suspension has a master kit available that you may want to check into... here. It's toward the bottom, highlighted in blue -- the first one listed.
Old 02-22-2005, 08:35 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Tacoma Dude
I'm assuming you got an AAL... if you aren't lifting the rear or got a new leaf pack this might not be a concern.
If you did get an AAL be sure to grease it when you put it in, especially at the ends where it will be in contact with the OEM.
A-ha, I'm putting in a whole new set of springs since I have a broken leaf on one side (and 170k on both....) so i guess its a non-issue.

Originally Posted by TacomaDude
As for the Delica - I have it in my pocket now
I used to carry around my Benchmade Mini-Stryker all the time but I switch around now. The stainless handle is cool
I alternate the Delica and a Benchmade myself (The Benchmade has to go back pocket, just doesn't ride right in front). Glad you like it.

Last edited by ianshoots; 02-22-2005 at 08:36 PM.
Old 02-22-2005, 08:46 PM
Contributing Member

Synovus- quick dumb question; best retailer to score energy suspension bushings from? I will now proceed to look for myself, just wanted to ask.
Old 02-22-2005, 09:26 PM

Synovus- quick dumb question; best retailer to score energy suspension bushings from? I will now proceed to look for myself, just wanted to ask.
Are you wanting the master kit or particular bushing sets?
Old 02-22-2005, 09:46 PM

Suspension.com has the master kits for $164, but if you only want the front rack & pinion bushings and sway bar bushings, it'd be cheaper to order 'em separately. The rack bushings are $14 and the sway bar's are $13. If you're going to be putting together new coilover assemblies via new coils and shocks, you might as well splurge for the front coil spring isolators for $15.

Are you doing a body lift? If so, you may want to more seriously consider the master kit, because it includes new body mount bushings which would be good to replace while you're there doing the body lift anyway.
Old 02-22-2005, 10:13 PM
Contributing Member

Suspension.com sounds like the way to go as I do have a BL in mind for the future.
$164 is a decent price too, I had only found them for $204 at this point.

Thanks,
Ian