Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Any last minute thoughts on exhaust?

Old 05-20-2004, 12:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Any last minute thoughts on exhaust?

I'm taking my runner in monday to get an 18" magnaflow muffler installed. it's the aluminum one (stainless is too expensive and I don't care what it looks like) with 2.25 pipes i believe.

Anyway, anyone with exhaust experience, from prices you got yours for, installation, and how please you are, POST. I'd like to make sure there aren't any problems before I dump more money into such a high mileage truck.
Old 05-20-2004, 12:32 PM
Contributing Member

$35 for install on my rig. Don't pay much more than that.
Old 05-20-2004, 12:33 PM

Yeah here is a tip...get a magnaflow exaust...cheaper and sounds better. Trust me I've had em both on my 97 Runner. Magnaflow works better.
Old 05-20-2004, 12:42 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by alltheway
Yeah here is a tip...get a magnaflow exaust...cheaper and sounds better. Trust me I've had em both on my 97 Runner. Magnaflow works better.
Who are you directing this to?

He is getting a Magnaflow...

Please explain.
Old 05-20-2004, 01:15 PM

Hey, I was wondering, when I drive next to a wall and have the windows open, it sounds pretty rough (not a leak) when on the pedal and @ 1700rpm or so. Let off the pedal and its quiet. It doesn't pur like a new car. How long do factory mufflers usually last?
Old 05-20-2004, 01:32 PM
Contributing Member

I got a magnaflow with install for $150 a year ago. I think that was $50 labor.
Old 05-20-2004, 01:46 PM

Sorry my bad. I thought I read that he was getting a flowmaster. My bad. Way to much green smoke to the head.
Old 05-20-2004, 04:39 PM

Sorry my bad. I thought I read that he was getting a flowmaster. My bad. Way to much green smoke to the head.
haha i hear you. Yeah, the guy tried his best to sell me on a flowmaster but they're just too loud and too ricey. Then he tried to get me to buy the stainless 14" but again, to loud and stainless is too expensive. I just told him the PN (which is 11255 for 18" aluminum 2.25") and he said he'll have it by monday. Hopefully I"ll get out of there under 140, as the muffler itself shouldn't cost more than 60 for him, and I want to get a tip too.

QUESTION:

As you can tell I am new to this stuff.. Okay, so I go in and tell him i want a new magnaflow muffler. Do they replace ANY piping, or do they just cut the muffler and weld the old tailpipe to it? because my tailpipe is hideous, so is new pipe extra or is it always just included? Thanks, I'm an exhaust newb.
Old 05-20-2004, 07:03 PM

bump... really want above question answered, cause I have no clue
Old 05-20-2004, 07:07 PM
Contributing Member

Is a muffler hard to install or something? I have one coming next week, was planning on putting it in myself.
Old 05-20-2004, 07:24 PM

Opinions will vary, but IMO you should make sure that they do a full circumference weld around the joints. It can make the pipe more brittle, but after I had my 2.25 pipes done I kept checking them every now and then and they were constantly coming up with leaks at various points until I had them weld the full joint.
In an enclosed vehicle like a 4Runner a few little leaks can wind up letting a bunch of exhaust in the interior and CO2 builds up in the body. Well worth the slight potential of a shorter life of the pipe to me.
Old 05-20-2004, 07:53 PM

If I remember right, piping comes with labor. You pay for them to bend the pipes. Custom tailpipes cost money though, like if you go for chrome, how long it is, if its angle cut, those kinds of things.

I hope you enjoy the sound. I know I've been enjoying mine since. I had an acquiantance approach me one day at school after I passed him telling me how good it sounds. Tonight I set off a car alarm driving by I was only at 1/8 throttle. Methinks his alarm is too sensitive.
Old 05-20-2004, 08:17 PM

Ive done so many exhuast mods that its come fairly cheap now. I must have poured over a $1k into the local shop. Right now I have a setup that Ive outgrown. 3inch from the headers into a cherry bomb (no cat anymore, gonna put a high flow in next week), 3 inch into a flowmaster 40 delta flow, going into 2 1/2 pipe out the back.

This setup is to loud for me, and has been since I pulled the cat (check engine light in on, so I took out the bulb) My new setup will be highflow cat, same pipes, with a borla offset muffler. Hopefull it will become quiter, I've grown to old to be waking up the neighboors with my loud truck from blocks away
Old 05-20-2004, 08:18 PM

So would this muffler fit on my '93 PU? How loud is it... and how loud compared to the Flowmaster 40 series. A bunch of people suggested the flowmaster 40 muffler and they said it wouldn't be THAT loud, but what I said was that I wanted something fairly cheap and that would be only slightly louder and maybe deeper than stock. How does the magnaflow compare?
Old 05-20-2004, 08:26 PM

It wasnt to loud, but one I pulled the cat it became unbearbly loud. Now I kinda want something thats deep and quiet
Old 05-20-2004, 09:12 PM

Originally Posted by kford
I'm taking my runner in monday to get an 18" magnaflow muffler installed. it's the aluminum one (stainless is too expensive and I don't care what it looks like) with 2.25 pipes i believe.

Anyway, anyone with exhaust experience, from prices you got yours for, installation, and how please you are, POST. I'd like to make sure there aren't any problems before I dump more money into such a high mileage truck.
I got mine like a little over a week ago. I got the 14" stainless w/ a magnaflow tip as well. IS yours a 4 cylinder or 6? It will be louder in the 4. They let me listen to it before it got welded on. It sounded pretty loud in the shop...but I was standing like 2 ft away from it. IT quieted down a bit after a couple of days. I paid $90 for for the muffler and for the removal of old muff+tip, install new muff+tip= $45. I like it. Quiets down on the highway and really growls around 1400-2000 rpms. I like setting of alarms at school when I can't find a parking space.
Old 05-20-2004, 10:18 PM

I got a v6...I wish I could cram the tundra engine under my hood
Old 05-20-2004, 10:21 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by kford

QUESTION:

As you can tell I am new to this stuff.. Okay, so I go in and tell him i want a new magnaflow muffler. Do they replace ANY piping, or do they just cut the muffler and weld the old tailpipe to it? because my tailpipe is hideous, so is new pipe extra or is it always just included? Thanks, I'm an exhaust newb.
It depends on what exactly you're going to do. If your original piping is still good, they just slice off the old muffler, and put in the new one with an extra piece of pipe if the new muffler is shorter than the old one. Its definitely cheaper than replacing all your pipes. They can probably replace any amount of piping you need though. Most people just keep their original piping, put in the new muffler, and have a tip put on as that is the only part of the pipe that you really see.
Old 05-20-2004, 10:33 PM

Originally Posted by Scofco
Is a muffler hard to install or something? I have one coming next week, was planning on putting it in myself.
As long as you can weld. You'll probably need a short section of pipe and hangers( the metal rods that attach to the rubber mounts). You'll have to weld those to the muffler. Do you have access to a lift? Shop around. I'm sure you can find someone to install it for like $40 bucks.
Old 05-20-2004, 11:38 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
There's nothing wrong with Flowmasters. You just gotta get the right one for tastes. And they definitely don't sound ricey, unless you get some ricey tip. I'm running the stock tip with stock pipes and a Deltaflow 50 Series. I'll still be running my Flowmaster long after the packing blows out of your fancy Magnaflows.

More info:
- The 40 Series Deltaflow muffler is just damn loud all around, inside and out.

- The 50 Series Deltaflow muffler is quieter than the 40 Series, yet has a nice growl when you get on it. They are also pretty quiet inside the cab, especially at cruise rpms.

- The 50 Series SUV Deltaflow muffler has the same growl as the plain 50 Series outside, but is definitely louder inside the cab than the plain 50 Series.

Listen for yourself:
Deltaflow 50 Series on a 3rd gen w/3.4L V6

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Any last minute thoughts on exhaust?