Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Anti-rustification process has begun!

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2003, 07:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool Anti-rustification process has begun!

Well I am so darn excited about this I had to post. My dad just came in town from california (just in time too), and he brought all his body repair equipment. My truck bed was hit with rust pretty bad, and on both sides. (I will get pics up of the truck before and after... don't worry)

So yesterday, we:

-Removed as much of my stripes on the side of the car (since the paint shop wants $300 for them to do it before they paint).
-Grinded down the rust and cut away week metal
-Welded in a new piece of metal inside the truck bed on the passenger side since it had the largest hole
-Used bondo-glass on the passenger side to smooth it in to the body (not really, its got to be sanded down and a layer of regular bondo on top to make it easier to work)
-Driver side, in front of the fender was two small holes (about 1.5 inches square each) so we used a bondo metal patch and filled it with bondo.
-Driver side behind the fend, right at the seam it had rusted a big hole, and the fender was actually disjointed because the rusted metal was no longer connected to the upper half. So we welded the last bit that remained up to the upper part of the bed, so we didn't have to form a new piece of metal and match the curve of the fender. Then we used a bondo patch on the back side and applied bondo to the front.

Pretty basic stuff, but I am so excited , since the truck has had the rust since I bought it two years ago, and its finally going to get a make over.

Today I am going to apply more bondo to the parts that need more depth built up, and to a few other spots that need it (minor touch ups).

When we are done, I hope to go get it painted (maaco or earl schwab, nothing fancy) and I intend to change it from black to a medium blue metallic color and rhino line the truck bed.
Old 10-28-2003, 07:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dang, I thought I had better before pics of the rust... Well in this pic you can see the rear fender and how the lower half has come off the upper half and its got a gaping hole there.

I don't have pics of the passenger side... But I will get after shots.