Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Antenna Problem - Need Solution

Old 01-14-2009, 06:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Antenna Problem - Need Solution

Hi all,

For quite some time now I've been having problems with my antenna.
Everytime it comes ON and OFF I hear the motor run with a grinding sound and the antenna goes up/down sometimes getting stuck halfway.
For those who have experienced this problem, please let me know what I need to replace.
I've read about switching to the whip, but that really doesn't rock my boat.
Does anyone know if antenna like this one (see pic) are available for our cars???

Please advise,

maguirre
Old 01-14-2009, 06:10 PM
Donny, you're out of your element
Staff

Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts
You will need to get a new cable/mast assembly from Toyota. Fairly cheap, and pretty easy to replace once you get the antenna out of the truck.
Old 01-14-2009, 06:33 PM

yea just go in and tell them you need the mast and maybe describe it. They should know what you're talking about and it should be around $35 at least that's how much mine was from the dealer.
Old 01-14-2009, 07:15 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The catch is that you have to take the antenna apart to get the broken bit of gear out, then the new one just slides back in.

Piece of cake, and $35 or so for parts.
Old 01-14-2009, 08:03 PM

$21 for the mast through these guys...

http://www.antennamastsrus.com/Toyot...01996-2002.htm
Old 01-14-2009, 08:46 PM
Staff

They sell an OEM antenna, for $20? Something is fishy there. I can't even get that good of a price with a 30% discount at the dealer.
Old 01-15-2009, 05:26 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
the antennas you get online are not exactly OEM, but they do fit and do work. they
are just a hair cheesier...but i got a new one and stuck it in my 4runner and it has been
working for 10 months now no issues. in fact the slightly cheesier shaft (just a bit lighter than a stock one) is probably better as it goes up and down with less stress.

what you gotta do is:

get under wheel well, remove spash guard, unbolt antenna, unbolt top of fender antenna screw, pull whole assembly out...open up the antenna reel, take out any broken plastic.

then mount the motor back in, seal it all up, run the radio, fish the new plastic reel in, it will grab it and you are done. pretty simple really.
Old 01-15-2009, 08:03 AM

The closest thing would be the tacoma whip antenna. I believe it was 60 for the antenna assembly. Super easy install.
Old 01-24-2009, 09:17 AM

Did all of the above still have an issue...

I did all the correct steps to replace my antenna mast. After I feed the nylon cord into the motor and replace the screw to hold the antenna down and try to turn the radio on, once the antenna reaches the top the motor gears keep grinding on the cord. I have tried feeding it in with delayed timing...I have tried about everything...but with no result it keeps grinding on the nylon cord. Does anyone have a suggestion on how to fix this?
Old 01-24-2009, 09:20 AM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
my antenna has been broken for years so i just unplugged the relay box pushed the antenna down some still works good
Old 01-24-2009, 09:23 AM
Staff

You need to do what I suggested, and take the antenna assy out of the truck. Feeding it down into the mast without having it out of the truck only works if there was no cable damage in the first place. Sounds like you still have a piece of cable down in there.

Take the antenna out, disassemble it, and you will find the problem.
Old 01-24-2009, 12:15 PM

I did take the motor out. There were actually 2 broken off pieces in there (which I took out.) Could it be the length of the nylon cord?
Old 01-24-2009, 12:25 PM
Staff

If you did not buy a factory one, that is possible. However, the relay might be bad if it continues to try and go up even once it has reached the top.

Did you check the plastic worm gear that is driven by the actual motor itself? Those can also strip out, though if it went up, i would say that is not likely.
Old 04-10-2009, 05:52 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by dh515
$21 for the mast through these guys...

http://www.antennamastsrus.com/Toyot...01996-2002.htm
Thanks for the website suggestion!

I ordered one from these guys the other day and it came this morning (took only 2-3 days, including shipping). My wife's new-to-her 1999 SR5 4runner came with a DOA antenna mast. It wasn't going up or down, but I could hear the motor running both ways and the signal was coming in okay.

I first pulled just the antenna mast per the instructions, but as I expected the mast had broken the plastic belt near the top (mast) end (nothing's ever easy). Next, I pulled the fender liner out. That was a PITA because of the notorious fender liner clips. I broke all but one removing them with pliars and a screwdriver (towards the end, I just started cutting them off and pushing them through). Finally, I removed the liner and chrome fender accent band.

The antenna motor assembly is mounted with one bolt, which I removed easily enough. I disconnected the power, but left the assembly attached to the truck by the antenna lead (I'm guessing that's what it was) and the power cable, which was clipped to the truck. No real need to disconnect it.

The assembly was in a heavy plastic bag, electrical-taped shut. I pulled it out, cut the tape, and removed the screws to open the housing. Out came the coiled-up broken cable. I resealed it without greasing it because it seemed plenty greasy already. Reassembly was the reverse of disassembly. I had to make a stop by the stealership to pick up 6 new fender liner clips, which were overpriced (I paid $10 for 6; they had 3 for my 4runner, but found another 3 for another vehicle which were identical). O'Rilley Autoparts didn't have any, and I was racing a thunderstorm so I just caved and went to the dealership - Autozone might have had them cheaper.

The new antenna mast went in smoothly on the third try. It just required a little fiddling. The radio now doesn't play back that screeching noise when the antenna goes up like my regular 1999 4runner's does. I wonder if I'll be replacing another mast soon. Oh well, second time will be easier.

Why Toyota couldn't just have everything bolted into the fender instead of into plastic clips is beyond me. I thought the clips were very easy to strip out. If it hadn't been for that part of the process, this would have been a 30 minute job. As it was, more like 2 hours, including the drive to the dealership.

Overall cost:
$20.50 (antenna mast from above link)
$ 6.00 (shipping)
$10.00 (overpriced fender liner clips from dealership)
-------
$36.50
Old 02-12-2010, 10:51 AM

I had an antenna problem as well. My car's a 2000 4Runner. Here's the situation:

I had a broken mast. I ordered new mast and removed the broken mast by pulling it out. There were broken parts in the reel. Opened reel and took that out as well. I go back and replace everything. I got ready to feed the mast back in from the top and turned the radio on. However, the radio turned on for a second or two. It didn't take the mast and now the radio wont turn on at all. What is wrong? How do I fix this?
Old 02-13-2010, 04:26 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
vcheung it may have grounded out-if you are saying it has no power it sounds like it blew a fuse.

You need 2 sets of eyes- one inside the truck to turn the power on and a quick set of hands at the antenna to time the mast insertion at the top of the travel.

I am going to tacoma whip this weekend if all goes well I will have a good used unit if anyone needs one.