Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Answers for scorcher

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2004, 06:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Answers for scorcher-pics of my 3.4 conv. linx

I have been reading your thread for a while now, and a couple of them has said is it worth it....just trade it in. The only advice I have for you is that, look at your truck and can you possible live with out it....I cant I cant live with out my 90, I really do not like anything about the 3rd Gens other than a rear locker(on limited models) and of course the infamous 3.4L. I love the body style, the looks, and down, right simplicity of the vehicle (I sure first gens agree even more). But as I was saying, get the 3.4L and matching trans, ecu, mass airflo boxes, vacum box, throttle control sensors, and all the matching wiring. Here is some things that might help, because I am performing the swap as we speak. The 3vze tranny works, but with out an extensive amount of electronics traning and logic analyzing, this swap is impractical. Because the 5vze comp is set for the idling and shifting points of the 5vze tranny, all most a duel comp. swap or totally re-analyzing the ecu. The 3vze tranny is just as strong as the 5vze tranny(there are some rumors) they have actually put them in newer T100 and Tacos. I friends with a guy that works for a toyota garage. Off road sols will be offering soon. But if your a cheap a** like me you'll follow closely. Get the newe 3.4L and tranny. The transfercase is not neededin this particular case. Both of your auto trannys are hydros cannot be separtated, but this is what I am doing, off road solutions off a transfer case adapt it will make sense once you see it. You will need to obtain a trans case from a 95-79 taco or runner 4cyl/ turbo(gear driven) i think 23 spline nonturbo i think 21. Anyway either will work, there is no interference with shift linkage because the t-case for a 4cyl is smaller, besides linkage on a 5vze unlike a 3vze tranny can be adjusted easily. The adapter then bolts onto the trans accepts the transcase. Use existing driveshafts gas tanks(exeption of pulling out the pump and replacing the sending unit pump) and thats about it. There are minor issuses of wiring, like the ac, tac, (because of 2nd gens negative pusle width,more on this is you need it) and something else which seems to me escaping me right now. But alot of people are throwing a s**t fit about this, its not that complicate. I paid 1000 for my 3.4 35000 miles and tranny 600, trans adapt is the only kicker 450, and Im get a transfercase for next to nothing because I order so much struff from the same junk yard and a lift kit because the engine is too tall 200. I know this sound exp. but just price the 3.slow, a block that is rarely made anymore. Mine came with everything, and when I say everything i mean everything but the frame!(joking) No really just ask for all the wiring most place dont care..I am in the process of totally redoing the 90 frame up restoration. Right now the rain and school keeps giving me a hard time. so I havent gotten to do much tonight and tommorrow frame painting and hurculining the underbod. If you need help I will send picks that I have or just visit my posts on off-road.com, I have the same screen name. Just do a search for 3.4L swap. If you have anymore q's let me know. Just in case you might ask yourself is it worth it. Stand back and look at your truck. The answer will soon follow.

Bryan---3.4 in the making.....this will be a JEEP RECOVERY VEHICLE, posting pics soon

linx----http://bbs.off-road.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=offroadtoytruck&Number=128 4551&page=&view=&sb=&o=&fpart=1&vc=1

Last edited by bh4runner; 04-23-2004 at 06:46 AM. Reason: Add pics
Old 04-23-2004, 01:50 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
wow, thats a long post good luck with the swap