Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Another (Winter) Tire Question...

Old 11-05-2003, 11:14 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Another (Winter) Tire Question...

before i start, i did use the flashing green search button, but i didn't find what i was looking for...

with that said. i have an '89 runner that i'm going to let my girlfriend use this winter (i know, i know). but she's going to be going skiing with her friends (i don't ski) and in colorado, the roads to the resorts go over 11,000 ft icy mountain passes. if i were driving, i'd just keep the michelin ltx's on the truck. but i'd like to give her every advantage of staying on the road as possible. i have an extra set of wheels available, so switching the tires for different seasons is not an issue for me.

so does anybody have any helpful advice on tire choice. pretty much i've narrowed it down to the blizzak's, winter dualer (which seem to be alot like bilzzak), or some (relatively inexpensive) studded tire. in colorado, we're allowed studs all year round, but i'd only run them in the winter.

i'm leaning towards the studded tires, but i see very few options for studs, most places that sell winter tires are going the blizzak route. are the blizzak's better than studs? or is it just because studs aren't allowed in most states, that the blizzak seems more popular?

thanks!
mike
Old 11-05-2003, 11:23 AM

According to Bridgestone tests (of course) blizzaks are better on ice than studs. I haven't tired both studs and blizzaks on the same car, but new blizzaks are great on ice. I think better than studs. The reason is that you tend to only have two, maybe 4 studs per tire in contact with the road at a time vs. a rubber compound that is designed to grab the ice.

The only problem with blizzaks is that they wear fast, but if you are using them for winter only, they will last several years.
Old 11-05-2003, 11:41 AM
uwf

Hello,

This question is kinda on the same topic. I am moving up to Boston and have never seen or driven in snow. Someone suggested to me that I get snow tires, but I do not want to use the money for that if I do not have to. Would you guys suggest that I get snow tires for Boston? I am guessing that blizzaks come recommended?

Thanks for any help,
Joseph
Old 11-05-2003, 11:45 AM

uwf, from my experience, a good set of all terrain tires (especially on a 4wd) are good enough for most winter driving. i've actually never used studs or specialized winter tires. the only reason i'm thinking about going to the winter tires this time is that driving over 11,000 ft icy mountain passes is different than driving in slushy, or icy city streets. i've found that if you just take it slow and use 4wd you can get around just fine. i'd save the money unless you find out that the winter driving is really scary.
Old 11-05-2003, 11:50 AM
uwf

Cool,

Thanks for the help. I am just going to save the money then and make another decision on that when I get there in January.

Later,
Joseph
Old 11-05-2003, 12:25 PM
Contributing Member

Hey Mike-

IMHO, I prefer regular studded winter tires over the studless variety. Although I don't have any experience with the blizzaks themselves, I have used a similar soft compund winter tire that similar. The thing about the high mountain passes you are talking about is that there is always black ice present, thats why I prefer the studs...You should be able to find them, just start calling every tire shop till you find 'em.

Also, be sure and add around 200-250 pounds in the back of the Runner, it will help, too. If you can find those 70 lb "sand sausages" then get 3 of them and you'll be set.

Just my $.02
Old 11-05-2003, 04:21 PM

Tieres for you

i have all terain Cooper discovery with about and inch and a half nobs on them and i got them all for 500 dollars and they have been the smoothest most rugged tires i've ever bought i suggest those or Wild Cat Ext from les shwab. The coopers are the way to go thought they are the smoothest but rugged and they have holes to put studs in if you want but they dont really need them