Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Another Tire Thread (2nd Gen 4Runners)

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2004, 09:24 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Another Tire Thread (2nd Gen 4Runners)

I just wanted to get some input from some of you. The 90 model that I fixed up, my girlfriend wanted, so on the upside I've sort of got 2 4Runners, on the downside, I now have to work on 2 4Runners. Anyway, the old 4Runners won't stop to save their lives in the rain like the 3rd gens will. So the best I can do is get some tires that will help. THe POS's that are on there will slide like you're on snow. I was looking on tire-rack, and thinking about what tire would provide good snow traction, and excellent wet traction, all while getting some decent mileage out of them, and being able to run through some mud if the case ever arose.

I came across the Kumho Venture MT tire on the tire rack. It's reasonably priced, and the reviews show it's great in the snow, has a little noise but not too bad, and is pretty good in the rain, and obviously good offroad.

My question is a street tire usually better for handling heavy rain soaked roads than an a/t or an m/t? And being me, you must back up your reasons with some sort of fact or theory that I can agree with, or else I'll be unable to legitimize your reasoning.

I know that when running MT's on the old 87 I had, it stopped a lot better than the goodyear trackers (street tire) that were on there before (and no they weren't worn out, i switched rims). Just looking for some input. I'm not wanting to spend 120 bucks for Revo's, I may consider it on the 99, but don't have the much to spend on the 90. Thanks, any input would be appreciated. I've drivne on a lot of tires on different vehicles in my day, but just wanted to hear from you guys with 2nd gens, what works best for you all.
Old 06-24-2004, 11:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've been running Goodyear MT/R's for a little while and love them. They have been very good in the rain and did really well in the mud. They are also pretty quiet on the road. A little expensive though.
Old 06-24-2004, 11:18 AM
Contributing Member

I'm not sure if you guys have Les Schwab's out there but I've had 2 or 3 sets their Wild Country Radial TXR's, and they are some awesome tires. From what I remember though they were around $130ea. for 31's. Corey and BigBadBlue (used to have them) also have the same tires.
Old 06-25-2004, 04:06 PM

Location: 100 miles offshore as much as possible, & Springfield Oregon USA
I've run just about anything over the years. The thing that makes a tire good in the rain is big grooves that run around the circumference of the tire. If you look at say, a BFG All Terrain compared to something like a Mickey Thompson Baja MTX you'll see what I mean. The worst hydroplaning tires I've ever owned were BFG All terrains. Most real mud tires are pretty decent in the wet because the water can get out of the wide open tread, but even so most mud tires aren't as good in the rain as an all terrain tire with good circumferential grooving. For snow the best traction comes from lots of small tread elements. (The best snow traction I ever got was from All Terrain tires, not mud treads.) If you go with an aggressive tread you might sipe them. This improves quietness, braking grip, and grip on snow.
Old 06-25-2004, 04:21 PM
Contributing Member

I have MT/Rs and they are not good in rain or mud ... in the snow or on rocks .. great tire ... but I really slow down in the rain.. I won't be buying another set of these again. But they are taking forever to wear down. I've got 10K miles, and they look brand new
Old 06-25-2004, 05:11 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Thanks for the replies fellas. Looks like mixed reviews on the MT/Rs. Anyone else have input, feel free to post, I like to listen.
Old 06-26-2004, 04:45 AM

Flamedx4 now's his s*#t.Most mud tires have no siping which is great for wet traction.But they have a more open tread pattern(which allows water to escape).Mud tires are also very noisy(at least my dunlop mud rovers are)I buy all my tires from "TheRack".I think an all terain of some kind would be your best bet.I'm looking for a set for my 90'runner and i probably going for the BFG's
Old 06-26-2004, 06:56 AM

My MT/R's are great in the rain. We don't get nice slow steady rain in the desert like you guys elsewhere get - we get 1-2" in 20-30 mins. I have to say my MT/R's are a lot better than the Bridgestone A/T's they replaced. They are quieter (!) even after 15k miles, ride very nice, and have not let me down in the sand, mud, snow, rain, etc. Yes, they are a mud tire and I expect that they will become more noisy as they wear but I also think the noise issue is very much influenced by the width of the tire. A buddy has 33x12.50 MT/R's on his F150 and they are LOUD! Even he couldn't believe how quiet mine are.

In short: buy the best tire for the most serious off-road stuff you'll encounter. If it is 90% street then get something like Bridgestone Revo's.
Old 06-26-2004, 07:04 AM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by 914runner
I'm not sure if you guys have Les Schwab's out there but I've had 2 or 3 sets their Wild Country Radial TXR's, and they are some awesome tires. From what I remember though they were around $130ea. for 31's. Corey and BigBadBlue (used to have them) also have the same tires.
My next set will be the exact same tire.
Aggressive enough tread for me, most excellent in any type of weather, and I have never hydroplaned these or slide in the rain.

Toddski just put a set on his '88 4Runner too.

I am sure this exact same tire is made by one company that then resells them to Les Schwab and other tire stores around the country.
It would be worth investigating the source if you want a tire like this.
They last a long time too.

My tread is hardly worn down, and they have been on here for about 4 years I think?

The tires were sipped from Les Schwab when they were put on, and I highly recommend sipping as it adds years to the life of them (by cooling) and they handle better in ice, rain, snow, ect.
Old 06-26-2004, 07:56 AM
Contributing Member

Tires!!!!!

Hi, I’ve had my 88 Toy 4x4 for a long time and have gone through some tires. I have to say that my Bridgestone Dueler AT Revos are by far the best I’ve ever owned for all around driving with 60% road and 40% off road. I have had the BFG AT's BFG trail breakers, Kumhos “which were a GREAT tire except the name KUM HO , Yokahoma's I even tried the Pirelli's which were a waste of time and cash! Now the best AT/MT tire that I have ran was the Firestone Destination MT which are freaking great but for more highway driving they are quite loud and are not cheap!