Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2005, 01:03 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Another Meguirs Victim

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y18...ictures006.jpg
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y18...ictures005.jpg
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y18...ictures002.jpg
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y18...ictures001.jpg

I found some very very minor rust underneath the lip of both front fenders. I treated it with the POR-15 system (Degreaser, Metal Ready, & POR-15 Grey Paint). Really more preventative maintenance and to keep the rust in check. I took off all the trim and waxed underneath it as well as I did a Meguirs clay treatment system and a Meguirs Gold class wax today. I also shined all the chrome with some chrome shiner, and well, the interior is in it's typically mint shape as well. Looks outstanding! I figure I probably used in excess of $80 of chemicals on my truck today.

Last edited by CoedNaked; 08-01-2005 at 01:08 PM.
Old 08-01-2005, 01:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm not a fan of your favorite wax but it does look good when you first use it , it just isn't a lasting shine and offers very little protection from the elements. I'm a Turtle wax fan myself.
Your truck is look's great! It takes pride and work to keep up with them as you have. Mike
Old 08-01-2005, 04:04 PM
Contributing Member

wow, shiny truck! I personally like Meguiars also, as long as you use the full system or the gold wax its nice stuff but its does seem to wear faster if you just use the reg wax without the polish and stuff. I like mothers too.
Old 08-02-2005, 02:00 AM
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
zaino is supposed to be the creme-de-la-creme of automotive waxes and polishes. i'm gonna get me some after i use up the rest of my mothers products that i had bought before i became educated on the subject.
Old 08-02-2005, 03:34 AM

WOW..real clean. its diffucult to make silver look "freshly waxed". But you taco is super clean.
on a side note, im with you beartracker, turtle wax is my fav.....
Old 08-02-2005, 04:25 AM

Zanio is the best according to the testing I have seen on waxes. There was a big write up a while back where they tested several top brands for shine and indurance by having them judged over time and after sitiing in different elements of weather.
The new Turtle wax came in second, can't think of the name of it now but it's in my work shop. Zanio came in first hands down. If you want the best scratch remover try the scratch and swirel remover by Turtle wax. I'm off road all the time and drive through briers and brush and this stuff really works. Mike
Old 08-02-2005, 04:25 AM

Zaino is the best stuff I've tried. It protects great and when you build up several coats it shines awesome. This car was my daily driver for 5+ years and it had 72K miles on it when I sold it and I pretty much used Zaino on it exclusively. Too bad my digital camera sucks so bad because this car was in great shape.

Last edited by JL8Jeff; 08-02-2005 at 04:27 AM.
Old 08-02-2005, 05:46 AM

Wow Jeff, Now if that thing had 4-wheel and a 4" lift with 32" rock crawler tires it would really be sharp,Lol. Sure is a pretty car and the wax care shows. Mike
Old 08-02-2005, 10:02 AM
Contributing Member

Where can you get that zaino stuff? Never heard of it, I know that Zymol is real nice stuff just can't justify that much money for wax, wash etc. on my truck thats beaten to hell anyways.
Old 08-02-2005, 11:06 AM
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
http://www.zainostore.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc
Old 08-02-2005, 12:36 PM

I probably wouldn't waste using Zaino on something that has a beaten up paint job, but it is one of the easiest to apply and remove wax/polish as well as one of the best protecting. My 93 Z28 Indy Pace Car was 1 of 645 made and already had 28K miles on it when I got it so I used it as a daily driver and put a Powerdyne supercharger on it for more fun. I also towed my 16' boat with it. It wasn't very good in the snow though!
Old 08-03-2005, 04:01 AM
Contributing Member

I've personally had better luck with the Mother's line of products over Meguiars, Turtle Wax...etc. She gets waxed 4 times a year and I get compliments all of the time on how good the paint looks. It is very easy to work with and hold the shine. I use to be a die hard Meguiars fan, but ever since I tried the Mothers from the suggestion of a friend who is into showing his 37 Plymouth Street-Rod, I have been using it ever since.

Last edited by ugadawg95; 08-03-2005 at 04:05 AM.
Old 08-03-2005, 07:36 AM

Man, now I gotta get out there and shine my rig so I can post some nice pics as well.
Old 08-03-2005, 10:48 AM

Zaino is not a wax but a synthetic polymer that bonds to the paint. You're comparing apples and oranges. Best wax out there for dark colors is Pinnicle Souverian. $70 a can, not cheap, but creates awesome depth and shine on dark colors. A little cheaper is S100. Known more as a motorcycle wax, but creats that same deep shine on dark colors. I use it on my black 4Runner and it gives the "wet" look. I love it.

Meguires and Mothers are both excellent products as well. Mequires just came out with a new line called NXT. I haven't had a chance to try it out though.

More importantly than the wax is the preperation before hand. To get the best shine you need to clay, clean the paint, remove swirls and then wax.

As for Turtle Wax, no coment. Glad you like it but I wouldn't be caught dead using it.
Old 08-03-2005, 11:05 AM
Contributing Member

I've used Meguire's since the early '90s and I've liked the job they do and they don't charge and arm and a leg. I do a full detail on my truck twice a year and did the same on my Eclipse for over 8 and Meguires held up fine but I think it does help to have a garage vs your vehicle being outside all the time.
I work nites so my truck sits out in the dark of night then it's in a garage the rest of the time so sun exposure is pretty minimal for the most part.
Old 08-03-2005, 02:17 PM

Originally Posted by tpg013
Zaino is not a wax but a synthetic polymer that bonds to the paint. You're comparing apples and oranges. Best wax out there for dark colors is Pinnicle Souverian. $70 a can, not cheap, but creates awesome depth and shine on dark colors. A little cheaper is S100. Known more as a motorcycle wax, but creats that same deep shine on dark colors. I use it on my black 4Runner and it gives the "wet" look. I love it.

Meguires and Mothers are both excellent products as well. Mequires just came out with a new line called NXT. I haven't had a chance to try it out though.

More importantly than the wax is the preperation before hand. To get the best shine you need to clay, clean the paint, remove swirls and then wax.

As for Turtle Wax, no coment. Glad you like it but I wouldn't be caught dead using it.
It's funny you would make that comment about Turtle wax when it's rated as the second best on the market today in several test. It has been around much longer than most of the stuff you see on the market today and there "Platinum series paste wax" is the best I have seen and believe me over the years I have tried many of them. If you want to eliminate small scratches like I get all the time Turtle was is the way to go and it will out last and protect much longer than Mothers or Mequires. It is in no way as easy to use as any of the above mentioned but you "get what you work for" when it comes to the care of your vehical.
Keep in mind that I'm not knocking any of the products mentioned in this thread. They are all great and leave a beautiful shine but a shine is not the only thing I'm after. Mike

ugadawg95, That vehical really looks sharp! If I decide to paint mine that's the color I want. Mike
Old 08-03-2005, 02:22 PM
Contributing Member

I've heard nothing but good stuff about Griots polishes/waxes, when the funds finally come in I'll be going with Griots for sure!

Fink
Old 08-03-2005, 02:36 PM

You can see the shadow of the trees in the shine. It's really not the paint
[IMG][/IMG]

Last edited by Beartracker; 08-03-2005 at 02:39 PM.
Old 08-03-2005, 03:27 PM

Beartracker, what are those things in front of the grill?
Old 08-03-2005, 04:23 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Beartracker
ugadawg95, That vehical really looks sharp! If I decide to paint mine that's the color I want. Mike
Thanks for the kind words. What I lack in mud, I make up for in shine

I looked for a 4runner in that color. I had a PreRunner before the runner and it was green too. A little harder to keep clean, but it looks great when it is. You take the good with the bad I suppose

Last edited by ugadawg95; 08-03-2005 at 04:28 PM.

Quick Reply: Another Meguirs Victim