Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Another "Locked up" caliper question

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2011, 07:21 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Another "Locked up" caliper question

My son's 96 4Runner Limited has been having front brake probs for the last few months. The dealer is claiming both front calipers are "locked up" and is recommending new calipers, rotors and pads.

Here is a time line of events

Dec 2007
resurfaced rotors, new pads all around

Nov 29 2010
replaced caliper left side
replaced rotor left side
replaced pads both sides
bled both sides to clean bubble free fluid

May 13 2011
replaced rotor left side
replaced pads left side
bled both sides to clean bubble free fluid

When we put in the new caliper, we checked all the pistons in both calipers to make sure everything was moving freely.

By May, 5 months after replacing the caliper, rtor and pads the left side pads were worn to the backing plate and the rotor shot. The right side does not look bad

Is there any component that could result in the brake pressure not being relieved properly when the pedal is released. Is there any way to diagnose the system upstream of the calipers?

He cannot afford the 1200 the dealer wants and I hate to install all new calipers, rotors and pads if there is something else contributing to the problem.

Dealer also said the rear axle seals are leaking, those were installed by the dealer using aftermarket parts last September. Naturally only a 6 month warranty on those parts. Since the rear pads are soaked in axle lube, it seems like the left front brake is the only system doing any braking

Thanks for any comments or suggestions
Old 06-08-2011, 08:00 AM
Banned

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts
Dealer do all the work previously?

$1200 is stupid high for brake work.

Not warrantying the rear axle seals they installed is bunk.

Find a competent local mechanic or do it yourself.

Front calipers, rotors and pads all NEW should be under $300 easy.
Rear seals ain't bad either.
Do it all yourself and save a ton.

:wabbit2:
Old 06-08-2011, 08:08 AM

Thanks for your thoughts.

The dealer only did the front work in 2007 and the rear axle work in September 2010. All the other work I did with my son. I just can't shake the feeling that something else is wrong and I don't want my son to spend the time and money on new parts only to have them worn out prematurely if something else is wrong.

If we do the work, I think I would consider the Tundra caliper/rotor/pads mod for the 4Runner. Some folks seem to have had good success with that approach.

Last edited by Blueman2; 06-08-2011 at 12:31 PM.
Old 06-08-2011, 12:07 PM

Is there any component that could result in the brake pressure not being relieved properly when the pedal is released.

I swore my new front calipers were sticking last year. It was actually leaking rear main axle seals cauing the back brakes to stick. I'm embarressed I could not tell the differance but in the end, my rear brakes sticking made me think my front calipers were locking up. The solution for me was new rear axle seals.
Old 06-08-2011, 01:47 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Folks, testing locked up calipers is really easy.

Step 1: get infrared thermometer (under $20)
Step 2: measure temperature of rotor or drum
Old 06-08-2011, 03:59 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I had the exact same problem after replacing one of the 2 calipers.... 4 mos later, the other side froze.... so I replaced that one.... 6 mos later, the one I had 1st replaced froze again... this time, I bought 2 new calipers, and havent had issues since.... I know cash can b tight at times, and I also hate replacing parts, just cuz I should, but its always smart to replace brake components in pairs... do anything to the left, u should do the same to the right....

and as wab said... all th e parts for the front brakes could be bought new for around $300, so it makes sense to go that route.
Old 06-09-2011, 06:55 AM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
frozen front calipers doesn't mean the calipers need to be replaced. i would remove the calipers and inspect the pistons and the bore. if the pistons and bore are still smooth, i'll clean the pistons and the bores and replace the piston seals with new oem seals. if any of the pistons and/or bore have been scarred, then i'll get new calipers. i've done the seal replacement before and i did it together with replacing the master cylinder kit. til now, no probs whatsoever. edit: one cause of seized calipers is old brake fluid that has too many water vapor in it. the water vapor will cause corrosion of the caliper-piston interface. iirc, Toyota recommends that brake fluid be replaced every two years.

Last edited by KZN185W; 06-09-2011 at 06:58 AM.
Old 06-09-2011, 08:38 AM

Thanks for all comments, the dealer also said the rear axle seals were leaking, brake shoes soaked, and quoted 800 for that work. I wonder if they are including bearings in that work because seals and brakes only should not be that much.

The Dealer installed a salvage axle in September of 2010, the original was bent in an accident. The salvage axle was also leaking oil so they replaced the seals and brakes at that time.

I wonder if the new seals installed in Sept failed because of bearing wear, or because of improper seal installation/mispositioning or if the axles are damaged in such a way as to damage the seals quickly.

[RANT]Dang I hate having to deal with all this crap. My son can't afford these kind of costs and right now neither can I.[/RANT]

I think I may be pulling axles over the next few days instead of all the other stuff I planned to do.
Old 06-09-2011, 09:20 AM

That has to be frustrating dealing with the same problems over and over. Lots of good tips for you on the brakes. You should be able to solve that problem once and for all.

While your working on the axles, see if there is a way to make sure the salvage axle is not bent too. I went through that problem years ago on another vehicle.
Old 06-09-2011, 09:29 AM

At our work if this happens on a customers rig we just replace the whole caliper setup and give em a 3yr warranty on them for free replacement and free labor if it gives them trouble. Dangerous to be driving around with locked up calipers...I agree with KZN a good bleed and flush on the system is a great idea while you may be in there.