Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Another HID Bi-xenon Retrofit Install *PICS*

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2008, 07:40 AM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cool Another HID Bi-xenon Retrofit Install *PICS*

A big thanks to Pdyebrasil for giving me yet another reason to blow more money on my 4Runner (He was the first guy I saw do this mod to a 4Runner). Also, a big thanks to Pfdaxe for answering all the emails I sent him every time I ran into a snag. For more information on what they both did, check out this link: Click Me.

Oh and for more information on yet another FX Projector Retrofit I came across, check out WeCool.net: Click Me

For my own install, I followed Pfdaxe’s retrofit very closely. Here’s what I used:

Infiniti FX Bi-xenon Projectors
Acura TSX Lenses
Hella Gen 3 Ballasts
35W 4300K Philip D2S 85122+ Bulbs
H4 Plug-n-Play Wiring Kit -(ebay special)
Malibu Light Covers

Stock Infiniti FX Bi-xenon Projectors:

Note, the yellow wires are not used.

Name:  fx4.jpg
Views: 1298
Size:  99.5 KB
Name:  fx3.jpg
Views: 1113
Size:  96.0 KB

FX Lenses Removed:

Name:  CIMG1142.jpg
Views: 1082
Size:  148.6 KB

The above lenses appear very clear, but looks can be deceiving. So I purchased a set of stock Acura TSX Single Beam Projectors strictly for their truly clear lenses.

I then removed the TSX lenses and installed them into the FX Projectors. Although, the FX lenses I already had were considered the “clear” version by market standards (as seen in the picture above), when compared to that of the TSX lenses, the FX lenses left very little to be desired. The TSX lenses are so incredibly clear, that they make the FX lenses look like crap. Here are a few comparison shots of the FX and TSX lenses:

FX vs. TSX Lenses installed in FX Projectors:

Name:  CIMG1132.jpg
Views: 1066
Size:  72.4 KB

FX vs. TSX Lenses installed in FX Projectors:

1st Comparison Shot:

FX:
Name:  CIMG1134.jpg
Views: 1105
Size:  69.1 KB

TSX:
Name:  CIMG1133.jpg
Views: 1065
Size:  86.7 KB

2nd Comparison Shot:

FX:
Name:  CIMG1137.jpg
Views: 1065
Size:  71.9 KB

TSX:
Name:  CIMG1136.jpg
Views: 1078
Size:  65.8 KB

I obtained both the pair of 35W 4300K Philip D2S 85122+ bulbs and Hella Gen3 Ballasts from YT member Pfdaxe. As for the PnP Wiring Kit, I purchased it directly from Ebay. It came with all the necessary wiring to retain proper function of my high beams with the newly installed FX projectors.

I attempted the Color O-ring Mod, but had mixed results. I simply could not find a large enough gasket to make this mod worth my time. So I scrapped it and moved on. For those interested in this Mod, visit HID Planet: Click Me

For the Malibu Light Covers, I went with Intermatic.com. I found that while they do not sell the entire Malibu light itself, they do offer individual replacement parts for it. (Which was great, considering I only needed the covers anyway.)

Stock Photo of the Entire Malibu Light:
Name:  malibucover.jpg
Views: 1054
Size:  19.4 KB

The Product Number for the entire light above is – LZ512SS found here: www.intermaticstore.com

Once you are there, click the "Parts" Tab at the bottom of the page. The first item in the list should be:

Light cover itself: Item # LZ512SSA
Description: SOLAR TOP-WHITE LED-INCLUDES BATTERY
Price per Cover: $6.25

I ordered 4 of these light covers (two extra in case I screwed the other 2 up) and had them at sitting at my front door in 3 days.

Here’s the process I took to convert the Malibu covers into Projector Shrouds:

Name:  cover1.jpg
Views: 1068
Size:  92.0 KB
Name:  cover2.jpg
Views: 1078
Size:  114.2 KB
Name:  cover3.jpg
Views: 1067
Size:  89.9 KB
Name:  cover4.jpg
Views: 1108
Size:  102.8 KB
Name:  mbcover.jpg
Views: 1030
Size:  48.3 KB
Name:  CIMG1292.jpg
Views: 1071
Size:  75.4 KB

I also purchased a 2nd pair of oem headlights to use in my 4Runner while I completed this retrofit on my existing headlights. Once I finished the retrofit, I swapped in my newly modified projector headlights and sold the donor lights.

Stock Headlight Housings:

Name:  CIMG1120.jpg
Views: 1079
Size:  99.3 KB

To remove the headlight glass, I baked each light individually in the oven at 350 degrees for 5 minutes. This process permitted the hardened glue to become very soft, which in turn, allowed me to take a flat head screwdriver and pry the glass off of the housing.

Glass & Bulb Cover removed from Driver side Headlight:

Name:  CIMG1123.jpg
Views: 1043
Size:  103.0 KB

In order to fit the FX Projectors in these headlights, the rear opening needed to be enlarged. A 2-inch hole saw made for a quick cut:

Before Rear Opening was cut:

Name:  CIMG1124.jpg
Views: 1063
Size:  81.9 KB
Name:  CIMG1138.jpg
Views: 1062
Size:  76.4 KB

After Cuts were Made:

Name:  CIMG1140.jpg
Views: 1047
Size:  104.8 KB
Name:  CIMG1139.jpg
Views: 1041
Size:  93.8 KB

Projector Mounted with the Malibu Cover On:

To secure the projector itself to the headlight, I drilled 4 small holes into the headlight and ran 4 long screws thru the projector mounting tabs and thru the holes in the headlight. Bolted them down on the backside of the headlight using lock washers, nuts, liquid thread locker and even some JB Weld to further seal them up.

Name:  CIMG1293.jpg
Views: 1074
Size:  113.2 KB

Backside of Light:

Since I did not get a picture of the back of my finished lights, here is a picture I got from WeCool.net. I used JB Weld to cover my 4 bolts as they did, but instead of using JB Weld to fill in the gap around the back of the projector as this one below, I simply used clear RTV Silicone. Less dry time and easily removable if need be:

Name:  Light.jpg
Views: 1057
Size:  64.8 KB

The following day, I individually baked each light again for 5 minutes at 350 degrees in order to reseal the glass to the housing. Upon removing each light from the oven, I then firmly pressed the glass back to the housing. After the housings cooled, I placed a thin bead of clear RTV silicone around each light where the glass joins the housing. This was done to further waterproof the housings. I also took the same silicone and placed a good amount of it on the backside of each headlight, where the projector pushed thru the hole, to further seal any small openings.

Finally, ran the wiring and mounted the Ballasts:

Ballasts Mounted in Engine Bay:

Passenger Side:
Name:  CIMG1621.jpg
Views: 1061
Size:  120.2 KB

Driverside:
Name:  CIMG1617.jpg
Views: 1087
Size:  144.4 KB

Bulbs Installed:

Passenger Side:
Name:  CIMG1614.jpg
Views: 1063
Size:  93.2 KB

Driver Side:
Name:  CIMG1615.jpg
Views: 1058
Size:  107.1 KB

Head Lights Mounted:

(Please note, the headlights were not yet properly aimed when I took these photos.)

Name:  3b.jpg
Views: 1076
Size:  130.9 KB
Name:  CIMG1613.jpg
Views: 1054
Size:  123.0 KB
Name:  CIMG1612.jpg
Views: 1125
Size:  120.4 KB
Name:  CIMG1605.jpg
Views: 1060
Size:  142.2 KB
Name:  4b.jpg
Views: 1056
Size:  106.5 KB

Aiming the headlights was effortless. I parked on a level surface, 25ft away from a wall and measured the distance from the center of the projector to the ground below. I took that measurement over to the wall and subtracted 2 inches. I marked this new measurement by placing a piece of tape horizontal on to the wall. Finally, I simply aligned the light cutoff on to the wall so it was even with the tape.

For more detailed information on aiming your headlights, check out this site: Click Me

I have not taken any night shots yet, but the light output is a significant improvement over stock. The light cutoff, created by the projectors, is so sharp, it puts aftermarket PnP kits to shame. Although I personally have never been blinded at night by others running PnP kits, I simply prefer the “look and feel” of Projectors instead. IMO, projectors create a more professional appearance in both aesthetics and light intensity.

EDIT:

Here's a couple night shots:

Name:  CIMG1654.jpg
Views: 1062
Size:  47.6 KB
Name:  CIMG1658.jpg
Views: 1066
Size:  59.2 KB

Total Price for this Retrofit after everything was said and done…$285.00.

**PRICE LIST**

PURCHASED:
Donor Headlight - Driver..........35
Donor Headlight - Passenger....60
H4 Wiring Harness.............. ..30
2 Hella Gen3 Ballasts..............50
2 Phillip D2S H4 4300K Bulbs. ..50
2 Infiniti FX45 Projectors........75
2 Acura TSX Projectors..........150
4 Malibu Light Covers.............30
Total......................................$480.00

SOLD:
Donor Headlight - Driver.........58
Donor Headlight - Passenger...55
Acura TSX Projectors............55
Infiniti FX45 Lenses...............27
Total......................................$-195.00

Grand Total............................$285.00

There were no misc cost involved b/c I already had plenty of tape, RTV silicone, zip ties, dremel bits and what else just laying around the garage.

It was definitely worth it IMO.

Last edited by Rock Slide; 09-16-2010 at 05:37 PM.
Old 08-18-2008, 08:00 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wow, great writeup! Looks really good.
Old 08-18-2008, 08:02 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
wow thats amazing
Old 08-18-2008, 08:13 AM

That looks sick man, this has def. been added to my favorites for a future reference!
Old 08-18-2008, 09:33 AM

Looks familiar....lol

Great job! It came out very nice and I'm glad I could help. I'm in the process of changing my projectors. I'm retroing a set of TL's with ZKW lens and I'm also adding a CCFL halo angel eyes ring around the projector (BMW style). I'll post pics when complete

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...246402536&rd=1
Old 08-19-2008, 05:20 AM
Contributing Member

pfdaxe, good luck with your own upgrade. Definitely looking forward to seeing the finished product.
Old 08-23-2008, 03:38 PM

Looks good man!
Old 08-23-2008, 04:06 PM

Originally Posted by pfdaxe
Looks familiar....lol

Great job! It came out very nice and I'm glad I could help. I'm in the process of changing my projectors. I'm retroing a set of TL's with ZKW lens and I'm also adding a CCFL halo angel eyes ring around the projector (BMW style). I'll post pics when complete

Ooh... You're going to add in the angel eyes?! I definitely want to see that. I was thinking about it but couldn't quite envision it looking good with such a big headlight. BUT I hope that you prove me wrong!

Great job on the retrofit! Looks great. Did either of you use anything to fill in the space around the malibu covers?
Old 08-23-2008, 04:13 PM

Amazing stuff and I'm sure many with benefit from your thoroughness.
You are quickly becoming the 3rd gen poster child.

P.S. what ever became of your cracked rim situation?
Old 08-23-2008, 05:41 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Stunning. Awesome. Incredible.

Dang you do nice wiring work.

We who like to copycat could not ask for a better tutorial. Very nice.
Old 08-23-2008, 08:36 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by pdyebrasil
Great job on the retrofit! Looks great. Did either of you use anything to fill in the space around the malibu covers?
Thx. Talking about that small space between the cover and housing that causes a shadow? Nah, I just left it as is. I wish the covers had a more "flush" fit, but it doesn't bother me all that much.

Originally Posted by Whitey13
Amazing stuff and I'm sure many with benefit from your thoroughness.
You are quickly becoming the 3rd gen poster child.

P.S. what ever became of your cracked rim situation?
Haha, thanks.

As for the cracked rim, it's sitting in my garage as we speak. Got a new rim on the 4Runner now. I learned the hard way what happens when you wheel rocks w/ aluminum wheels . Granted, that has not stopped me from still doing it, I've just learned to pick my lines better.

Originally Posted by Ron Helmuth
Stunning. Awesome. Incredible.

Dang you do nice wiring work.

We who like to copycat could not ask for a better tutorial. Very nice.
The wiring wasn't all that bad. It actually took more time to remove the airbox and battery (to mount the ballasts) than it did to run all the wiring and connect everything together.

Last edited by Rock Slide; 08-23-2008 at 08:43 PM.
Old 08-24-2008, 04:22 AM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
nice work looks great .... ive always wondered if taking apart the older frosted ones apart painting the housing black add the projectors and install the newer style clear glass part would look like
Old 08-24-2008, 03:09 PM
Contributing Member

Looks good, another nice retro. I'm doing another one soon, but going with a different style this time.
Old 08-24-2008, 05:20 PM

Originally Posted by pfdaxe
Looks familiar....lol

Coming from a BMW owner... every time I see a car that isnt a bimmer with halos, I just shrug and sigh. To me, it is like getting lambo doors on an acura - the only place they belong on a Lamborgini, hence the name

Rockslide: How on earth did you get the projectors and ballasts for only 285, let alone with a set of lights?!?!?! I figured you must have spent over a grando! Nicely done, man.
Old 08-24-2008, 05:33 PM

what did you do to your bumper dude!?!? a winch should a gone there lol
Old 08-24-2008, 05:38 PM
Banned

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts
Wow, Bill does electrical.

Old 08-24-2008, 06:09 PM

you should def make me sum, and ill pay you 4 sho
Old 08-24-2008, 06:35 PM
Contributing Member

Very sharp looking mod there... How does the plastic of those malibu lights stand up to the heat of the projectors? it looks to be just black styrene plastic... I want to see what the angle eyes looklike when you get there axeman..
Old 08-24-2008, 06:53 PM

aviator the black part was removed. it looks like the hood is metal.
Old 08-24-2008, 07:07 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Elton
nice work looks great .... ive always wondered if taking apart the older frosted ones apart painting the housing black add the projectors and install the newer style clear glass part would look like
Should look good. However, it would only look good on a black vehicle IMO. I've seen a picture of a newer style black Taco that had a set of projectors retrofitted in and the housings were painted black too. Looked sharp.

Originally Posted by berzerkrobot
Rockslide: How on earth did you get the projectors and ballasts for only 285, let alone with a set of lights?!?!?! I figured you must have spent over a grando! Nicely done, man.
What can I say, I got a deal! All my figures are on my computer at work...can't remember them off the top of my head, so I'll post the prices tomorrow so you can see what I spent.

Originally Posted by waskillywabbit
Wow, Bill does electrical.

crazy aint it. Even installed a new ceiling fan in the guest bedroom 2wks ago too

Originally Posted by UNR.Grad
Looks good, another nice retro. I'm doing another one soon, but going with a different style this time.
Awesome. Looking forward to the pics.

Originally Posted by CASTAIC 4RUNNER
what did you do to your bumper dude!?!? a winch should a gone there lol
Good eyes! I photoshopped my tag out. Trying to direct everyone's attention to my lights instead of the tag.

Originally Posted by racingcameron66
you should def make me sum, and ill pay you 4 sho
That's tempting, but I'd have to charge you an arm and a leg. I put more time in this retro than I ever planned too. I could have done them much quicker, but with as busy as I stay, I was doing good just to get an hour's worth of work in on a Saturday! Might be a while, before I get around to doing another retro...

Originally Posted by aviator
Very sharp looking mod there... How does the plastic of those malibu lights stand up to the heat of the projectors? it looks to be just black styrene plastic...
Thanks. Oh and there is no plastic involved in this retro. The covers themselves are a thin metal. That black plastic piece I removed from the inside of the cover is discarded.

Last edited by Rock Slide; 08-24-2008 at 07:09 PM.

Quick Reply: Another HID Bi-xenon Retrofit Install *PICS*