Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Another FMU (Field Unit Monitor) mod

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2007, 12:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Another FMU (Field Unit Monitor) mod

I just recently picked this up on ebay and its sweet. I'm still in the processes of finishing this up and I can thank RockSlide and other YT members for their write up...I figure I can contribute a little insight on how to hack the oem rear view mirror to fit for 96-98 4Runners and some misc. details.

You can go here for the Full Write up on wiring:
https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f2/h...68/#post984468

Here is the unit after I swapped in my OEM sunroof switches because the unit I got is Grey, while my interior is Tan.
The sunroof switches are identical except for the wiring harness.

Now here is the OEM rear view mirror which I'm sure is common for 96-98 models. You'll need to cut the following:

Just make sure you cut around the two mounting screws that surround the main point of the rear view mirror as this will allow you to mount it back like so.
You will also need to cut about an inch off the headliner to accommodate this unit.

Here are the wiring harness, the small one wired one is the constant +12V for the map lights and the other harness is for the sunroof controls. This is also different for 99-02 models.

Here is the unit prepped and ready for paint

Here is a shot of the test fit

More to come
Old 07-15-2007, 05:43 PM

Update to completed install

Here it is after paint. I ran to the nearest Home Depot to pick up a can of paint that closely matches it. Its Dark Taupe from Rustoleum.

The wiring schematics were a little different from RockSlide's write-up.
You will need to accesses this harness plug to get to the Ignition wire.

Once you got it pulled out, its the White with Red stripe:

Here is how I ran the wires, one for Speed Sensor, one for Light, Two wire for the Temp sensor.

Now heres the PITA as I can't get the Oh Sh@# handles out, I took off the sun visor and ran it under the plastic trim and behind the rubber door seal.

I can confirm that the its the Grey Wire with Blue stripe for the Speed sensor. Its located right behind the passenger side kick panel which I forgot to take a picture of.

And here are the finishing pics

Old 07-15-2007, 06:25 PM

Looks Great! I am curious about your rear view mirror though...it changed in your process...Is it for a wider field of view or something?
Old 07-15-2007, 06:50 PM

Yea...its a wider mirror that just clips on the original one....the wider angle puts the rear side windows in view.
Old 07-15-2007, 07:47 PM

Now if only they incorperated the tippy gauges to that unit!
Old 07-16-2007, 05:40 AM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Looks great and nice write up too!

From your pictures, looks like the paint turned out really well too. (I see now what you have to do w/ those style mirrors. Thanks for clearing that up.)

Was your temp sensor not wired up in the pictures, or is it faulty? Noticed the "-E" reading.
Old 07-16-2007, 07:30 AM

I didn't plug in the temp sensor as it didn't come with one....I ordered the one I mentioned last time to give it a try.....I'll keep you posted once it arrives.
Old 07-16-2007, 07:42 AM
Contributing Member

Ah, that makes sense. Sorry, lately I have had a lot of guys emailing me about FMs and I have been getting people confused who each other and who's working on what.

Don't know if you have seen it yet, but I posted a question to Stephenmarr to see if he can help us locate the origin of the 2 mysterious blu/wht and wht wires: https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f2/c.../#post50573599
Old 07-16-2007, 08:04 AM

That would be cool if stephenmarr could help us out....as mines a 97 also
Old 07-16-2007, 08:09 AM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Have an update for you on the sensor part number. The one listed here was not the same part number for the OEM sensor unless you got a different connector. The part number listed was for a 2001 4runner outside cooler thermistor. It will perform the same function but the connection was not the same as the plug and socket on my original sensor that I got from New Zealand which came right off the Surf the FMU was in. I did a test with no sensor and yes I too got a -E error code display so that told me the unit is functioning and does sense the "open" circuit but when I hooked it up using two single wires and connectors out of another harness connector, I was only reading about 6 degrees higher, still a full 9 degrees C too low. I did take a very close look at the internals and unless I missed something, there is no adjust ment for the temperature, but I did find a varible transistor on the circuit board. It is for adjusting the Barometer. Nice to know stuff. I turned the setting about two clicks to the left and the reading decreased. Now the only bad thing is the new sensor won't fit my supplied connector and trying to find a 2001 Runner with that installed option, well lets just say it won't be easy. Plus the dealership won't let you return electrical special order parts ... anyone need a sensor? I'll sell it cheap if I can't find a connection when I go to California later this week!

Last edited by Ritzy4Runner; 07-16-2007 at 08:19 AM.
Old 07-20-2007, 04:45 PM

As mentioned before this unit did not come with a ambient temp sensor, so I just browsed through eBay and spotted an Ambient Temp Sensor for dirt cheap...so I gave it shot. It was listed at Jeep Chrylser Dodge Ambient Outside Temperature Sensor ( yea, I know Jeep) for only $12.51 shipped. Here is what it looks like

It came in today and I just plugged it in and the -E code is gone....it works

On with the pics...finally installed and fully functioning:

Old 07-20-2007, 06:06 PM

Yes, I DO! The limiteds have a digital temp control that reads outside temp. My is only showing --. The ohms seem to change with a differnce in temp but yet I still get no outside temp. I think the part number you guys were using was for the one I mentioned. Not the actual FMU.
Old 07-20-2007, 06:26 PM

If this is the same thing you have. Let me know, and I'll take it off your hands. Part number 88625-32170
Old 07-22-2007, 11:17 AM

I obtained a Field Unit too, from the UK. I searched ebay UK for Hilux Surf, found a seller who was breaking a 3rd gen and had many other parts. My unit came without the temp sensor and the plastic lens cover that goes over the sunroof buttons and the maplights.
Rockslide's help plus the other threads were invaluable.
A couple of things I noticed when installing in a 98 Limited:-

I couldn't get a constant 12volt from either the original maplight feed or the sunroof controls. Why?? Because the unit would remain lit with the ignition off. I ran the constant 12v to the clock, and it works fine.

The speed sensor grey/blue wire is located on the bigger of the two white plugs that come off the bottom of the ABS unit. There are two wires with similar colouring, but the required one is pin# 1 or 2 on the right as you face the ABS unit.

I obtained a temp sensor from a European GM car, but it displays temp as being -10oC(in a warm climate!)It would appear the Field unit will only display correct temp with proper Toyota part. This was confirmed with the NZ. guy who sells these on ebay. He stated that most of units he sells are from vehicles that have been in front end smashes with the temp sensor getting destroyed, and he has tried many sensors from different manufacturers without success

Last edited by blarchitect; 08-08-2007 at 08:35 AM.
Old 07-22-2007, 12:55 PM

Looks like I'm gonna need to track down that OEM Temp sensor too. The one I got is reading in Negative Celsius, it hovers around -20 and -26...I'm gonna try tinkering with it later on, when its not so hot and see what happens.
Old 07-23-2007, 05:19 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by iceman601
Looks like I'm gonna need to track down that OEM Temp sensor too. The one I got is reading in Negative Celsius, it hovers around -20 and -26...I'm gonna try tinkering with it later on, when its not so hot and see what happens.
Wow, for a minute I thought you lived in some very, very cold conditions if your FM read -22! Glad to know that's not the case.

Hope you're able to get the temp sensor worked out!
Old 07-23-2007, 12:55 PM

Im still interested !Let me know!
Old 07-23-2007, 12:57 PM
Contributing Member

Frodin1, PM or email Ritzy4Runner...I believe he still has that temp sensor you're looking for
Old 07-24-2007, 03:25 PM

Hey Ritzy! If you still want to get rid of that sensor let me know! You have "No Contact Info" on your personal profile page. So I can't email or PM you.
Old 07-25-2007, 05:19 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by frodin1
Hey Ritzy! If you still want to get rid of that sensor let me know! You have "No Contact Info" on your personal profile page. So I can't email or PM you.
Ice, don't mean to take away from thread, so I'll just PM Frodin1 how to do this.

Quick Reply: Another FMU (Field Unit Monitor) mod