95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Another cool '86 to '95 IFS setup

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2002, 01:12 PM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Another cool '86 to '95 IFS setup

Was just on AOR's website and ran across this.

This setup uses torsion bars.

They also have a uniball setup instead of ball joints.
Old 12-26-2002, 02:14 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That looks pretty cool. And they're here in Colorado!
Now I just need to get a pickup...hmm
Old 12-26-2002, 03:29 PM

I wonder how those desert runner setups would do for our (Washington) type of off-roading?
Old 12-26-2002, 06:03 PM
Contributing Member

Whoa

That looks like a sweet set-up for IFS.
Jim
Old 12-27-2002, 07:55 AM
AOR

The long travel desert stuff loves to go fast and hit stuff hard! If your a crawler, this is the wrong kit for you. When your in 4WD, and the rig is trying to get traction with the front wheels, the front tires will try to pull the rig up the obsticle, and make the front tires point together / \ . Then comes the hop! Some of you IFS guys are aware of.. The added length and leverage of the new arms make all of this common IFS problems worse.

The low key wheeling, fire roads, and tearing though the desert is what you like, then, well this stuff is for you!! There is nothing better than hitting 3 foot whoops topped out in 3rd gear !!
Old 12-27-2002, 09:38 AM
Contributing Member

Man that would be awesome to have that kind of set up!
Old 12-27-2002, 06:05 PM

oh man that is sweet
me wnats me wants
Old 12-27-2002, 11:24 PM

Originally posted by AOR
The long travel desert stuff loves to go fast and hit stuff hard! If your a crawler, this is the wrong kit for you. When your in 4WD, and the rig is trying to get traction with the front wheels, the front tires will try to pull the rig up the obsticle, and make the front tires point together / \ . Then comes the hop! Some of you IFS guys are aware of.. The added length and leverage of the new arms make all of this common IFS problems worse.

The low key wheeling, fire roads, and tearing though the desert is what you like, then, well this stuff is for you!! There is nothing better than hitting 3 foot whoops topped out in 3rd gear !!
yeah! i kno how that is. i have a 91 yota pickup. i was attempting a hill one time, pretty rutted and off camber and steep. ... my buddy in his straight axle 85 pickup made it up first with ease. he was guiding me up it and i got to a point where i couldnt grab enuf. my front kept on jumping up and down, and then my buddy was all "STOP STOP STOP!!!" he said my front tires were doing this: / \ / \ he said not to do it in fear that i may break something.... my yota is my daily driver so i cant afford for it to be outta commission.
Old 12-29-2002, 05:41 AM
AOR

It's pretty hard on steering stuff also.. People who wheel their IFS rigs on a regular basis go through alot of idler arms because of that tow together problem / \.. A idler arm brace is a must. plus you can spend alot of money on alignments..
Old 12-29-2002, 08:57 AM

Originally posted by AOR
It's pretty hard on steering stuff also.. People who wheel their IFS rigs on a regular basis go through alot of idler arms because of that tow together problem / \.. A idler arm brace is a must. plus you can spend alot of money on alignments..
Actually I just happen to be looking to purchase an idler arm brace, funny you should mention.

I'm curious as to why only an idler arm brace is needed, and not also a pitman arm, or is it? I thought the pitman arm did almost the same thing as the idler arm, but on the driver's side, no?

Sorry, I'm not all that familiar w/the steering components.. Need some info.

Al
Old 12-29-2002, 09:30 AM
AOR

The pitman arm is cast and is a lot stronger, The idler arm is mounted in bushings and flexes. The bushing only allow a little give, the bushings fail, then it bends from the upward pressure from the tie rod. I have seen pitman arms bend, and break. Also the ball that is part of the pitman arm that goes into the cross link gets sloppy just like a bad ball joint. It's a good idea to carry a spare pitman and idle arm as a spare, don't forget a pitman arm puller! The average wheeler has a remote chance of this stuff breaking, the hardcore guys are the ones that are hard on this stuff. The brace you want is a smart move I think.. just my .02
Old 12-29-2002, 01:28 PM

Thank you for the explanation AOR.

I'll try locally first for the purchase. But otherwise, where's a good place to order my brace from?
Old 12-29-2002, 07:48 PM

Originally posted by HBoss
Thank you for the explanation AOR.

I'll try locally first for the purchase. But otherwise, where's a good place to order my brace from?
HAHAHA, in case you guys didn't recognize this user name, AOR IS a place to buy these from. WWW.AOR4X4.COM.

I'll give ya some feedback on these guys. Their products are excellent. I purchase Oribit Eye springs and the SAS kit from them. They also know Toys very, very well. The only problem I have had with AOR was trying to get in touch with them. I had to leave repeated phone calls and emails before I finally got through. I'd buy from them again, in fact, very shortly I'll be replacing my rear 56" leaf springs that I got from AllPro for a set of orbit eye springs as the articulation is far superior.

I would not recommend that anyone try to build a high articulation IFS setup for NW wheeling. If you want to go farther than something like Scott has, a 4" lift with some custom bracketry, the only way to go from there is SAS. The IFS will perform just fine for much of the driving many of you will do. You need to be prepared for gear changes, lockers, large tires, etc to justify the time and expense of an SAS. If that's your plans however, the SAS with AORs Orbit Eyes is by far the best that I've seen. They are more expensive, but what's an extra $100 or so when your spending a couple grand in an SAS anyway?

Here's some pics of the results.
Attached Images  
Old 12-30-2002, 03:47 PM
AOR

Gibby, We are trying hard to be better about the phones, as the one and only guy on the phone it's hard to do everything.. I'm glad you are happy with your springs. I can't wait till we do your rear springs...

As for the brace, We (Kevin and I) have talked about putting one on out web-site built buy us here, instead of buying it from someone else. So keep posted! If your in a hurry, Downey is the only one I know of who makes them.
Old 12-30-2002, 03:58 PM

NWOR makes them as well, or at least sells them...
Old 12-30-2002, 04:33 PM

oops! lol, thx upndair
Old 12-31-2002, 04:07 AM
AOR

I forgot about those guys:pat: