Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Another brake question...

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2008, 08:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Another brake question...

My 4Runner is due for some new rotors and pads... Mostly because I procrastinated and allowed my pads (or lack there of) to destroy my rotors...
It looks like I can do some drilled Brembo rotors and quality pads for my 4Runner for about the same price as regular brembos, quality pads, and calipers from a Tundra.
Unless my research and figuring is wrong I'm within about $50 of each other on this. Which will give me the most bang for my buck? I've got 199,xxx on the odometer so she's no spring chicken. I don't wheel nearly as often as I used to. I guess growing up and getting a real job will do that sometimes...I just don't have the time and it seems like I take the quads when we do go anymore. So that kind of use doesn't really need to be in the equation.
I've got a 6x10 utility trailer that I put 2 quads or 2 sportbikes on or my dad has a bass boat that I pull occasionally. That will be the extent of added stress on the brakes. Your thoughts and opinions would be greatly appreciated.
Old 09-28-2008, 08:44 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
First off you don't need anything drilled. Waste of money.

As you have found out - no rotor or pad is an "upgrade" if you eventually let it go metal to metal.

I also occasionally pull a trailer with 2 quads. Blank Brembo rotors and oem pads with stock calipers have been very good for the 40k miles I have put on them so far.

I think the Tundra option is worthwhile if you are in a hilly or mountainous region and you pull a trailer semi-frequently or more. Otherwise I don't believe it is necessary unless you get all the parts for a screaming deal.

And a note on rotor warpage: be sure the rear brakes are adjusted properly and also be diligent in torquing your wheel lug nuts to 83 ft/lbs.
Old 09-28-2008, 09:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I also have a leaky rear axle seal or something. There's grease back there, I just haven't had the time to figure it out yet. I'll be doing new shoes/drums too. I think that will help alot with my braking issues...because I'm pretty sure the rear isn't helping at all right now

I don't live in mountains exactly, but the ozarks in no way can be considered flat either. I probably pull the trailer once every couple weeks, so it isn't like I'm putting that stress on it regularly. I've got slightly larger tires and would like to go to 285's someday. I'm just ready to have my rig back to safe and predictable, because right now it isn't either.