Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Another Blown axle seal!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2004, 05:51 AM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Another Blown axle seal!! ***UPDATE***

I posted a topic yesterday about a problem that my 97 was having. It wouldn't move forward in D and felt like the brakes were sticking. Well I pull off my drums and voila, the left rear axle seal is leaking. The leak isn't bad, the pads were oil soaked, but it wasn't a horrible leak. This is the 2nd time that the Left Rear Axle seal has been replaced! So its at the dealer (since I don't know how to replace it) getting a new seal.

What is the deal with these seals?

Edit: Updated below.

Last edited by SLC Punk; 11-10-2004 at 07:09 AM.
Old 11-09-2004, 05:58 AM

Originally Posted by SLC Punk
I posted a topic yesterday about a problem that my 97 was having. It wouldn't move forward in D and felt like the brakes were sticking. Well I pull off my drums and voila, the left rear axle seal is leaking. The leak isn't bad, the pads were oil soaked, but it wasn't a horrible leak. This is the 2nd time that the Left Rear Axle seal has been replaced! So its at the dealer (since I don't know how to replace it) getting a new seal.

What is the deal with these seals?
Maybe your breather is plugged up? Maybe someone put the seal on too tight / wrong last time, a out of round spindle shaft?
Old 11-09-2004, 06:02 AM
Contributing Member

That was my first thought, I checked the breather (I extended it) the cap is not plugged. I also took it off and blew in it. No problems there.

The first time I had the axle seals replaced, both were blown. The dealer changed the inner seal, bearings and outer seal under the certified used car warrenty. A week later the Right Rear was leaking, so the dealer took it apart and checked the axle, it was straight, so they replaced the seals again and it hasn't leaked since. Now its the Left Rear!!

I am going to call the dealer and have them check the axle.
Old 11-09-2004, 06:08 AM

Hmmm..

That is kind of odd....
Old 11-09-2004, 07:23 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Even if you can blow in the extension, there can be oil in the loops of the hose that vapor lock.

I would ask myself how often I need deep water crossing peace of mind versus how often I want to replace axle seals.
Old 11-09-2004, 07:34 AM
Contributing Member

I didn't know that. Thanks!

I think I will cap off the extended line and hook it up before I go wheeling.
Old 11-09-2004, 08:04 AM
Contributing Member

Welcome to my nighmare....Isn't the second repair covered under a lifetime repair parts warranty?
Old 11-09-2004, 08:24 AM
Contributing Member

I just replaced both my rear axle seals at Brakes Plus and since they had to do new rear brakes I also had the fronts done,fluid flushed and they changed my supplied Mobile 1 synthetic oil and filter at no charge and got an alignment done and the bill came to just over $600 which I didn't think was too bad a deal but I guess I better pay attention to those seals and hope I don't have the smae issues.
Old 11-09-2004, 08:25 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by gapguy
Welcome to my nighmare....Isn't the second repair covered under a lifetime repair parts warranty?
I asked, and they said it was only 1 year.. I will ask him again when he calls me...
Old 11-09-2004, 01:33 PM

Allow me jump in the same boat too.

In March, I had the left seal replaced, new pads and all.

Now, November, blown again.

I noticed my brake pedal was getting mushy, so I pulled the drums to adjust the rears only to find the pads on the left soaked in oil. Bummer deal.

Time to get off my lazy butt and extend that breather plug.
Old 11-09-2004, 06:45 PM

Were you getting any noise out of the diff?

I had a chipped ring on my Previa's diff which caused the oil to over heat and cause the both seals to burst. The breather was fine and I had Redline oil in it, but it still overheated. I ran it for a while knowing the diff had problems, but didn't do anything until the noise couldn't be ignored.

Just something to think about if your replacing a lot of seals.
Old 11-09-2004, 07:25 PM

I had the right rear seal go at 110,000 miles. I replaced the seal, bearings and the little rubber o ring between the retaining plate and axle housing. Two weeks later the left side went so I repeated the procedure and also did the pinion seal. Haven't had any problems and that was 60K ago. Changing the seal is easy, if you're going to change the bearing you have to have a press - or take the axle shaft to have it pressed like I did. My guess is the installer dinked the seal with the axle as he was putting everything back together or installed the seal crooked.

Last edited by Steveh29; 11-09-2004 at 07:26 PM.
Old 11-10-2004, 05:11 AM
Contributing Member

The dealer called me. He said that both seals are blown. Strange I didn't see any fluid on my right rear seal when I looked at it. I addressed it with him and he said that since the dust is sticking to the inner part of the drum, it is leaking. Whatever. He said that they think that my axles are bent. To do both the axle seals was $900 and the axles would be an additional $900.

At that point, I lost it. I told him that they checked my axles when I had it done 20K miles ago. They said everything was fine and sent me on my way. This was fixed under the certified used car warrenty. I was so mad because that means that they didn't check anything. I went through how I was not going to pay $1800 for something that they had checked 2 years ago and said it was fine. I told him that these don't just go bad after 20K miles and that this is unacceptable that they want to replace everything (bearings, o rings, etc) and charge me $900 for that. I am going to talk to the shop manager today and see where he stands on the issue. I am so pissed right now!!
Old 11-10-2004, 06:38 AM
Contributing Member

Man, that blows! I know there seems to be quite a few 3rd gens with blown axle seals, and despite the water crossing comment by Adrian, I don't think they can all be attributed to that, seems to be some type of design flaw. Do a search and look at the # of threads about replacing rear axle seals SLC, especially being in Utah, do you even do that much water/mud wheeling?

Last edited by Mad Chemist; 11-10-2004 at 06:42 AM.
Old 11-10-2004, 07:09 AM
Contributing Member

***update***

I am very happy now. They tested the axles and they were fine. The dealership said that it looks like they pressed in the bearings wrong so that's why it is leaking. They are going to pick up all the costs for the seals, o-rings, bearings, brakes, etc. I am so relieved now! I was not looking forward to fighting with the shop manager.

To answer the question about mud and water crossings. I have never taken my 4Runner into those elements. I did that in my Ranger and its too big of a pain to clean it off afterwards.
Old 11-10-2004, 07:35 AM
Contributing Member

OMG Dealers Suck!!! I got both my rear seals, and shoes done for under $200! Talk about crazy! At least after trying to screw you, they're picking up the tab.
Old 11-10-2004, 07:58 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The breather extension may not be the root cause, but a person is more likely to get pissed on when they go to a public restroom.

Not sure about design flaws. The big parts are the same as all Toy axles from the beginning.
Old 11-10-2004, 09:28 AM

I would have been very surprised if you had bent axles. The housing is more likely to bend than the axle - and even that isn't going to bend unless you really REALLY thrashed on the truck. I got hit by a Ford F-150 in my truck. He T-Boned me in the rear axle. Didn't bend the housing or the axle (but it did tear up the body!). I'd also ask how the dealer checked the axles to determine they're bent. Mine were checked by putting the axle shaft on a lathe and measuring runout. I'm a little leery of a Toyota shop that has trouble pressing in bearings too! WHen your rear axle does go to pieces, I suggest hitting a reputable axle shop.
Old 11-10-2004, 09:40 AM

Glad to see you are being taken care of and they fixed the problem....
Old 11-11-2004, 04:47 AM
Contributing Member

The only reason I took it to the dealer is so I could find out why it was leaking again. It was fixed the first time under warranty.

I am going to ask them how they checked the axles when I pick it up today.

On the plus side, its been nice to drive my mom's 2002 ES300 for the past two days.

Quick Reply: Another Blown axle seal!!